Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Oct 5, 2014, 07:59 PM   #801
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Not sure if I understand what you're saying, so I'll have to ask questions.

Are you saying the "mystery" of Clara (which during Season 7 revolved around her "multiple lives") wasn't (fully) revealed in "The Name of the Doctor" episode? Or are you saying there is another major (Clara) plot point yet to be revealed?
He posted a leading question and a bunch of wiki info in order to then have a reason to respond with his own theory about Clara.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:21 PM   #802
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

I honestly have a hard time picturing River Song with Capaldi's Doctor.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:40 PM   #803
mojolicious
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
I honestly have a hard time picturing River Song with Capaldi's Doctor.
I have a hard time believing that otters would put up with him for a month, too. And I don't want to even begin to try and work out how and when Twelve and River could be known to one another.

I've absolutely no idea where they're going with this series. Twelve is grouchy and lacking in empathy, and Clara is becoming increasingly irritating and schoolmistressy. I have no interest in the Clara/Pink storyline. All will be resolved, obviously, but on balance I've found the first seven episodes to be individually rather weak and collectively rather disjointed.
mojolicious is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2014, 05:04 AM   #804
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolicious View Post
I have a hard time believing that otters would put up with him for a month, too. And I don't want to even begin to try and work out how and when Twelve and River could be known to one another.

I've absolutely no idea where they're going with this series. Twelve is grouchy and lacking in empathy, and Clara is becoming increasingly irritating and schoolmistressy. I have no interest in the Clara/Pink storyline. All will be resolved, obviously, but on balance I've found the first seven episodes to be individually rather weak and collectively rather disjointed.
The otter incident Doc 12 mentioned could have been something that he remembered from his previous incarnation, that's how I took it anyway.

I also disagree about this series, it has been great overall, and "Listen" is already on my list of best ever episodes.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:35 PM   #805
mojolicious
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
The otter incident Doc 12 mentioned could have been something that he remembered from his previous incarnation, that's how I took it anyway.
It simply didn't occur to me that The Doctor was referring to anything other than his Twelfth self, which I think is my fundamental problem with this series to date. The Nine>Ten>Eleven transitions were a trend of increased youthfulness and (overall) decreased angst, and I find it difficult to adjust to the jarring leap to Capaldi. He really does seem like a new man.

The wibbly wobbly vacillations of the parent/child, teacher/pupil relationship are hopefully coming to an end following Clara's blow-up at the end of the latest episode but we've obviously got a lot of the Danny Pink Story to come, which doesn't fill me with joyful anticipation!
mojolicious is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:02 PM   #806
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Hmm... was ANYONE actually surprised?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:57 PM   #807
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm not sure surprised is the word I would use...
Old Nov 2, 2014, 01:47 AM   #808
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well, I was surprised to learn they have Wi-Fi, iPads, and Steve Jobs in the Nethersphere!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:14 AM   #809
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Depending on how this series concludes, this could be the best one since series 5. Although I must admit, I'm getting a little sick of these time loops Moffat seems to love so much.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 02:39 PM   #810
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Depending on how this series concludes, this could be the best one since series 5. Although I must admit, I'm getting a little sick of these time loops Moffat seems to love so much.
I'm sick of them only using the Master in the new series (even if she's now "The Mistress"). Couldn't they bring back The Rani or even The Monk?

Last edited by APlotdevice; Nov 3, 2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 01:55 PM   #811
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Fairwell Osgood.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:25 AM   #812
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

I don't think that's the last we'll see of Clara...

I think if it were, there'd be a press release/event to announce the new companion/s, and/or confirming Jenna's departure.

Notice, Saint Nick says it's no way to end things... or some such.

