Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 8, 2013, 02:57 PM   #26
santydolby
macrumors newbie

Heck, I'll repeat this.

If there's a device that can potentially kick iPad mini out of its complacency, it is undoubtedly the Samsung note 8.0

With android getting classier, and refined by the day, the note 8.0 is a perfect solution for all uses (reading, writing, drawing, sketching, note making, sharing, browsing, gaming).

It's classy (the plastic design is actually not a downer; most people cover their tablets anyway), buttery smooth, stylish despite not boasting a retina-like display. Its stylus is the best (design, function, location) I've seen yet.

The rest will be mere contenders. The battle will and should boil down to iPad mini and Samsung note 8.0

Last edited by santydolby; Aug 8, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
santydolby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:12 PM   #27
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502

Someone I know has this tablet for work. I tried it and opened Office and he just said "Oh no, that doesn't work". Well, it did work, but it felt like manufacturing a watch or something. It was extremely slow, too.
SgtPepper12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Millah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
It may be a poor device, but I don't know how you can blame its faults on a 1280x800 display when the iPad mini has tremendous reviews and is a 1024×768 display at nearly the same size.....
Because I guess the only variable to producing a display is how many pixels are on it

This just in: Theres a whole lot more to making a quality display than just resolution
Millah is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:39 PM   #29
jm001
macrumors 6502

Office? Doesn't iOS now have Office 365? And isn't MS pushing people to subscribe to 365? That Halo bit, was that all that the Iconia could play of that game before it crashes ?

As for comparing iPad mini to the Samsung Note 8 as someone mentioned, I'm still not sure why you emphasized sketching as iOS has had a slew of sketching apps before Samsung even had the Note. As for styluses I personally like the Bamboo styluses for iOS devices.
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:40 PM   #30
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb426 View Post
....And yet the iPad mini still works 100x better while looking 100x classier, while NOT running Windows 8.

And you can't even compare App Store ecosystems.
The Iconia runs the FULL version of Windows. No platform has a bigger software ecosystem than Windows. The Iconia can even run Photoshop and Lightroom if you want that. Or whatever business software that was ever written.

I would not buy this version of the Iconia though - its successor is supposed to come out very soon; with a better screen and the next generation of Atom CPUs.
Winni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:44 PM   #31
Georgij
macrumors regular

Siri: 'Wow, you don't have Infinity Blade?'
Georgij is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:45 PM   #32
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Hilarious.

One reason people LOVE their iPad is because it's NOT a full Windows PC.

The Windows PC is a wonderful thing... if you're a geek like me.

Otherwise... there's waaay too much overhead for the average user. Windows Update alone is enough to drive someone crazy.

Email, Facebook, web browsing, Candy Crush that's how most of the people around me use their iPad. Many of them have not used their PC in months.

Sorry Microsoft... you made your fortune by selling a full operating system to every person by default.

Now... that's not needed anymore for an ever-growing percentage of the population.
Michael Scrip is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:59 PM   #33
sclawis300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbyun04 View Post

never liked halo. Would way rather play xcom.
bite your tongue!!!!!
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:13 PM   #34
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Just what I've always wanted... an Acer product in my house. It'll fill the void that I have from never having purchased a Packard Bell or E-Machine product.
noiseordinance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:39 PM   #35
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a

You can bang on about specs and numbers and prices but its everything else that actually makes a good product.

An inaccurate LCD is a bad one compared to a smaller res with perfect image reproduction.

Office apps designed for all screen sizes from 24 to 8 inch mean the at no point can they work efficiently.

It's all the little things that count, if you have even a couple of badly aligned touch targets in your software it can make for a frustrating experience, win 8 is that system and they need to just scrap it and have a full touch ui with no compromises like office. Ms will never learn the company is so poorly structured it would take near bankruptcy to force them to become something beautiful.
alexgowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:43 PM   #36
Applefan 2013
macrumors 6502

Wait...Didn't I just see something like this yesterday? And last week? And the week before? To me, these advertisements that are pretty much PROMOTING buying an iPad over these windows 8 tablets. The windows 8 OS is just disgusting to look at. And if I need Office or Outlook or whatever, I'd rather use it on a LAPTOP, not a cheap tablet.
Applefan 2013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:55 PM   #37
tann
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
That price/storage comparison is very deceiving at the end. That's just sad.
How?? The 32gb version is being compared in both?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 05:35 PM   #38
Identity Fraud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm001 View Post
As for comparing iPad mini to the Samsung Note 8 as someone mentioned, I'm still not sure why you emphasized sketching as iOS has had a slew of sketching apps before Samsung even had the Note. As for styluses I personally like the Bamboo styluses for iOS devices.
There isn't as fine control currently with the iPad screen for drawing with a tablet. If Apple can release a Wascom type precision touch screen that can actually respond to drawing more like taking brush to paper it'll be something really special. That's where I hope apple shifts their focus.
Identity Fraud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 05:36 PM   #39
Sup3rknova
macrumors regular

