Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weesy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
I would recommend looking at the 11" air. Its extremely portable and will do everything you will need for school. Then get a external display for use on your desk. Perfect College setup, IMO.

this idea has really caught my attention. i was originally thinking of getting the 13' air. but after reading all of your advice, i think i'm starting to lean towards the 11' air for best portability. but then getting another external display for home use. does anyone find the 11' air too small?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
this idea has really caught my attention. i was originally thinking of getting the 13' air. but after reading all of your advice, i think i'm starting to lean towards the 11' air for best portability. but then getting another external display for home use. does anyone find the 11' air too small?

I honestly don't but I am going to go up to a 13" MBA this next go around.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How does this work?

Can I use i.e. FCP X and airdisplay my preview window of FCP X to the iPad?

Please explain, thanks a lot.

There is some lag, the refresh rate isn't fast enough for smooth video, so it would be better for relatively static things like palettes. For example, I will put code windows or othr apps like iChat on the iPad display and use my laptop screen for what I'm actively working on.

Don't forget that the 11" has a smaller battery and no SD slot.

Last edited:

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
There are a lot of things an Air or MBP can do that an iPad or cannot do or at the very least are a struggle.

The 13" has more screen resolution and real estate which gives you a better workspace.

Try both sizes and pick the one you like

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010

Like was said the 11' air has no SD slot, this may be an issue.

Do a 13' air and a external display and experience pefection....do it.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I still have the 2011 MacBook Air, but I definitely won't upgrade now that I have the iPad mini. I bought a keyboard for the mini, and I really like using it because of the smaller size.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
There are certainly trade-offs. I've been weighing the same question myself. For me, the iPad mini is the ultimate take-anywhere writing tool with amazing battery life and ease of use. But you can do so much more on the Mac.

I would weigh the pros and cons.

weesy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
I still have the 2011 MacBook Air, but I definitely won't upgrade now that I have the iPad mini. I bought a keyboard for the mini, and I really like using it because of the smaller size.

yea see, my Mbp is near its last leg. but for what i use it for at home some days, it definitely does the job. its a little beat up but it still works. it might just need a little sprucing up. thats why the ipad mini is so appealing to me, like you that smaller size is very attractive to me. and ofcourse i would invest in a keyboard and all the accessories. i'm just worried for functionality purposes from a student point of you if its not right for me?

There are certainly trade-offs. I've been weighing the same question myself. For me, the iPad mini is the ultimate take-anywhere writing tool with amazing battery life and ease of use. But you can do so much more on the Mac.

I would weigh the pros and cons.

i agree. the smaller size of the mini is great. thats the only reason i'm considering the air, because it offers a smaller size then the pro, but still offers all the fancy macbook components. but then the problem comes in, well should i give my pro a sprucing up and keep it at home as mr reliable to take the mini out into the world with me all the time?

UnknownStudent

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
your reasoning for buying the ipad is one of the reasons why i am considering getting one. being able to just grab it and put it in my bag without having to worry about taking my actual laptop seems like such an easy solution. but at the same time perhaps it would be more convenient to just get a smaller air and have it all in one place, hmmm...

That is true, the Air is really transportable from place to place, easy to carry and store. Honestly it really depends what the actual use of either one of the product is. For school, of course I would prefer the Air instead but when it comes to traveling and such, I would prefer the iPad because it's more entertaining wise. There are pros and cons to both the products, yet they're both good products at the end and hard to come to a conclusion. Good luck in making your decision :)

cgaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Mini!

Get the mini! its so good!

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I just ordered an iPad Mini today to easily carry and read books, and do web browsing, email, Facebook, etc. when I'm on the go. However, I have an 11" Macbook Air that I think I could not live without. I spend 90% of my computer time at home with the Air in my lap in front of the TV. It does everything I need to do on a computer. Go for the Air first.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
A 13 inch MacBook Pro would serve u a lot better in case you want to play a game of cod or league of legends on low settings , it has a good battery life and will last u a lot longer than an air with small ssd. People replace their airs like almost every year when te pros last 4 years . An iPad 4 almost has the same power as an air lol an 11" laptop ? What ! If your that casual to just write papers and use safari then an iPad could handle it. My setup is a home desktop with windows a MacBook Pro 15 inch for my audio software and photoshop and just waiting on a lighter iPad 5 or iPad mini with retina . That way I have a nice gaming desktop a mobile powerhouse 15" weighs 5 pounds only take it with me of I know ill be at a desk an it's actually not bad to use in bed but once a lighter iPad 5 comes out that's what I'll use for college simple tasks and it will play nicely with my airprinter and Apple TV . Plus documents transfer easily with Dropbox if u need to take the notes u took on an iPad and send them over for real work on a MacBook . The air only makes sense if u don't want an iPad or don't use professional programs . There is an i7 MBA so maybe thing changed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.