Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Hey all, I hope I'm posting in the right section.

I recently went overseas to China to visit some family and was lucky enough to be gifted a new iPhone 4S (decent upgrade from my 4). When I got back here (Australia), the google search function redirects to the google.cn page and does not work. I have to manually go to the google web page in order to look something up. I did some research and apparently this is a well known problem with phones bought in China abd theres no fix. ive tried changing the region settings and everything suggested with mo avail. So I just wanted to know if this is any grounds for apple to replace my phone? I just wanted some opinions of whether or not i have a shot as the apple store is a bit of a trek from my house.

Thanks

Frish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Thanks. But I've already been using the phone for 3 weeks now. Plus, since it was a gift, I have no receipt or anything.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Thanks. But I've already been using the phone for 3 weeks now. Plus, since it was a gift, I have no receipt or anything.

You can try restoring the phone, but other than that there's no way around it. And if Apple swap your phone outside of China I believe you'll have activation issues (since you'll have an american phone with a chinese activation profile). They may have to order you a CN unit, which will have the same problem.

Frish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
ah, okay. ill make an appointment for next week. i dont think activation is a problem here in Australia. all iphones come fully unlocked and so long as you pay out your 24m contract which includes the handset payments, they don't really care what you do with the phone.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think this was the deal that Apple had to suck up in order to sell the Iphone in China....I even seem to remember a front page article about it a long time back...search may find it for you, but essentially it's hard coded into phones sold in China...The Chinese government doesn't want it's citizens getting free and total access to Google or any other western search engine.

If the phone works, then I think you'll just have to live with it.

Frish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah it's definitely a genuine iPhone. Syncs with itunes and I checked the warranty online at apple and its valid till nov 2013. I just hope that they can exchange it since u should be able to take an unlocked iphone from one country to another without experiencing major hassles. Unless they explicitly stated that u can't use one of the major features when taking an iPhone from country A to country B which i believe they did not.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Backup your phone.
Power it off.
Hold the home button and immediately plug it in. Keep holding the home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
Go thru the restore process

This is as complete a wipe and restore as you can do. If this doesn't fix it, you can only take it to an Apple dealer for service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.