Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phobos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Hi guys I wanted to share my frustration with the Apple tax that is very real in some countries.
There was a point 15 years or so ago where apple prices here in Greece were controlled by a single reseller and as a result the prices were insanely high.
After petitions and some changes in the reseller landscape things have improved and as a result we at least had parity with UK prices which as you might know also is a expensive country in Apple land. But it was a huge improvement.
But what I've noticed for the past few years is a change in pricing for the worse. The general rule of thumb is whatever the price is in dollars it'll be converted to euro and usual with a slight hike upwards! Which of course doesn't make any sense at all!

Let's say you wanted to pay for the overpriced ram upgrade for the iMac.
US: 32 GB of memory 600$.
In Greece: 666€ (no it's not a joke)
So even if you add tax to the US price there's no way you'll be able to reach the Greek price.

The same goes for other items.
For example Apple keyboard
US: 69$ Greece: 80€ (!!)

Magic Trackpad
US: 69$ Greece: 77€

Retina iPad 64GB
US: 699$ Greece: 739€

As you can see even if for example you add a 30% VAT in the US price which I'm quite sure is not even in that vicinity you still won't reach the Greek price. Greece has 23% VAT.

I'm not sure who is to blame here but I have a sneaky suspicion that Apple is the one responsible here. The resellers are sure hiking up the prices to have a profit ( especially in third party peripherals with prices for the same product varying greatly among them) but I think the major spike comes from Apple here.

I know that there aren't a lot of thing we can do to change that but I was wondering what is the experience of other Apple users in other countries.

Please do share your list of overpriced items!

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
If you think that's bad, look at NZ or Australia. We have it worse than anyone.

phobos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Is it really? Maybe it's on some products and not others.
I just built a similarly specced iMac and Greece's is way more expensive.

iMac 27", 3,4 i7, 1TB fusion, 680MX
Australia ~ 2213 euro (2889 A$)
New Zealand ~ 2584 euro (4159 NZ$)
Greece 2968,58 euro

In fact I just did a quick check, and Australia seems to be way cheaper than a lot of other countries. UK, Germany and Greece being just a few of them.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Really? Wow, things must have changed since I last looked. Good to know.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It is no secret that Apple's products are cheapest in the US. Everywhere else gets extra cost added on for some reason. Part of the Apple tax.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
It's not just VAT, there are also import/custom taxes as Apple gear comes from a non-EU country.

It is no secret that Apple's products are cheapest in the US. Everywhere else gets extra cost added on for some reason. Part of the Apple tax.

Actually, Apple products prices excluding taxes are roughly the same as in the US in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Last edited:

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Could be there is some kind of import tax that Apple is passing along to customers there or the resellers, being few and far between are gouging a bit. Either way, the financial incentive has been created for people to find another vendor or go PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.