Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrUnknown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hello,

I need some help. I've looked everywhere. I am in the market to buy a new monitor and saw the following picture on apple's website (Picture Below)

What type/ brand is that black monitor connected to the MacBook Air?
I've attached a photo below:

Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 4.09.25 AM.png

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I would say it's a "generic" HDTV with AirPlay. Why would another brand monitor be in an (maybe) Apple promo shot with an AppleTV to boot?

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I would say it's a "generic" HDTV with AirPlay. Why would another brand monitor be in an (maybe) Apple promo shot with an AppleTV to boot?

Same, I think it is an HDTV that they are just showing the mirror option with the laptop and ATV on the HDTV.

MrUnknown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
It is connected to the MacBook because the screen depicts the Mac OS X Maverick OS, in addition to the apple tv.

MrUnknown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013

Apple has been known to display rival products alongside its products once in while.For example, in 2002, Apple displayed a Nec monitor EA23 without the logo connected to its Mac Mini.

----------

Offhand, I'd say it could be a Dell Ultrasharp.

Thank you MacMan, I will look into the Dell UltraSharps. I wish there was a monitor without logos that looked asthetically nice as the apple cinema displays. :D

----------

Offhand, I'd say it could be a Dell Ultrasharp.

I would've said it'd at least be a Sony model.

A few years ago when the ATV came out they had one hooked up to a Sony HDTV in the store to demo it.

Apple and Sony probably have some sort of friendship as I'm sure I've seen the sony logo (JONY?) on some of the iPhone prototypes from the Apple vs Samsung case.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/26/3189309/apple-sony-iphone-design-inspiration-iphone-4-looked-old

Very interesting SamOr, I read your link in amazement :)

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Thank you MacMan, I will look into the Dell UltraSharps. I wish there was a monitor without logos that looked asthetically nice as the apple cinema displays.

All monitors have logos on the front, including Apple's displays.

My advise - spring up for Apple Thunderbolt Display, and don't bother with 3rd-party screens. ATD integrates with MacBooks like nothing else - single-cable Thunderbolt connection and built in MagSafe = very clean setup.

MrUnknown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
All monitors have logos on the front, including Apple's displays.

My advise - spring up for Apple Thunderbolt Display, and don't bother with 3rd-party screens. ATD integrates with MacBooks like nothing else - single-cable Thunderbolt connection and built in MagSafe = very clean setup.

Thank you ctyrider for the advice. I am a little torn between a cinema display and MacBook air. Both are the same price, I feel like I am ripping myself off by getting a display from apple, but cutting my self short if I get the MacBook air. Too many choices!!!!!!!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
That one comes quite close:
Source

The bezel on the SONY you're suggesting, is much wider.

Hello, I need some help. I've looked everywhere. I am in the market to buy a new monitor and saw the following picture on apple's website (Picture Below) What type/ brand is that black monitor connected to the MacBook Air? I've attached a photo below:
View attachment 424980

It's probably a generic model, photo-shopped to deliberately make specific identification impossible, as they may not want to recommend/support any specific brand of monitor.

If a monitor like that specifically appeals to you, manufacturers' websites are going to be your best friend, or a visit to BestBuy or a similar store may do the trick. If those two options still won't tell you the brand and model, as a last resort, I'd say phone APPLE's PR dept.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It is connected to the MacBook because the screen depicts the Mac OS X Maverick OS, in addition to the apple tv.

That's demonstrating the ability in Mavericks to use an Apple TV to extend your desktop. So it's not "physically" connected to the MacBook, the MacBook is using it as an external display via Wi-Fi.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What type of monitor is this?
The same TV they use on their Airplay page:
http://www.apple.com/airplay/

That doesn't mean it's a monitor wired to the MacBook. Why would Apple randomly include the ATV if their intent is to demonstrate the Air wired to an external monitor?

Always consider context. Your photo appears to be from:
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/#gallery-multiple-displays-airplay

Under the photo is the text:
With AirPlay and Apple TV, your HDTV works as a fully functional display. So while you’re using your TV to present a slideshow or stream a video lecture, you can take notes on your Mac or chat using Messages.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Looks closer to a Pioneer Elite plasma based upon the bezel, base, and having seen Apple use the Pioneer Elite in stores before.

Pioneer no longer produces the Elite. Also, comparing the picture to my Pioneer Elite the bezels are different. Mine are quite a bit wider especially the sides.

urbanforces

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
hong kong

er...hello. it's an advert, which means it doesn't have to bear any relation to a real situation at all. all those elements will probably have been compiled in photoshop. it's generic and will look and do the same thing as thousands of other tvs out there. i don't see what's so special about it. why not go to the shop and have a look what they have. you may even find a better tv.

MrUnknown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Looks closer to a Pioneer Elite plasma based upon the bezel, base, and having seen Apple use the Pioneer Elite in stores before.

Thank you CLuv for the information. I checked on Amazon to see the price for fun and OMG! that thing is expensive. Still not quite the image match, but if you find anything close please post. Again, Thank You.

----------

The bezel on the SONY you're suggesting, is much wider.

It's probably a generic model, photo-shopped to deliberately make specific identification impossible, as they may not want to recommend/support any specific brand of monitor.

If a monitor like that specifically appeals to you, manufacturers' websites are going to be your best friend, or a visit to BestBuy or a similar store may do the trick. If those two options still won't tell you the brand and model, as a last resort, I'd say phone APPLE's PR dept.

You are absolutely right Macs4nw, I should try the PR dept. I have tried looking everywhere, but nothing seems to come close. I am starting to feel that it is just a photoshop image, but worth a try to ask on Macrumors. Thank you for the posting Macs4nw.

----------

er...hello. it's an advert, which means it doesn't have to bear any relation to a real situation at all. all those elements will probably have been compiled in photoshop. it's generic and will look and do the same thing as thousands of other tvs out there. i don't see what's so special about it. why not go to the shop and have a look what they have. you may even find a better tv.

I had a feeling that it may have been photoshop, it was worth a try asking on macrumors. It is something about that monitor/tv that attracted my attention. I can't sleep without finding out what it is :) Thank you for the posting urbanforces. If you find something close, please update me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.