Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I went through the wizard on my 2012 macbook air and created a bootable (or so i thought) USB for Windows 7. I've been through the USB process twice now to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Anyway, i clicked install windows, and then i heard the startup chime then grey for a big then the screen just went black and nothing happened. I assume it turned off.

I tried again and hit option at startup which showed me the USB and my OSX HDD. When I clicked the windows USB option i got the same thing as about. Grey screen then black/off.

The only way to boot back into OXS was to hold option and manually select it.

Any ideas?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I went through the wizard on my 2012 macbook air and created a bootable (or so i thought) USB for Windows 7. I've been through the USB process twice now to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Anyway, i clicked install windows, and then i heard the startup chime then grey for a big then the screen just went black and nothing happened. I assume it turned off.

I tried again and hit option at startup which showed me the USB and my OSX HDD. When I clicked the windows USB option i got the same thing as about. Grey screen then black/off.

The only way to boot back into OXS was to hold option and manually select it.

Any ideas?

In my experience, the screen stayed black for quite a while before the Windows installer showed up. How long did you let the screen remain black?

Also, I figure it's worth asking, but is the USB you're using USB2 or USB3? USB3 doesn't work for startup, apparently.

davenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I left it on black screen for at least 10 mins before rebooting

rodrigomarrafao

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
As mentioned you are using a counterfeit windows 7 copy. That black screen will load up windows if you give it enough time.

davenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I downloaded it from digital river which is essentially MS. I have a disk & serial, but I don't have a optical drive on my MBA. I left it at black screen for a few hours and no change.

Getting desperate here. Ive followed all the solutions online to do with dragging drivers and xml files into the root of the usb with no luck.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Borrow (or purchase, they are really inexpensive) an optical drive or, alternately, use another computer and share. That's cost free if you have access to another computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.