Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hello all!
So today I was cleaning a replacement phone that I got about a week ago from the Genius Bar, and I noticed a small dent/chip on the side (not on the chamfer, on the actual side and not more then a mm in size, probably less) however, it is still anodized over, I looked at my case (speck candyshell) and I saw something that is around the same size and in around the same place, but I think it is just a defect in the rubber. My question is, could the case have caused this, or was it out of the box like this but I didn't notice? I've only had it for a week.

UPDATE: Better pictures from my DSLR

Attachments

• DSC_0569.jpg
    DSC_0569.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 525
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.39.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.39.08 PM.png
    618.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I have a Speck Candyshell on my i5 too. I doubt that rubber liner could cause such an indent in aluminum.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I have a Speck Candyshell on my i5 too. I doubt that rubber liner could cause such an indent in aluminum.

But if something I didn't notice got inside and dented it, would the anodizing still be there? Or would it have taken it off, pretty much my question is could it get dented and still have the anodizing on it?

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Sure, it could remain anodized. If the object was, say, round and without rough edges that would scratch the anodizing off. A dent was more than likely there at the time you received the device. That's just my opinion though.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
But if something I didn't notice got inside and dented it, would the anodizing still be there? Or would it have taken it off, pretty much my question is could it get dented and still have the anodizing on it?

The anodizing process is pretty much a surface dye. It isn't affected by the metal being dented or anything like paint may be. Anodization usually only comes off because of surface abrasion. That's why it comes off so easily on corners. It could have happened after you got it but like the poster above me said, with all these iPhones being pre damaged it was probably already there

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Sure, it could remain anodized. If the object was, say, round and without rough edges that would scratch the anodizing off. A dent was more than likely there at the time you received the device. That's just my opinion though.

Thank you, hopefully because its only a week old, it came like this.

----------

The anodizing process is pretty much a surface dye. It isn't affected by the metal being dented or anything like paint may be. Anodization usually only comes off because of surface abrasion. That's why it comes off so easily on corners. It could have happened after you got it but like the poster above me said, with all these iPhones being pre damaged it was probably already there

So, are you trying to say that this could have happened in the last week?
Edit: didn't see your last part of the post

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
He's right. The corners are susceptible to the most wear and tear for the obvious reasons. As far as the surface dye thing goes, do you think that explains all these "waterstain" marks people have been talking about?

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
He's right. The corners are susceptible to the most wear and tear for the obvious reasons. As far as the surface dye thing goes, do you think that explains all these "waterstain" marks people have been talking about?

However, this is on the side, about 3/4 of the way up, not the chamfer or the metal next to it

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I'm going to get a picture up here today, but one thing though, this is on the anodized side part, its not on the corner of the chamfer or the chamfer.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Hello all!
So today I was cleaning a replacement phone that I got about a week ago from the Genius Bar, and I noticed a small dent/chip on the side (not on the chamfer, on the actual side and not more then a mm in size, probably less) however, it is still anodized over, I looked at my case (speck candyshell) and I saw something that is around the same size and in around the same place, but I think it is just a defect in the rubber. My question is, could the case have caused this, or was it out of the box like this but I didn't notice? I've only had it for a week.

Seriously?! Like for REAL?!?!

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
UPDATE: much better pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0569.jpg
    DSC_0569.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.39.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.39.08 PM.png
    618.2 KB · Views: 152

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Interesting...so it seems like there might be extra material that was on the phone at the time of anodization.

Is that what your question was? If it would be possible for something to get anodized w/ the rest of the phone during manufacture. Seems like you got the answer in your hand.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Interesting...so it seems like there might be extra material that was on the phone at the time of anodization.

Is that what your question was? If it would be possible for something to get anodized w/ the rest of the phone during manufacture. Seems like you got the answer in your hand.

no, this is an actual indent on the phone, but its anodized over, i wanted to know if the case caused this, or it came out of the box like this a little more then a week ago and i didnt notice till now

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Grit of some kind eventually gets into all cases at some point and when its caught between the phone and the case and there is friction--it will create some kind of mark on the phone and often the case as well.

Hard shell cases seem to be the worst to have with grit and very soft rubbery cases the best--but they all get it. A friend of mine put his brand new pristine iPhone in a case the day he bought and then removed it 9 months later for the first time. The iPhone had numerous scratches all over it--it was really bad.

I've got a semi rigid case and just take if off about once a week and wash out the inside. So far so good--but I'll get a mark on there eventually.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Grit of some kind eventually gets into all cases at some point and when its caught between the phone and the case and there is friction--it will create some kind of mark on the phone and often the case as well.

Hard shell cases seem to be the worst to have with grit and very soft rubbery cases the best--but they all get it. A friend of mine put his brand new pristine iPhone in a case the day he bought and then removed it 9 months later for the first time. The iPhone had numerous scratches all over it--it was really bad.

I've got a semi rigid case and just take if off about once a week and wash out the inside. So far so good--but I'll get a mark on there eventually.

yeah that is obvious, you have to clean your case every so often, putting it in and out your pocket and placing it on different surfaces etc allows sand and grit to get in the case and that causes friction and scratches your phone, i clean my case on my iPhone 5 every so often and the coating on the phone has remained flawless so far

----------

no, this is an actual indent on the phone, but its anodized over, i wanted to know if the case caused this, or it came out of the box like this a little more then a week ago and i didnt notice till now

youll never know, do you recall dropping your iPhone 5 ever? have you dropped your iphone 5 ? it could of gotten a tiny dent from when you dropped it IF you did drop it sometime...but that probably came from the factory, in that case anyway that looks extremely minute imo

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Dude honestly, it's SO small even your dsr can't pick it up. I can't see it. Don't worry about it man.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
yeah that is obvious, you have to clean your case every so often, putting it in and out your pocket and placing it on different surfaces etc allows sand and grit to get in the case and that causes friction and scratches your phone, i clean my case on my iPhone 5 every so often and the coating on the phone has remained flawless so far

----------

youll never know, do you recall dropping your iPhone 5 ever? have you dropped your iphone 5 ? it could of gotten a tiny dent from when you dropped it IF you did drop it sometime...but that probably came from the factory, in that case anyway that looks extremely minute imo

Never dropped, only a little more then a week old

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Dude honestly, it's SO small even your dsr can't pick it up. I can't see it. Don't worry about it man.

I see each problem area in every picture he has posted. Maybe your visual is failing. :(

This dent was most likely there before the anodization process.

----------

Also, I think the blemish on the rubber was just a coincidence. It's not even that close to where it is on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.