Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I have recently found that when Time Machine starts to back up until a short while after it has finished backing up my mouse pointer sticks and stutters around the screen.

I do not use A Time Capsule I have a partition setup for it to use.

Any ideas anyone ?

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I have recently found that when Time Machine starts to back up until a short while after it has finished backing up my mouse pointer sticks and stutters around the screen.

I do not use A Time Capsule I have a partition setup for it to use.

Any ideas anyone ?

I am still fairly new to Mac, and it didn't take me long to figure out that I would never use TM again when we have such great free apps such as SuperDuper, or better yet my choice, Carbon Copy Cloner.

I had a lot of problems with TM and I am so happy I found CCC instead.:)

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I only had this problem with my 2008 iMac that was connected to the TC via WiFi. When I connected it with an ethernet cable, I didn't have the problem.

My 2012 MBA doesn't have the problem with WiFi. So it may be the processor speed has an issue, or maybe the Bluetooth module is better (I'm assuming you are also using a Bluetooth wireless mouse).

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I only had this problem with my 2008 iMac that was connected to the TC via WiFi. When I connected it with an ethernet cable, I didn't have the problem.

My 2012 MBA doesn't have the problem with WiFi. So it may be the processor speed has an issue, or maybe the Bluetooth module is better (I'm assuming you are also using a Bluetooth wireless mouse).

I have a wired mouse.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Have you noticed whether Spotlight is indexing after a backup completes? Try clicking on the Spotlight menu or just looking at the icon to see if there is a dot pulsing. You can exclude the partition you backup to from being indexed by adding it to the Privacy tab in Spotlight preferences.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Have you noticed whether Spotlight is indexing after a backup completes? Try clicking on the Spotlight menu or just looking at the icon to see if there is a dot pulsing. You can exclude the partition you backup to from being indexed by adding it to the Privacy tab in Spotlight preferences.

Nope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.