Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Photoshop CS6

I have this itch to buy Photoshop CS6 - for my Macintosh computers - I do photo editing and I make backgrounds and other stuff.

I can purchase Photoshop CS6 extended from Amazon (via student college discount) for 164.99 UK pounds; this a good deal?

What's the benefit for me owning the real CS6 version rather than pirating it? It'd be nice to own Photoshop legally - as I've lost my CS5 documentation.

Also another thing; would I be able to install Photoshop CS6 on three Macintosh computers running OS X Lion? What happens if I buy another Mac and I want to put Photoshop on there?

Thanks,

Saludos.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
What's the benefit for me owning the real CS6 version rather than pirating it?
Because pirating is stealing, the benefits is that you're not taking something that you have no right too.
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Because pirating is stealing, the benefits is that you're not taking something that you have no right too.
True - is 164.99 a good price?

How many machines can I install Photoshop on if I purchase CS6?

Saludos.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816

Quote:
True - is 164.99 a good price?

How many machines can I install Photoshop on if I purchase CS6?

Saludos.
I believe you can only have it on two computers at once - at least the last I looked. If you get rid of one of those computers you MUST deactivate it on the old computer. If you do not do that and then try to install on a new, second computer, it won't let you since it cannot register the software on more than one machine. I learned this the hard way two years ago, (CS5) when I sold a iMac and 13" MBP and replaced with my current 15". I could not install Photoshop on my new computer since it was still registered/activated on the old ones I sold. I was able to call Adobe and explain things and have then reset my account on a one-time basis.

Yeah, 3 machines would be better than 2 but that's just the way it is. They assume people do not have (or need) more than two, a portable and a desktop.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:06 PM   #5
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
What's the benefit for me owning the real CS6 version rather than pirating it?...
Because of the very few authentic Mac trojans, the majority came as part of a pirated application. If memory serves, the iWork suite and Photoshop were two favoured vectors. This doesn't mean all copies of Photoshop are infected, but you can't guarantee that the copy you get is clean.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice