Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:21 AM   #151
mikeboss
macrumors 6502a

AFAIR this is, unfortunately, expected behavior...
mikeboss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2015, 09:39 AM   #152
gekalegoret
macrumors newbie

Cannot run ahci-1.sh script and unable to patch MBR

Hi everyone !

I hope somebody will read my question here since this is a relatively old thread.
I've read and followed very carrefully (by the letter) the "gugucom" tutorial which is quite clear. Thanks for it !
So far, I've been able to successfully patch the Windows Registry and installing the MS AHCI 1.0 driver.
But I'm now stuck in the Mac OS X portion. I'm unable to patch the MBR.
I have placed the unzipped "ahci-1.sh" script on the Mac desktop. I have opened Terminal. I have typed "sudo" followed by a blank and then dragged the script in the Terminal window. I have typed "return". Terminal has asked me for my administrator password. After typing it, all I got was :
sudo : /Users/geka/Desktop/ahci-1.sh: command not found
Consequently there is no patching of the MBR...

I don't dare to return to Windows since, 2 mods have already been done.
Can someone get me out of this trap ?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Georges

Last edited by gekalegoret; Apr 11, 2015 at 04:15 PM.
gekalegoret is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:12 PM   #153
gekalegoret
macrumors newbie

I solved the previous question - But got a new one...

I'm answering my own question.

I've finally figured out a way of running the "ahci-1.sh" script within the Terminal. I had to type "sudo bash" instead of "sudo" only and it worked. I was able to execute the script but I must have goofed somewhere in my inputs because when rebooting Windows I got the message "A disk read error occured" Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
I suppose I have patched the MBR wrongly. I'll try to restore it (hopefully...) and start again.
I think I'm progressing, even thought it is very slowly...
Any advise any way welcome.

Georges

Last edited by gekalegoret; Apr 11, 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 04:14 PM   #154
gekalegoret
macrumors newbie

I give up for now

I have not been able to restore the MBR from the "backup.mbr" nor to figure out a way to correctly patch that MBR.
So at this stage I'm restoring my Bootcamp partition from my Winclone backup. (A few hours are needed !) Hopefully I'll recover Windows...
I hope to attempt the whole process again later when I'll have a more precise modus operandi...
It should be simple. That's the way it seems to be...
I have a Macbook Pro Core 2 duo (Oct 2006) with a single SSD inside. On this SSD, I have one partition for Mac Os X 10.6.8 and one Bootcamp partition for Win7 x64. (Bootcamp 3.3).
All what I need so far is a more precise description of how to patch the MBR using the "achi-1.sh" script within Terminal.
The script initialy says it has found a partition with Windows on it (dev/disk0) but at a second stage says I'm using an unknown OS... That's where I'm confused.
A this point, that is the only part of the "gugucom" tutorial that I consider far too vague. (I apologise for having to say this).
This tutorial is a masterpiece as it indicates that it should be possible to activate AHCI in Windows without Bios but unfortunately it is not sufficently detailed and precise for newbies like myself who really need to be taken by the hand to cross a major difficulty like patching the MBR. It has also a tendency to address to many options at once (XP, Vista, Win7). XP and Vista were probably relevant issues 5 years ago but today a tutorial addressing W7 only shoud suffise. Maybe Gugucom will read this...
People have successfully activated AHCI... I only dream I could do the same.
Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.

Georges

Last edited by gekalegoret; Apr 11, 2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 02:35 PM   #155
gekalegoret
macrumors newbie

Done ! I have successfully activated AHCI in Windows

I will post how I achieved it. But later because right now I'm exhausted...
Old Apr 13, 2015, 05:00 AM   #156
gekalegoret
macrumors newbie

AHCI successfully activated on a MacBook Pro (2006)

I feel that I'm pretty much speaking to myself here. But if somebody reads this thread one day, here is how I achieved it.

*** Following some Googling, I found somewhere a forum where a user was saying that : the Paragon NTFS driver changes the file system of the Bootcamp partition to “compressed”.
After uninstalling the Paragon NTFS driver from the OS X side of my Mac and rebooting in Mac OS X the Bootcamp partition was changed to a Mac OS X Extended one and finally seen and recognized !

*** Even though the Bootcamp partition was identified by “AHCI enabler”, this program failed to patch the MBR correctly, ending up with a “read disk” error when booting into Windows. As bad as a BSoD. Exact same error that the one generated by the "achi-1.sh" script.
Nevertheless, I finally solved the issue and I have been able to activate AHCI anyhow by following this procedure : (Thank you to its author !)

http://www.adminsehow.com/2012/10/ho...acbook-or-etc/

I had to learn a little bit of Terminal language which I was not familiar with…
Follow exactly (i.e. by the letter) what is said on that page. Boot from Mac Os X install DVD, etc.

*** I think it’s a pity that I had to spent almost 36 hours before enabling AHCI under Windows, something that could easily have been done by simply ticking a box, because Apple is trying to demonstrate dishonestly (by deliberately disabling AHCI on the other side of THEIR own machine…) that their stuff is superior to the one of the competition. Very stupid attitude IMHO since I have bought my MacBook from them even if it is to run Windows with it…

But its finally works, that's the most important !
Thank you very much to "gugucom" for starting this topic, prooving this can be done, despite Apple's sabotage !

Old Apr 20, 2015, 05:19 PM   #157
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Intel Matrix Storage Manager is no longer there. Am I correct in assuming that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology is its replacement? Can I use that? (I've got a 2008 Mac Pro btw.)

EDIT:

Apparently it is. However it won't install for me, so I installed the latest ver of Intel Matrix Storage Manager in the downloads section.

Last edited by MythicFrost; Apr 20, 2015 at 11:06 PM.
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2015, 02:02 AM   #158
gekalegoret
macrumors newbie

Intel drivers

The file that I've downloaded from Intel's site is named : IATA89CD.exe (22.6 Mb). The setup.exe is from Macrovision Corporation and is version 12.0.0.49974.
It was downloaded from here (item before last on the page):

Intel® Matrix Storage Manager - 7/17/2009 - 8.9.0.1023

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...ogy-Intel-RST-

It worked well for me.

BTW: I have written a complete tutorial of what "I" did but I cannot post it here because it is rejected by the site's firewall... Apparently it contains code that is not authorized.

Georges
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:49 PM   #159
tigerintank
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekalegoret View Post

BTW: I have written a complete tutorial of what "I" did but I cannot post it here because it is rejected by the site's firewall... Apparently it contains code that is not authorized.

Georges
If you've posted it elsewhere I for one would appreciate a pointer to it. Suspect there'll be others too.
tigerintank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2015, 03:30 PM   #160
gekalegoret
macrumors newbie

Tuto

If you are interrested by what I did. Just PM me, in return I'll send you a .pdf file with the story of how I succeeded to activate AHCI.

Cheers,

Georges

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro