Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eliehass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
I'm in the market for a laptop, as I currently only have a desktop, and I really like everything about the rMBP. My only issue is that the current model has already been on the market for a while (I'm not counting the slight processor bump as a hardware refresh).

I was thinking of waiting until June to see if a newer model would be released but now it seems like Tim Cook has said in the earnings call to look to Fall for new releases.

I really don't want to wait until the Fall. I'm just curious if I should buy now, or does anyone think that Tim Cook was referring to new product releases, and that an existing product hardware refresh could still happen in June...

Latt

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
I'm pretty sure he means completely new products. I'm still convinced we'll see a late Q2/early Q3 upgrade to the rMBP productline.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
It's really doubtful there will be any significant change to the current model. A slight tweak in configuration maybe $100 cheaper. Expect a slight spec bump and maybe a bit of a price drop. If you need the machine you can hardly go wrong with the current model.

eliehass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
It's really doubtful there will be any significant change to the current model. A slight tweak in configuration maybe $100 cheaper. Expect a slight spec bump and maybe a bit of a price drop. If you need the machine you can hardly go wrong with the current model.

I'm hoping for a Haswell rMBP... How likely is a June release for that?

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
I don't think you are likely to gain a lot by holding out until June. It seems more likely to me that there could be a Q2 announcement of an update available Q3.

Unless you expect to push the performance limits of the current rMBP, you might be pretty happy with what you can buy now.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm in the same boat.

next wages will give me that little extra to get a full spec rMBP, but I do think I'll wait until end may.

So that if they decide to upgrade on July 10th then I can go with the 2 weeks return window.

Also I could wait a month, considering we are approaching nice weather, so no need to sit inside after work...

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm in the market for a laptop, as I currently only have a desktop, and I really like everything about the rMBP. My only issue is that the current model has already been on the market for a while (I'm not counting the slight processor bump as a hardware refresh).

I was thinking of waiting until June to see if a newer model would be released but now it seems like Tim Cook has said in the earnings call to look to Fall for new releases.

I really don't want to wait until the Fall. I'm just curious if I should buy now, or does anyone think that Tim Cook was referring to new product releases, and that an existing product hardware refresh could still happen in June...

It's very hard to _guess_.

I'd say based on the way "component shortages" tend to crop up after a suggested date on more Apple products than ever before, 2013 is merely a talking point to prevent a revolt.

My bet is on 2014. That gives Apple plenty of time to play catch up.

I like Cook, it's too bad when things don't go like the faithful want they turn on him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.