Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaps59

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
NY
Hi, I know there are many posts about this and Ive read most of them. But most of them are dated and either the links dont worry or they dont help me.

I need a application that works to fast forward video clips and paste them together in a format that works for youtube. Id like a application that doesnt make me reoptimize the video file, and that doesnt make several copies of the original file and move it to where I cant find it. This is the current iMovie does to me and its annoying.
Does anyone have a working link for the very old iMovie? Or a application that is freeware that fits my requirements? Im never really doing hardcore editing, just fastforwarding etc.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi, I know there are many posts about this and Ive read most of them. But most of them are dated and either the links dont worry or they dont help me.

I need a application that works to fast forward video clips and paste them together in a format that works for youtube. Id like a application that doesnt make me reoptimize the video file, and that doesnt make several copies of the original file and move it to where I cant find it. This is the current iMovie does to me and its annoying.
Does anyone have a working link for the very old iMovie? Or a application that is freeware that fits my requirements? Im never really doing hardcore editing, just fastforwarding etc.

If you indeed don't want to do editing like transformations between two clips, your best bet is QuickTime 7 Pro for $30 ( http://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/ ). Despite its spartian interface, it's a heck of an app. I (as a video pro, also owning much more expensive editors) use it very often to quickly stitch / edit / cut my videos without (!!!) having to recompress them.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
This is the current iMovie does to me and its annoying.
iMovie11 only does that if you Finalize a Project. There is no need to do this. Just use the Export Movie option in the Share menu. That will create a .m4v file using h.264 compression which YouTube will happily accept.

aaps59

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
NY
iMovie11 only does that if you Finalize a Project. There is no need to do this. Just use the Export Movie option in the Share menu. That will create a .m4v file using h.264 compression which YouTube will happily accept.

Well recently ive been trying to import clips to use, and ive done it multiple times and now its not creating the thumbnails correctly, it shows them as grey so I cant use them in the project. SO i have to import them into iPhoto, then I have to optimize them again for use in the project, and I end up having multiples of the same clip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.