Yes, the Rani would have been - well, better than the Master... I HATE the decision to re-gender the Master. It just makes a mockery of 40-odd years of the character.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 09:16 AM   #813
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Fairwell Osgood.
I'm betting she's pregnant. REmember Orson Pink? Although of course, "time can be rewritten."
Old Nov 11, 2014, 09:43 AM   #814
AlliFlowers
macrumors regular

I want the next series/season to be Doctor Who and not Doctor Clara. Peter Capaldi is wonderful and dark, and he has not been allowed the spotlight.

Meanwhile, they just dropped Clara's original "impossible girl" storyline. I expected her to die each episode.

Maybe we need some fresh blood in the writing team.
AlliFlowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:15 PM   #815
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
I'm betting she's pregnant. REmember Orson Pink? Although of course, "time can be rewritten."
I said Osgood, not Oswald.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:35 PM   #816
CYB3RBYTE
macrumors regular

It seems like every other season finally switches between The Doctor's two greatest enemies: The Daleks and The Master. Also, I wonder if Clara comes back for the christmas episode and wishes for Danny back from the afterlife? Maybe that is how Clara's storyline continues and how we get Orson Pink...

I really liked Capaldi, but I wish he would be a little more energetic. I know he is supposed to have that "I'm old now and I hate everyone" attitude, but he should be more like eleven in sprit, since he still remembers events from that regeneration more fondly than the others.

Overall I have no idea where the show will go or do next (besides the Christmas special), so I am kind of excited personally!

PS- If Moffat kills off this Doctor at Christmas time like he does every other Doctor, then we have proof that Moffat hates Christmas!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShater View Post
Does SciFi carry the latest episodes of the Doctor? or are we behind? (In the US)
Six years later, AND THIS STILL HASN'T HAPPENED! C'MON SciFi!!

Why Not Think Different?
CYB3RBYTE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:51 AM   #817
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I said Osgood, not Oswald.
D'oh yes, she (Osgood) was pretty cool for a minor character.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:48 PM   #818
localoid
macrumors 68020

Preview of the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special...

Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:19 PM   #819
iShater
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
It seems like every other season finally switches between The Doctor's two greatest enemies: The Daleks and The Master. Also, I wonder if Clara comes back for the christmas episode and wishes for Danny back from the afterlife? Maybe that is how Clara's storyline continues and how we get Orson Pink...

I really liked Capaldi, but I wish he would be a little more energetic. I know he is supposed to have that "I'm old now and I hate everyone" attitude, but he should be more like eleven in sprit, since he still remembers events from that regeneration more fondly than the others.

Overall I have no idea where the show will go or do next (besides the Christmas special), so I am kind of excited personally!

PS- If Moffat kills off this Doctor at Christmas time like he does every other Doctor, then we have proof that Moffat hates Christmas!

----------

Six years later, AND THIS STILL HASN'T HAPPENED! C'MON SciFi!!
Dude, did you just quote me from 6 years ago?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:26 AM   #820
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

1996's theme tune, as originally premiered at Manopticon 1996.

This is slightly different (and IMO better) than the aired version.

Last edited by cosmichobo; Dec 13, 2014 at 03:25 AM.
cosmichobo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:32 AM   #821
localoid
macrumors 68020

No Doctor Who theme music could ever be more amazing and magical than the original 1963 theme, largely because it was produced during a time long before music synthesizers had even been invented.

Delia Derbyshire, assisted by Dick Mills, created the theme (composed by Ron Grainer) in the of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, by cutting and splicing, and speeding up and slowing down pieces of analog tape on which recordings of test-tone oscillators (used for calibrating equipment and rooms) together with a recordings of a single plucked string had been made. Multitrack tape machines didn't yet exist either, so several different tapes were placed on multiple tape decks that were then started manually to produce a mix-down tape of the final result.

Few of today's electronic musicians would be crazy enough to even attempt to pull off something like this nowadays!

The Wikipedia article on Doctor Who theme music gives a more complete description of the process of creating the original theme soundtrack, along with details of the themes that followed it.

Video: The original full-length theme music

Last edited by localoid; Dec 13, 2014 at 03:10 AM.
localoid is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion