Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breakingme10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
OK
Code:
So I bought a used iPod Touch 4th Generation 32GB. I knew to begin with that the old owner had issues with it being stuck in recovery. I've repaired stuck in recovery ipods and iphones in the past so I thought it would be no big deal. Well, I guess i'm wrong? Can it be bricked beyond repair? I tried a normal restore through iTunes and got error code "40". I then tried iRecovery, and when I boot in this is what I get.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd c:\users

c:\Users>cd becky7\downloads

c:\Users\Becky7\Downloads>cd irec

c:\Users\Becky7\Downloads\irec>cd irecovery-win

c:\Users\Becky7\Downloads\irec\irecovery-win>irecovery -s
iRecovery - Recovery Utility
by wEsTbAeR-- and Tom3q

Got USB
[NAND] h2fmiPrintConfig:423 Chip ID AD DE 95 9A 78 42 on FMI0:CE0
[NAND] h2fmiPrintConfig:423 Chip ID AD DE 95 9A 78 42 on FMI0:CE1
[NAND] h2fmiPrintConfig:423 Chip ID AD DE 95 9A 78 42 on FMI1:CE8
[NAND] h2fmiPrintConfig:423 Chip ID AD DE 95 9A 78 42 on FMI1:CE9

=======================================
::
:: iBoot for n81ap, Copyright 2011, Apple Inc.
::      BUILD_TAG: iBoot-1219.62.15
::      BUILD_STYLE: RELEASE
::      USB_SERIAL_NUMBER: CPID:8930 CPRV:20 CPFM:03 SCEP:02 BDID:08 ECD:000001B
D410EA3F5 IBFL:03 SRNM:[***(i'm not listing my sn)***]

[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (AND) RO
[FTL:MSG] FIL_Init            [OK]
[FTL:MSG] BUF_Init            [OK]
[FTL:MSG] FPart Init         [OK]
read new style signature 0x43313131 (line:389)
[FTL:MSG] VSVFL Register  [OK]
[WMR:MSG] Metadata whitening is set in NAND signature
[FTL:MSG] VFL Init            [OK]
[FTL:MSG] VFL_Open            [OK]
[FTL:MSG] YAFTL Register  [OK]
yaFTL::readCXTInfo(l:1047): wrong version of CXT  expected CX01
yaFTL::YAFTL_Open(l:3219): YAFTL_OPEN unsupported low-level format version canno
t continue .
[WMR:ERR] FTL_Open failed
WMR_BEEP
Raw NAND FTL failed initialisation
Boot Failure Count: 0   Pnic Fail Count: 14
Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt
(Recovery) iPhone$ -a
(Recovery) iPhone$ setenv auto-boot true
(Recovery) iPhone$ saveenv
(Recovery) iPhone$ fsboot
(Recovery) iPhone$

I am not an amateur at this. I have been looking for solutions since 1pm it is now 9:36pm. I don't ask questions until I've exhausted all other options. I have tried everything. I'm assuming the software version is iOS 5.1 since the iBoot is iBoot-1219.62.15. Since the iPod was this way when I got it I have no SHSH blobs, and I don't even know if it was jailbroken before hand. I have an iPhone 4 that is running iOS 5.1.1 and is jailbroken. I know I need to update it, but I've been busy. Is there a way I can find some file or something in my iPhone to try and push to the iPod with iRecovery to fix whatever is wrong? I'm so exhausted now that I just need help! PLEASE AND THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO EVEN ATTEMPTS TO HELP ME!

EDIT: When I tried to iRecovery into it after switching to a different computer I got this

Code:
Got USB

::      USB_SERIAL_NUMBER: CPID:8930 CPRV:20 CPFM:03 SCEP:02 BDID:08 ECD:000001B
D410EA3F5 IBFL:03 SRNM:[*****]

yaFTL::YAFTL_Open(l:3219): YAFTL_OPEN unsupported low-level format version canno
t continue .
WMR_BEEP
Delaying boot for 0 seconds. Hit enter to break into the command prompt...
root filesystem mount failed
(Recovery) iPhone$

It says root filesystem mount failed.

UPDATE: Well, after days on this, I come across something saying that the error is caused by trouble communicating with the NAND chip. It is a hardware issue apparently. I don't know if it is fixable at all.

Last edited:

akoumarina

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Hi unfortunately I do not have any help, but maybe you may be able to help me?

You mentioned that you have dealt with recovering iPods, and I was wondering if you knew a way to restore it without its files being lost.
If you know of any way to solve my problem without losing the notes and photos please help me.

breakingme10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
OK
Hi unfortunately I do not have any help, but maybe you may be able to help me?

You mentioned that you have dealt with recovering iPods, and I was wondering if you knew a way to restore it without its files being lost.
If you know of any way to solve my problem without losing the notes and photos please help me.

Whenever I use iRecovery in the past it never messed with ANY of my personal files just kicked it out of Recovery mode. But if you need to RESTORE then you will probably have to back up everything first.

akoumarina

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Whenever I use iRecovery in the past it never messed with ANY of my personal files just kicked it out of Recovery mode. But if you need to RESTORE then you will probably have to back up everything first.

I understand, here is my thread, if you would like to read the problm I am having. Because I cannot even get into the iPod is this still valid? Also, where can I get iRecovery? and what is your take on iCloner?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1580766/

breakingme10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
OK
I understand, here is my thread, if you would like to read the problm I am having. Because I cannot even get into the iPod is this still valid? Also, where can I get iRecovery? and what is your take on iCloner?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1580766/

I had read that when looking for my solution. You will probably just need to use irecovery and it should kick it out of recovery and and boot it properly.

I've attached the zip file for iRecovery and libUSB to this. With libUSB make sure you run it in compatibility mode for win XP (SP2) or it will kill your usb ports until you uninstall it. open your command in admin mode:
cd into the directory where it is located.

the type what I've typed in my code above (only what's after "iphone$)

Attachments

• iHackintosh iRecovery Pkg for Win & Mac.zip
    442.8 KB · Views: 308

akoumarina

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
I had read that when looking for my solution. You will probably just need to use irecovery and it should kick it out of recovery and and boot it properly.

I've attached the zip file for iRecovery and libUSB to this. With libUSB make sure you run it in compatibility mode for win XP (SP2) or it will kill your usb ports until you uninstall it. open your command in admin mode:
cd into the directory where it is located.

the type what I've typed in my code above (only what's after "iphone$)

Thank you, and woah is all I have to say. You are quite the computer technician. I think I am a little afraid to try this. I think I will give myself some time to think about it because I do not know how to do all of these things, but Thank you so much again!

breakingme10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
OK
Thank you, and woah is all I have to say. You are quite the computer technician. I think I am a little afraid to try this. I think I will give myself some time to think about it because I do not know how to do all of these things, but Thank you so much again!

Its very simple there are more detailed instructions just google iRecovery and you will find everything

breakingme10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
OK
I also can restore and update other ipod touch just fine. So idk what is with this one? Should I just give up?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Since it was bought broken second hand there's a chance it's been damaged and poorly repaired or new glass on a busted / water damaged unit.

Take it to apple. See what they say.

jarron

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
Code:
So I bought a used iPod Touch 4th Generation 32GB. I knew to begin with that the old owner had issues with it being stuck in recovery. I've repaired stuck in recovery ipods and iphones in the past so I thought it would be no big deal. Well, I guess i'm wrong? Can it be bricked beyond repair? I tried a normal restore through iTunes and got error code "40". I then tried iRecovery, and when I boot in this is what I get.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd c:\users

c:\Users>cd becky7\downloads

c:\Users\Becky7\Downloads>cd irec

c:\Users\Becky7\Downloads\irec>cd irecovery-win

c:\Users\Becky7\Downloads\irec\irecovery-win>irecovery -s
iRecovery - Recovery Utility
by wEsTbAeR-- and Tom3q

Got USB

D410EA3F5 IBFL:03 SRNM:[***(i'm not listing my sn)***]

t continue .
WMR_BEEP
(Recovery) iPhone$ -a
(Recovery) iPhone$ setenv auto-boot true
(Recovery) iPhone$ saveenv
(Recovery) iPhone$ fsboot
(Recovery) iPhone$

I am not an amateur at this. I have been looking for solutions since 1pm it is now 9:36pm. I don't ask questions until I've exhausted all other options. I have tried everything. I'm assuming the software version is iOS 5.1 since the iBoot is iBoot-1219.62.15. Since the iPod was this way when I got it I have no SHSH blobs, and I don't even know if it was jailbroken before hand. I have an iPhone 4 that is running iOS 5.1.1 and is jailbroken. I know I need to update it, but I've been busy. Is there a way I can find some file or something in my iPhone to try and push to the iPod with iRecovery to fix whatever is wrong? I'm so exhausted now that I just need help! PLEASE AND THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO EVEN ATTEMPTS TO HELP ME!

EDIT: When I tried to iRecovery into it after switching to a different computer I got this

Code:
Got USB

D410EA3F5 IBFL:03 SRNM:[*****]

t continue .
WMR_BEEP
Delaying boot for 0 seconds. Hit enter to break into the command prompt...
root filesystem mount failed
(Recovery) iPhone$

It says root filesystem mount failed.

UPDATE: Well, after days on this, I come across something saying that the error is caused by trouble communicating with the NAND chip. It is a hardware issue apparently. I don't know if it is fixable at all.

The device is having trouble communicating with the flash memory, YAFTL, "yet another flash translation layer" is a kernel function found in NIX that communicates with NAND based storage and allows the kernel to read/write to the basic type of formatting found in all flash based storage. A similar scenario is bootrom=\=iOS. Two separate operators handing low level hardware tasks. (Such as garbage collection or wear levels). It's finding the NAND module, ("[FTL:MSG] VFL_Open [OK]") but is unable to communicate or boot from it due to what sounds like hardware based corruption of storage. (" wrong version of CXT expected CX01"), ("yaFTL::YAFTL_Open(l:3219): YAFTL_OPEN unsupported low-level format version canno
t continue .") I'd say its a hardware issue because you attempted to restore without success and are still getting similar errors. It's possible this device just has a faulty NAND module from either failing before the ETBF or user damage (water, electricity, radiation, and heat can all damage the structure of flash memory. I'd honestly say its a total loss.. Try taking it to apple and providing a heart wrenching story or a pair of breasts. They might just replace it even if its OOW. :)

Good luck!

Edit: didn't even bother reading the whole log before going into this mad scientist explaination. Lol I could've saved a lot of time by simply reading the entry "Raw NAND FTL failed initialisation". pretty much means the same thing as the logs I explained above, just summarized and stupefied. :) I do find it strange how the word "initialisation" is not spelled correctly, but I guess they never expected anyone to really look at these returns so they didn't bother with spell check. /nerdhumor.

Last edited:

breakingme10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
OK
The device is having trouble communicating with the flash memory, YAFTL, "yet another flash translation layer" is a kernel function found in NIX that communicates with NAND based storage and allows the kernel to read/write to the basic type of formatting found in all flash based storage. A similar scenario is bootrom=\=iOS. Two separate operators handing low level hardware tasks. (Such as garbage collection or wear levels). It's finding the NAND module, ("[FTL:MSG] VFL_Open [OK]") but is unable to communicate or boot from it due to what sounds like hardware based corruption of storage. (" wrong version of CXT expected CX01"), ("yaFTL::YAFTL_Open(l:3219): YAFTL_OPEN unsupported low-level format version canno
t continue .") I'd say its a hardware issue because you attempted to restore without success and are still getting similar errors. It's possible this device just has a faulty NAND module from either failing before the ETBF or user damage (water, electricity, radiation, and heat can all damage the structure of flash memory. I'd honestly say its a total loss.. Try taking it to apple and providing a heart wrenching story or a pair of breasts. They might just replace it even if its OOW. :)

Good luck!

Edit: didn't even bother reading the whole log before going into this mad scientist explaination. Lol I could've saved a lot of time by simply reading the entry "Raw NAND FTL failed initialisation". pretty much means the same thing as the logs I explained above, just summarized and stupefied. :) I do find it strange how the word "initialisation" is not spelled correctly, but I guess they never expected anyone to really look at these returns so they didn't bother with spell check. /nerdhumor.

Ya that is what i figured. I am gonna just give up on it. I have tried every program every method, I am sure it is just a total loss at this point.

jarron

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
Ya that is what i figured. I am gonna just give up on it. I have tried every program every method, I am sure it is just a total loss at this point.

I agree. Dawdling with this iPod probably won't help. You can try parting it out, but your returns might not be that great for the time & effort of tearing it down and selling the functional parts. In reality people are only interested in displays and logic boards, as those are the most in-demand components. You might make a few bucks off the screen, maybe some scratch from the camera module. But really since the logic board is non-functional and batteries are both dirt cheap and consumable, you may make at most $20-30 dollars max.

My only other idea of use for your iPod is devilish, some industrial industrial strength adhesive and a public place might get a few chuckles :) But that's illegal, and no one wants to deal with that.. Of course. ;)

breakingme10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
OK
I agree. Dawdling with this iPod probably won't help. You can try parting it out, but your returns might not be that great for the time & effort of tearing it down and selling the functional parts. In reality people are only interested in displays and logic boards, as those are the most in-demand components. You might make a few bucks off the screen, maybe some scratch from the camera module. But really since the logic board is non-functional and batteries are both dirt cheap and consumable, you may make at most $20-30 dollars max.

My only other idea of use for your iPod is devilish, some industrial industrial strength adhesive and a public place might get a few chuckles :) But that's illegal, and no one wants to deal with that.. Of course. ;)

Is it really? Maybe oklahoma laws are different. I don't think the police here would care at all.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
...My only other idea of use for your iPod is devilish, some industrial industrial strength adhesive and a public place might get a few chuckles :) But that's illegal, and no one wants to deal with that.. Of course. ;)

Now THAT'S funny. I don't know about it being illegal, unless you're talking about being charged with littering... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.