Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:26 AM   #1
MrUnknown
macrumors newbie

What type of monitor is this?

Hello,

I need some help. I've looked everywhere. I am in the market to buy a new monitor and saw the following picture on apple's website (Picture Below)

What type/ brand is that black monitor connected to the MacBook Air?
I've attached a photo below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 4.09.25 AM.png
Views:	104
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	424980
MrUnknown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnknown View Post
Hello,

I need some help. I've looked everywhere. I am in the market to buy a new monitor and saw the following picture on apple's website (Picture Below)

I've attached a photo below:

Attachment 424980
Offhand, I'd say it could be a Dell Ultrasharp.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Julien
macrumors 68040

I would say it's a "generic" HDTV with AirPlay. Why would another brand monitor be in an (maybe) Apple promo shot with an AppleTV to boot?
Julien is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:24 AM   #4
scottw324
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
I would say it's a "generic" HDTV with AirPlay. Why would another brand monitor be in an (maybe) Apple promo shot with an AppleTV to boot?
Same, I think it is an HDTV that they are just showing the mirror option with the laptop and ATV on the HDTV.
scottw324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:39 AM   #5
priitv8
macrumors 65816

That one comes quite close:

Source
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Sam0r
macrumors regular

I would've said it'd at least be a Sony model.

A few years ago when the ATV came out they had one hooked up to a Sony HDTV in the store to demo it.

Apple and Sony probably have some sort of friendship as I'm sure I've seen the sony logo (JONY?) on some of the iPhone prototypes from the Apple vs Samsung case.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/26/31...e-4-looked-old
Sam0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:33 AM   #7
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
It's not connected to the MacBook. Look in the lower right, there is an Apple TV there. So as others said, it's just a generic HDTV.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
MrUnknown
macrumors newbie

It is connected to the MacBook because the screen depicts the Mac OS X Maverick OS, in addition to the apple tv.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:23 PM   #9
MrUnknown
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Apple has been known to display rival products alongside its products once in while.For example, in 2002, Apple displayed a Nec monitor EA23 without the logo connected to its Mac Mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Thank you MacMan, I will look into the Dell UltraSharps. I wish there was a monitor without logos that looked asthetically nice as the apple cinema displays.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam0r View Post
I would've said it'd at least be a Sony model.

A few years ago when the ATV came out they had one hooked up to a Sony HDTV in the store to demo it.

Apple and Sony probably have some sort of friendship as I'm sure I've seen the sony logo (JONY?) on some of the iPhone prototypes from the Apple vs Samsung case.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/26/31...e-4-looked-old
Very interesting SamOr, I read your link in amazement
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:03 PM   #10
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thank you MacMan, I will look into the Dell UltraSharps. I wish there was a monitor without logos that looked asthetically nice as the apple cinema displays.
All monitors have logos on the front, including Apple's displays.

My advise - spring up for Apple Thunderbolt Display, and don't bother with 3rd-party screens. ATD integrates with MacBooks like nothing else - single-cable Thunderbolt connection and built in MagSafe = very clean setup.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:24 PM   #11
MrUnknown
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
All monitors have logos on the front, including Apple's displays.

My advise - spring up for Apple Thunderbolt Display, and don't bother with 3rd-party screens. ATD integrates with MacBooks like nothing else - single-cable Thunderbolt connection and built in MagSafe = very clean setup.
Thank you ctyrider for the advice. I am a little torn between a cinema display and MacBook air. Both are the same price, I feel like I am ripping myself off by getting a display from apple, but cutting my self short if I get the MacBook air. Too many choices!!!!!!!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:57 PM   #12
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
That one comes quite close:
Source
The bezel on the SONY you're suggesting, is much wider.

Quote:
Hello, I need some help. I've looked everywhere. I am in the market to buy a new monitor and saw the following picture on apple's website (Picture Below) What type/ brand is that black monitor connected to the MacBook Air? I've attached a photo below:
Attachment 424980
It's probably a generic model, photo-shopped to deliberately make specific identification impossible, as they may not want to recommend/support any specific brand of monitor.

If a monitor like that specifically appeals to you, manufacturers' websites are going to be your best friend, or a visit to BestBuy or a similar store may do the trick. If those two options still won't tell you the brand and model, as a last resort, I'd say phone APPLE's PR dept.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #13
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
It is connected to the MacBook because the screen depicts the Mac OS X Maverick OS, in addition to the apple tv.
That's demonstrating the ability in Mavericks to use an Apple TV to extend your desktop. So it's not "physically" connected to the MacBook, the MacBook is using it as an external display via Wi-Fi.
FreakinEurekan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:25 PM   #14
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
What type of monitor is this?
The same TV they use on their Airplay page:
http://www.apple.com/airplay/

Quote:
That doesn't mean it's a monitor wired to the MacBook. Why would Apple randomly include the ATV if their intent is to demonstrate the Air wired to an external monitor?

Always consider context. Your photo appears to be from:
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/#ga...splays-airplay

Under the photo is the text:
Quote:
With AirPlay and Apple TV, your HDTV works as a fully functional display. So while you’re using your TV to present a slideshow or stream a video lecture, you can take notes on your Mac or chat using Messages.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:34 PM   #15
CLuv
macrumors 6502

Looks closer to a Pioneer Elite plasma based upon the bezel, base, and having seen Apple use the Pioneer Elite in stores before.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:32 PM   #16
Jefe's MacAir
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLuv View Post
Looks closer to a Pioneer Elite plasma based upon the bezel, base, and having seen Apple use the Pioneer Elite in stores before.
Pioneer no longer produces the Elite. Also, comparing the picture to my Pioneer Elite the bezels are different. Mine are quite a bit wider especially the sides.
Jefe's MacAir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:03 AM   #17
urbanforces
macrumors newbie

Quote:
er...hello. it's an advert, which means it doesn't have to bear any relation to a real situation at all. all those elements will probably have been compiled in photoshop. it's generic and will look and do the same thing as thousands of other tvs out there. i don't see what's so special about it. why not go to the shop and have a look what they have. you may even find a better tv.
urbanforces is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:08 AM   #18
MrUnknown
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLuv View Post
Thank you CLuv for the information. I checked on Amazon to see the price for fun and OMG! that thing is expensive. Still not quite the image match, but if you find anything close please post. Again, Thank You.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
The bezel on the SONY you're suggesting, is much wider.

It's probably a generic model, photo-shopped to deliberately make specific identification impossible, as they may not want to recommend/support any specific brand of monitor.

If a monitor like that specifically appeals to you, manufacturers' websites are going to be your best friend, or a visit to BestBuy or a similar store may do the trick. If those two options still won't tell you the brand and model, as a last resort, I'd say phone APPLE's PR dept.
You are absolutely right Macs4nw, I should try the PR dept. I have tried looking everywhere, but nothing seems to come close. I am starting to feel that it is just a photoshop image, but worth a try to ask on Macrumors. Thank you for the posting Macs4nw.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanforces View Post
er...hello. it's an advert, which means it doesn't have to bear any relation to a real situation at all. all those elements will probably have been compiled in photoshop. it's generic and will look and do the same thing as thousands of other tvs out there. i don't see what's so special about it. why not go to the shop and have a look what they have. you may even find a better tv.
I had a feeling that it may have been photoshop, it was worth a try asking on macrumors. It is something about that monitor/tv that attracted my attention. I can't sleep without finding out what it is Thank you for the posting urbanforces. If you find something close, please update me.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Looks like a cheap tv from years back
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater