Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Mine seriously does not rattle, the only thing that rattles is the power button. My camera lens doesn't rattle at all.

this is the same for me. my camera doesnt rattle. the button does though. i hold it down and no sound. if i shake my phone or it vibrates, i hear the button rattle.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
My camera does not rattle, either. My power button does (when I put my finger on the button and give it a little shake the rattle stops). I don't hear any movement from the camera.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Eh5KBqqq2NQMykj6.medium

Its likely to be the vibration motor which has moving parts within. I took mine apart, shook the phone holding the cam down and could visibly hear the vibrator rattling together.

Its next to the circled screw.... the camera is on the opposite side.

Ive been into Genius twice for this now, once i was told it was camera, second time it was vibrator motor

IanGahagan

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Montana

Its likely to be the vibration motor which has moving parts within. I took mine apart, shook the phone holding the cam down and could visibly hear the vibrator rattling together.

Its next to the circled screw.... the camera is on the opposite side.

Ive been into Genius twice for this now, once i was told it was camera, second time it was vibrator motor

I second this. If your meticulous enough and shake your phone next to your ear for hours you will hear the motor moving a bit which is normal. plus its near the camera. Same with the 4 and 4S.

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL
Ive had conflicting information from Apple, so i decided to open up my IP5 (water damaged so didnt really matter in the end).

The rattling was actually coming from the VIBRATOR next to the camera port and not infact the camera lens as many think of being the cause. So i shook the phone whilst the case was off and could physically see the the vibrator moving in sync with the rattling noise.

Apple Genius confirmed this so i got a feeling it might be something to do with how tightly screwed in the vibrator actually is, i cant actually tell as the dozen or so ip5's ive checked out ALL rattle.

Bro shine a light and get some type of vibrator app you will se the camera go up and down (rattling)

timjohn77

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I noticed a similar "rattle" on my iPhone 5 the day it arrived. When I tapped the back around the apple logo, or when i set the device down I could hear a minor rattle.
Made an appointment with an Apple Genius and when I explained that my phone had a slight rattling noise, he said it was normal and something about the vibrate mechanism sitting right at that spot. I checked out half a dozen in store display units and every one of them had this "rattle" so I was satisfied that this was normal.

However, IMHO, it gives the phone a "cheap" build quality feel to me.
I don't recall my 3GS ratting at all. Had it for 3 years and never heard a rattling noise.
I guess the 5 has a different design.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Bro shine a light and get some type of vibrator app you will se the camera go up and down (rattling)

I would but got a replacement now, your theory sounds legit though thinking about it. Shame i couldnt test

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I don't recall my 3GS ratting at all. Had it for 3 years and never heard a rattling noise.
I guess the 5 has a different design.

Are you serious? You can not be this ignorant, can you? 'I guess it has a different design?'. Wow. :mad:

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL
I would but got a replacement now, your theory sounds legit though thinking about it. Shame i couldnt test

The problem im having is that they say it normal but then then some people says that there's doesn't rattle so it negates what Apple or anyone says!

I hate the Rattle and its enough to make a veteran iPhone user like myself and switch to a different phone, Iv'e had the 4s the 4 with replacement's down the line for othere non related issues and not one of them had a rattle

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
The problem im having is that they say it normal but then then some people says that there's doesn't rattle so it negates what Apple or anyone says!

I hate the Rattle and its enough to make a veteran iPhone user like myself and switch to a different phone, Iv'e had the 4s the 4 with replacement's down the line for othere non related issues and not one of them had a rattle

I picked up at least 7 IP5's whilst i was having the same discussion with Genius, EVERY single one of them rattled. Id almost stick my neck out to say id be worried if it DIDNT rattle slightly....

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL
I picked up at least 7 IP5's whilst i was having the same discussion with Genius, EVERY single one of them rattled. Id almost stick my neck out to say id be worried if it DIDNT rattle slightly....

Yoo thats BS!! GS3 HTC One X the camera do not shake!! And they take the same quality pictures, This is clearly a design flaw that apple cannot fix. My 4 and 4s never rattled.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Yoo thats BS!! GS3 HTC One X the camera do not shake!! And they take the same quality pictures, This is clearly a design flaw that apple cannot fix. My 4 and 4s never rattled.

Are you 100% sure of it though? Im only saying of all the iphones ive picked up not one didnt rattle so im starting to think its actually supposed to a rattle.
****** yes but im sure some kind of quality control must be in place to test the rattling. Cant beleive they would let so many IP5's go out without knowing about it.

