Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Apple clearly states to use the WAN ports on all the AEBS units involved in a roaming network.

Oh I didn't read his roaming requirement, I was concentrating on his thruput complaint.

OK assume u are correct about this roaming thing, then the extremes cannot be used as Gbit switches. The WAN port imposes bandwidth degradations.

Last edited:

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
All in all, why do you need these connections to be wired? Any specific reason?

For large file transfers. I do the video encoding on the iMac and the mini is the media center. So when I need to transfer files I want the speed of wired. Not that big a deal since I only encode a couple of movies a month.

----------

Oh I didn't read his roaming requirement, I was concentrating on his thruput complaint.

OK assume u are correct about this roaming thing, then the extremes cannot be used as Gbit switches. The WAN port imposes bandwidth degradations.

I get the same 11.5MB/s whether I connect LAN-LAN or LAN-WAN.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
For large file transfers. I do the video encoding on the iMac and the mini is the media center. So when I need to transfer files I want the speed of wired. Not that big a deal since I only encode a couple of movies a month..

Have you tried just using one Airport Extreme Station and hooking everything to that? Get rid of the Gigabit switch, personally, I find it as more of an obstacle.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Have you tried just using one Airport Extreme Station and hooking everything to that? Get rid of the Gigabit switch, personally, I find it as more of an obstacle.

I would need to run another cable about 50 feet. Wasn't that easy the first time so I wasn't looking forward to running a second.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I would need to run another cable about 50 feet. Wasn't that easy the first time so I wasn't looking forward to running a second.

Honestly, I would run it. Let one station run everything and simplify the network.

Unless you need the second one for wireless extension, then I wouldn't even bother.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Very Random Thought...

Make sure all the connected machines have time machine back-up turned off (if you're using a NAS.) I've found that messes up my extended network when working with video files off a server.

YMMV

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Honestly, I would run it. Let one station run everything and simplify the network.

Unless you need the second one for wireless extension, then I wouldn't even bother.

I need the second AEBS as an extension to reach the bedroom over the garage (far end of house) where my son has his Macbook Pro and Gaming PC. The MacBook Pro can reach the far router albeit with very low signal. The wireless adapter on the PC (TP Link Dual Band adapter) can not reliably see the far router on the 5GHz band.

----------

Make sure all the connected machines have time machine back-up turned off (if you're using a NAS.) I've found that messes up my extended network when working with video files off a server.

YMMV

I do have a 2TB disk connected to the main router that serves as time machine for all the Macs in my house. But that is not the issue. If I run the transfer test with the 2 routers in series I get the 11.5MB/s. If I immediately take the second router out of the picture (using the same CAT5e cable direct to the Mini) I immediately get 108MB/s. If time machine transfers were getting in the way I would not expect such a consistent jump.

My guess is that the 11.5MB/s is the effective transfer rate for 100baseT (Fast Ethernet). 108MB/s is the transfer rate for 1000baseT (Gigabit Ethernet). When connecting my 2 routers in series I am getting knocked down to 100baseT somewhere in the path. Both the mini and the iMac are reporting that they are connected at 1000baseT in the hardware information. So I guess it must be in the link between the 2 routers.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I believe it may have been asked earlier, but what generation AEBS units are you using?

4th generation.

I found someone locally selling a 5th gen for $50 so I might just pick it up in case my router itself is damaged. Worst case, if it makes no difference, I will give it to my daughter who just moved to a new place and is using a mediocre Dlink router.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
My guess is that the 11.5MB/s is the effective transfer rate for 100baseT (Fast Ethernet). 108MB/s is the transfer rate for 1000baseT (Gigabit Ethernet). When connecting my 2 routers in series I am getting knocked down to 100baseT somewhere in the path. Both the mini and the iMac are reporting that they are connected at 1000baseT in the hardware information. So I guess it must be in the link between the 2 routers.

I believe you can view the connection speed between your two APEs in airport utility when you click on the second (relayed) APE.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I believe you can view the connection speed between your two APEs in airport utility when you click on the second (relayed) APE.

That would be great. I haven't noticed that before. I use the older airport utility (5.6 i think... before they dumbed it down). I will poke around and see if I can find it. Unless you can point me to where I can find it. Thanks.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
That would be great. I haven't noticed that before. I use the older airport utility (5.6 i think... before they dumbed it down). I will poke around and see if I can find it. Unless you can point me to where I can find it. Thanks.

In the new Airport Utility simply click on the second APE. I believe it shows you the uplink speed (speed to primary APE). I'm in boot camp at the moment, so I can't check.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Resolved

So I guess that the AEBS that I was using as my Extender has an issue.

Step 1: I obtained a 5th generation AEBS and replaced my main router. Tested this and got 11.5MB/s.

Step 2: Took the AEBS that had been my main router and replaced the Extender. Results 108 MB/s.

So it seems that the AEBS has some sort of issue with the WAN or LAN port or something else internally that is limiting it to 100baseT rates. Weird. Everything else on it seems to work perfectly.

Oh well. Problem solved. I will relegate this "defective" AEBS to a backup if one of the others ever fails.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. It is greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.