Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:16 PM   #76
analog guy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
Normally when I sell on ebay, I charge a processing fee that is part of my shipping charges. For instance, I'll tell it to calculate shipping based on UPS ground, then add $3 as my handling fee on a modest priced item. This almost sort of covers ebay and paypal's fees.
buyers factor this in and reduce the price they will pay.

i've been selling on ebay for years and have experimented a ton--people tend to overestimate the value of "free shipping" and will pay more than they would if shipping is an extra charge.

(i.e., they might pay $50 for an item with free shipping or $42 for an item with a $5 shipping charge.)
analog guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:05 PM   #77
thetechfixer
macrumors 6502

Thats eBay for you.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:02 PM   #78
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog guy View Post
buyers factor this in and reduce the price they will pay.

i've been selling on ebay for years and have experimented a ton--people tend to overestimate the value of "free shipping" and will pay more than they would if shipping is an extra charge.

(i.e., they might pay $50 for an item with free shipping or $42 for an item with a $5 shipping charge.)
A similar thing happens on Amazon. I always compare the "Prime" price to pricing on other sites to see how much Amazon is tacking on for "free Prime shipping." Quite often it is outrageous.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:43 AM   #79
thetechfixer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
A similar thing happens on Amazon. I always compare the "Prime" price to pricing on other sites to see how much Amazon is tacking on for "free Prime shipping." Quite often it is outrageous.
Yeah, thats true
Old Aug 31, 2014, 08:06 AM   #80
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502a

Ebay is safer then craigslist and easier. You don't have to meet anyone. You list something up and can see a realistic price for your item. Sucks they take 15+% away but hey price of doing business. You don't have some ***** offering you 200 bucks for something that even used is 600. You won't get robbed by someone when you go make the exchange. If you don't live in a big city then you don't have to meet anyone any place to give them the item where they might or might not show up.

Crappy thing about ebay is you pay them then you have to pay paypal their cut.

I sell a ton online for me its Craigslist(I am in Boston and its amazing here), Amazon then ebay. Amazon fees are around the same but if the customer doesn't like something they always always take the customers side no matter how stupid they customer is. I sold a old Halo Red Spartan toy on Amazon and a person wanted a refund because he wasn't green like the main character. Its like can't you read and didn't you see the 5 pictures I posted
Old Aug 31, 2014, 09:39 AM   #81
r0k
macrumors 68040

I wanted to buy a replacement phone for my wife a few years ago and found it on ebay for $90 but on craigslist for $50. I called the guy and he asked me to meet him at a Walmart in Dearborn. I went to the bank to take out the money and got ready to head down there when he called to tell me he didn't mean inside the store but outside in the parking lot. In the dark. And then he wanted to know what kind of car I drove. I told him my car says "State Police" on the side, hung up and went home and bought the phone off ebay!

The following week there was guy murdered in the Detroit area trying to buy a phone on craigslist. I mean it's just a friggin' phone! Is it worth being hurt or killed to save a few bucks? For those still pondering this deep question about it the answer is no.

I'm not saying never use CL. I'm saying if the other party doesn't want to meet you in the daylight in a bank or other public place simply walk away and ignore them. They aren't worth dealing with.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 09:59 AM   #82
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Had one buyer that wouldn't pay, but it was nothing a non-paying buyer report couldn't fix quickly. 19 years, 1600 sales and that had been the only hiccup.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:02 AM   #83
JohnPi314
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan View Post
I havent sold on ebay in a very long time i just sold some software i didn't need. check the figures below. paypal is owned by ebay

$44.00 - final sold price
$-3.58 - ebay commission
$-1.58 - paypal commission
$-2.97 - shipping costs

$35.87 - net profit

that means for something i sold for only $44, I lost $8.13!! What a ripoff
I agree. Have you tried selling on Amazon? Fees are better, and they will fulfill the orders for you once you send the items off to them.

----------

Quote:
I but outside in the parking lot. In the dark. And then he wanted to know what kind of car I drove. I told him my car says "State Police" on the side, hung up and went home and bought the phone off ebay!

lol. good on you...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice