Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvig42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
London
Apologies if this has been posted before.

I've been using Handbrake for the past couple of years to rip my favourite films/programmes for use on my Apple TV 2 & 3, iPhone and iPad.

I've updated to the newest version and when selecting "Universal" I have noticed that a 24 minute show is anything between 700mb to 1.1gb even though a show using the previous version was below or around 300mb. I'm not that savvy when it comes to settings in software but I was wondering if someone here may know how to get the file size lower?

Many thanks.
Paolo.

pvig42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
London
Downgrade to 0.9.8

Thank you for the response but.........how do I downgrade? I'm checking online how to do it but can't find anything. Apologies for sounding and being thick :) The only way I can think of is restoring from time machine back up.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
If you want the same results as 0.9.8 in 0.9.9 try this:

Move the x264 presets slider one notch right to 'slow' instead of the exisiting 'medium'.

This will slow down your encode (basically to what it was in 0.9.8) and give you a smaller file of the same quality.

----------

Plus, realize unless you are comparing identical source files across HB versions ... each source will have a different final file size / bitrate depending on a number of factors like grain, complexity etc. This is well known among video encoders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.