Here we go again. I am all for competition but if companies (and they know who they are) would spend more time working and putting out good products rather than just try to bash Apple perhaps it would show in their sales. How many more "look what apples CAN'T DO" commercials will there be? I know Apple did their Mac/PC commercials but at least their sales showed something. Pretty funny.
Sup3rknova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:08 PM   #40
bocomo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
How?? The 32gb version is being compared in both?
because something like 50% of the storage space is taken up by the OS
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:21 AM   #41
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Why do Microsoft keep obsessing about things like Office and such? Yes, it can run that stuff -- because it's running bloody Windows 8.

Congratulations, Ballmer. You've got an interface optimised for mouse and keyboard running on a touch-screen tablet. There's no difference to when they brought out the tablet PC around 2001. Apple's iPad was successful because it's a tablet with an OS optimised for touch, and touch only.

To paraphrase what Steve Jobs once said, he mentioned that the most difficult part of a product is deciding what not to put in. And Microsoft have tried making a product that does everything; which means it excels (no pun intended) in nothing.

The term "Jack of all trades, master of **** all" comes to mind.

Competition is good, and benefits the consumer, but Microsoft just don't get it! It's so damn frustrating how a company that big, with that much revenue and R&D can be so incompetent. They've learned absolutely nothing since their last failed endeavour in this field.

Goddammit Microsoft, get it together.
You've summed it up perfectly! I'd give this post five up-votes if I could.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:26 AM   #42
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by santydolby View Post
Heck, I'll repeat this.

If there's a device that can potentially kick iPad mini out of its complacency, it is undoubtedly the Samsung note 8.0

With android getting classier, and refined by the day, the note 8.0 is a perfect solution for all uses (reading, writing, drawing, sketching, note making, sharing, browsing, gaming).

It's classy (the plastic design is actually not a downer; most people cover their tablets anyway), buttery smooth, stylish despite not boasting a retina-like display. Its stylus is the best (design, function, location) I've seen yet.

The rest will be mere contenders. The battle will and should boil down to iPad mini and Samsung note 8.0
Yeah but will this note 8.0 be compatable when Samsung moves off of android OS to Tizen/Intel OS?
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:40 AM   #43
iSee
macrumors 68040

Not a good ad.

Software selection is not something they want to raise in an iPad comparison! Sure it runs full Windows so it can run all of the Windows software. But software designed for a mouse and keyboard is a nightmare on a screen that size. The software runs but is unusable except for small tasks. E.g., Office -- which has been partially optimized for touch -- is painful even on a 10.1" touch screen.

Also comparing the price of the 32GB Iconia to the 32GB iPad is bad since Windows itself fills half the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
...The Iconia can even run Photoshop and Lightroom if you want that...
Yeah, that's my point. After trying it, no one would want that.

----

All around, this is a poor tablet. I guess all I could say positively about it is sometimes you need Windows and Office and this is a cheap way to get those and it's easy to bury in a drawer or at the bottom of your bag the rest of the time.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:48 AM   #44
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

A few ads knocking Apple is fun and silly, but an entire campaign is just foolish and poorly thought out.
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:29 AM   #45
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Microsoft is stupid for focusing on iPad. Acer just announced that they're going to focus more on Android and Chrome and less on Windows. Asus said they're done with Windows RT and took a write down on their RT stock. Instead of focusing on Apple and iPad Microsoft should be worried about OEM's ditching them for Google.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20462...s-windows.html

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/09/a...of-windows-rt/
Old Aug 9, 2013, 01:19 PM   #46
afin
macrumors member

I really think that Microsoft's mistake is acting as though they are competing in the same category as apple/google. They may both be tablets, but the philosophy and intent behind their designs are far and away different...
afin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:25 AM   #47
BarryL
macrumors 6502

I've seen this at Office Depot. It's a cool little device, but it's no match for the iPad mini. Not sure what Mircoshaft is smoking, but it's not a competive product.. Yet
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:46 PM   #48
strizbiz
macrumors newbie

We don't need a mablet

If I could run all the apps I run on my ipad, ass efficiently as I do on my Ipad, on another tablet that's cheaper and better then I would have already done it. This add does make me chuckle though, nice try, lol.

Microsoft doesn't really want to compare what apps are available on an Ipad vs what's available on an Acer. Also, what is the point of running windows 8 on a tablet??? Really? Makes as much sense as Apple running mountain lion on an ipad instead of IOS. I have a Mac desktop and a MacBook Pro , I really don't want or need Mountain Lion on my tablet too.
strizbiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion