Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Well, I guess someone needs to kick off the discussion. ;)

I wasn't crazy about this first episode back, though I have to admit that my expectations were perhaps unrealistically high. There were a few good laughs (Troy on Obama getting credit for both Doritos Tacos and killing Bin Laden; some of the conversation at the wishing fountain). But I felt like they beat the "Abed TV" segments to death, and the whole idea of the Dean moving in next door to Jeff feels too much like the "wacky neighbor" sitcom trope that "Community" tends to make fun of [1].

Of course, I am going to tune in again next week. But last night's episode just felt a little off to me.

[1] It has occurred to me that that whole sequence with the Dean moving in next door was some kind of meta-joke to tie in with the "Abed TV" version of the show. I guess we'll see if they stick with that.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I wasn't crazy about this first episode back, though I have to admit that my expectations were perhaps unrealistically high. There were a few good laughs (Troy on Obama getting credit for both Doritos Tacos and killing Bin Laden; some of the conversation at the wishing fountain). But I felt like they beat the "Abed TV" segments to death, and the whole idea of the Dean moving in next door to Jeff feels too much like the "wacky neighbor" sitcom trope that "Community" tends to make fun of [1].

To some extent I think they were playing off fears that with Dan Harmon having "left" for this season that the show would change dramatically. I'm not terribly worried overall. I'll still watch it because for the most part it's a pretty funny show.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
To some extent I think they were playing off fears that with Dan Harmon having "left" for this season that the show would change dramatically.
Sure.
SilentPanda said:
I'm not terribly worried overall. I'll still watch it because for the most part it's a pretty funny show.
Oh yeah, I'm not giving up on them or anything. It's basically the same writing staff (minus Dan) and I have faith that they can keep it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.