Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Hi,

I just wanted to share a video I've made as part of the first year of my Chemistry degree. It's about Polymers and Nanomedicines, it's shot completely through my iPhone's camera or my MacBook's iSight and edited with iMovie, it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, as the target audience is people who aren't doing a chemistry degree.

Anyway, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAH8uJz3GB4 if you like it, please feel free to share it with others, or leave a comment on the video.

Thanks a lot!

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Well, it is a pity you made this in that style. You no doubt will get various feedback regards HOW-WHY-IF-ETC.
All i will say any future project on this subject make it interesting for people like us who have not got a clue, but are interested.
Should you have time learn the art of movie making as you have the skill to edit in iMovie.
Good subject. But not my style of how you presented the topic.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Well, it is a pity you made this in that style. You no doubt will get various feedback regards HOW-WHY-IF-ETC.
All i will say any future project on this subject make it interesting for people like us who have not got a clue, but are interested.
Should you have time learn the art of movie making as you have the skill to edit in iMovie.
Good subject. But not my style of how you presented the topic.

What exactly do you mean "that style"? If you mean it's a little bit above the average joe's knowledge, i should have been clearer, it's aimed at people who do A-Level Chemistry as 16-18 year old's UK qualification. Most of what I've touched on is covered at that level. And the reason i chose to do a YT video is because i can answer any questions people have etc

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Hi,

I just wanted to share a video I've made as part of the first year of my Chemistry degree. It's about Polymers and Nanomedicines,

I liked the book better.
I'm KIDDING.
I think it's a great, easy way to present information targeted to a specific audience. Dry? Sure, but that's only to me. And as for the "pro" aspects, well, you're not a pro are you, and you never said you were... BUT the more you do them the better you will get. Editing was fine, sound always bothers me in these kinds of movies. I'd invest in a wireless mic for better sound. Other than that, keep going onward! Well done.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
I liked the book better.
I'm KIDDING.
I think it's a great, easy way to present information targeted to a specific audience. Dry? Sure, but that's only to me. And as for the "pro" aspects, well, you're not a pro are you, and you never said you were... BUT the more you do them the better you will get. Editing was fine, sound always bothers me in these kinds of movies. I'd invest in a wireless mic for better sound. Other than that, keep going onward! Well done.

Thanks for your feedback! If I choose to do more of the, outside my degree I'll definitely look at getting a Mic. By "Dry" do you just mean a bit boring for people who don't have much chemistry knowledge?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Its a fun video. You presented it for all to see and you wanted feedback.
You have a feedback from a person who thinks you got a good subject. But decided to present it in a low key presentation.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Thanks for your feedback! If I choose to do more of the, outside my degree I'll definitely look at getting a Mic. By "Dry" do you just mean a bit boring for people who don't have much chemistry knowledge?

Both really, by it's nature. That's not a dig, you have a targeted audience. It would be like 6th graders sitting through a video on quantum mechanics and string theory.
:)

wwong-maui

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Excellent early effort

Quite a nice project and good use of various effects and editing in iMovie. Your animated whiteboard was nicely done -did you use special software or just the built-in capability of iMovie?

Things that you should consider in your next video project (in my opinion):
-invest in a tripod and mount for your camera/iPhone; steady=professional
-invest in better lighting which will make a lot of difference in quality which provides:
-better temperature control and white balance
-better consistency of color between shots
-look up the 3 light source setup to provide better depth
-your headshots could use a little "headspace" above your head
-a better external microphone will make a huge difference

But all things considered, well done for what you worked with. Thanks for sharing and keep at it. You seem to have promising communicating talent that can be nurtured into anything you want it to be.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Quite a nice project and good use of various effects and editing in iMovie. Your animated whiteboard was nicely done -did you use special software or just the built-in capability of iMovie?

Things that you should consider in your next video project (in my opinion):
-invest in a tripod and mount for your camera/iPhone; steady=professional
-invest in better lighting which will make a lot of difference in quality which provides:
-better temperature control and white balance
-better consistency of color between shots
-look up the 3 light source setup to provide better depth
-your headshots could use a little "headspace" above your head
-a better external microphone will make a huge difference

But all things considered, well done for what you worked with. Thanks for sharing and keep at it. You seem to have promising communicating talent that can be nurtured into anything you want it to be.
Thanks for your time! The whiteboard thing you mentioned was actually done using Paper for iPad and the jailbreak display recorder, than exporting it to my Mac, it was a bit of a eureka moment when it came to me.
Yeah, i wasn't really happy with the stuff that was shot on my iPhone as it's a bit shakey. Hadn't thought of having more headspace, but looking back that would make sense. And audio quality is an obvious one as others have said. Thanks for taking the time to watch/feedback, i really appreciate it!

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Sent the video to my supervisor today, so it's off for marking. Thanks again guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.