Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bez59

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
I have been ripping all my DVD's to my MacBook but when I move them to my NAS it also adds some extra files that can't be seen in finder on the mac so I can't remove them as they only show up on my blu ray player and my Xbox.

Anybody know what they are, how I can stop them from being added and how to remove the ones that are already there?

It's the first files in the folder that start with ._

This is how they appear on my blu ray player.

image.jpg

And on my MacBook.

image-1.jpg

Any help would be great thanks.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Starting a file name with a single dot hide the file in finder and also standard unix shells (like .ssh or similar in your home directory).
You could tell the Finder to show you the hidden files if you want to see them there too.
What's in the files? Not 100% sure but I assume those are working files to store temporary information (e.g. Last time position to resume after restart etc). I assume those hidden files are much smaller compared to their associated visible lies. Wouldn't worry.
XBox and BR player wouldn't be aware or ignore the hiding effect of a single dot that's why you see them

apedance

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Vienna
if you don't want OSX to store those files on external storage you can use this command via terminal

Code:
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

you can easily undo this by replacing "true" with "false"

or

if your NAS is based on samba you can add this...

Code:
veto files = /.DS_Store/

to your smb-configfile -> /etc/smb.conf

Bez59

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
Starting a file name with a single dot hide the file in finder and also standard unix shells (like .ssh or similar in your home directory).
You could tell the Finder to show you the hidden files if you want to see them there too.
What's in the files? Not 100% sure but I assume those are working files to store temporary information (e.g. Last time position to resume after restart etc). I assume those hidden files are much smaller compared to their associated visible lies. Wouldn't worry.
XBox and BR player wouldn't be aware or ignore the hiding effect of a single dot that's why you see them

Hi thanks for the reply.

How do i tell finder to show them?

Not sure what's in the files or what they do as they only show up on the BR player and xbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.