Until Apple officially confirm i guess we none the wiser

timjohn77

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Are you serious? You can not be this ignorant, can you? 'I guess it has a different design?'. Wow. :mad:

OK, obviously it's a different design. Bad choice of wording on my part. I don't see why it makes you mad at me. I didn't design this inferior product.
Take it up with Apple.

I'll repeat. I think it makes the iPhone 5 feel cheap and I'm sure others will agree. There was no rattle in my 3GS.
It's a design flaw if it's "normal" as I was told by the so called Genius.

:rolleyes:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
As someone who's returned an iPhone 4s and an iPhone 5 for this, I can assue you that the majority of them do this -- all to varying degrees.

My first 4s sounded like a sack of nickles when I'd tap it or put it down. Got a replacement that was MUCH quieter but still had it. My wife has the phone now and it doesn't bother her. It's pretty prounounced, especially if you listen for it.

My iPhone 5 had the same "issue" upon arrival. Could it have anything to do with the p*ss poor packaging that they do when shipping via fedex...? Nah... :rolleyes:

Not horribly discouraged, I pondered it and rolled the dice for a new one hoping to have the same experience with my 4s (not eliminated but drastically reduced).

Was it reduced? a fraction of an amount. If the "intensity" of the rattle was a 9/10 it went to an 8.5/10 ha ha. Totally not worth the headache of replacing (long story).

I'm with cfcboy and would almost wonder if it's abnormal to *not* make any noise... I've done a lot of reading and posted many links in other threads to camera lens design snippits found on the internet that pretty much confirm that, if no "locking" mechanism is in place to lock the moving AF lens in place, it will wiggle around in there. If it doesn't make any noise, perhaps it's out of the tolerance and stuck or there's a problem with the AF lens.

Either way, my advice to others is to do your best to ignore it. Every single iPhone 4s and 5 that I've ever touched has done this. You won't see it as much/bad with the 4 as it was different. You're likely to see it with every 4s and 5 to some degree.

----------

...also for those of you wondering how to test this you'll need to eliminate the sleep/wake button by touching it with one finger. This wiggles ever-so-slightly on both of my 5's (didn't on my 4s) so I think it does more on the 5. Anyway, open the camera app and start tapping the back to repro the nose. As you tap, tap the screen with the other hand to activate the AF lens. Note that during the 1-2 seconds that the AF mechanism is working, the rattling nose gets drastically reduced (since the lens is being actively used).

Try it!

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
As someone who's returned an iPhone 4s and an iPhone 5 for this, I can assue you that the majority of them do this -- all to varying degrees.

My first 4s sounded like a sack of nickles when I'd tap it or put it down. Got a replacement that was MUCH quieter but still had it. My wife has the phone now and it doesn't bother her. It's pretty prounounced, especially if you listen for it.

My iPhone 5 had the same "issue" upon arrival. Could it have anything to do with the p*ss poor packaging that they do when shipping via fedex...? Nah... :rolleyes:

Not horribly discouraged, I pondered it and rolled the dice for a new one hoping to have the same experience with my 4s (not eliminated but drastically reduced).

Was it reduced? a fraction of an amount. If the "intensity" of the rattle was a 9/10 it went to an 8.5/10 ha ha. Totally not worth the headache of replacing (long story).

I'm with cfcboy and would almost wonder if it's abnormal to *not* make any noise... I've done a lot of reading and posted many links in other threads to camera lens design snippits found on the internet that pretty much confirm that, if no "locking" mechanism is in place to lock the moving AF lens in place, it will wiggle around in there. If it doesn't make any noise, perhaps it's out of the tolerance and stuck or there's a problem with the AF lens.

Either way, my advice to others is to do your best to ignore it. Every single iPhone 4s and 5 that I've ever touched has done this. You won't see it as much/bad with the 4 as it was different. You're likely to see it with every 4s and 5 to some degree.

----------

...also for those of you wondering how to test this you'll need to eliminate the sleep/wake button by touching it with one finger. This wiggles ever-so-slightly on both of my 5's (didn't on my 4s) so I think it does more on the 5. Anyway, open the camera app and start tapping the back to repro the nose. As you tap, tap the screen with the other hand to activate the AF lens. Note that during the 1-2 seconds that the AF mechanism is working, the rattling nose gets drastically reduced (since the lens is being actively used).

Try it!

yep. just tried it. this is exactly what my phone is doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.