Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xandable

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
California
So I dropped my iPad 3 and cracked the screen, but the issue is I also dented the iPad at the bottom right!

3rd party repairers told me it would be $280 and I just instantly left. I know Apple will do an out of warranty for approx $300 so there's no need to just have my iPad 3 repaired.

I decided to play around with the iPad Mini in store and wow it's awesome to hold. So light and portable, the text on the screen did seem a bit jaggedy so that was the only turn off. I could pick that up for $330 I guess, it's not that bad in price.

I had no issues with the iPad 3's size and weight, not until I grabbed and played with the mini. Replacing my 3 with a 4 would be the most logical choice because I already have an iPhone 5. I find it almost silly to have a 4" phone and then have a 7.9" tablet..... but to drop $500 on another tablet also seems a bit excessive.

Now if only I could convince a genius to replace my 3 with a 4 for $300 (I know this isn't happening but I can dream) I am gonna stop by the Apple Store later tonight and see what they say. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones who gets it replaced for free :p

Actually I think you'll find having both a 4" and a 7.9" is not silly at all. I find the experiences totally different (if for no other reason than you're using iPad apps vs iPhone apps). What was surprising is that I actually use my phone less now that I have the iPad mini. I actually wrote a whole blog post about it (see my sig).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.