Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I read some other thread here and posted my concern but i think didnt put into the top so no one sees it so im sorry if i make this thread again as my concern why i cant totally empty my trash try those suggestions using "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/* and lsof |grep <filename> and others to unlock my files from trash but still didnt work out im having troubled on this since yesterday the message display is this "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Man vs. Wild S1” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)
"

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I read some other thread here and posted my concern but i think didnt put into the top so no one sees it so im sorry if i make this thread again as my concern why i cant totally empty my trash try those suggestions using "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/* and lsof |grep <filename> and others to unlock my files from trash but still didnt work out im having troubled on this since yesterday the message display is this "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Man vs. Wild S1” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)
"

I think you will get more replies if you post in the relevent area for your machine.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I think you will get more replies if you post in the relevent area for your machine.

Yeah actually i want to post at the exact forum but i was wondering it goes here and i was looking how to transfer this thread on the right forum, can i anyone knows how?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah actually i want to post at the exact forum but i was wondering it goes here and i was looking how to transfer this thread on the right forum, can i anyone knows how?

You can't do it yourself, but you can use the report icon
report.gif
next to your post to alert a moderator. In this case I found your thread and moved it myself :)

If you can't empty the Trash after a reboot then open up Disk Utility (Finder > Go menu > Utilities > Disk Utility), select your hard drive on the left, and click Repair Disk. This will track down and fix common problems, and may take several minutes. Once it's complete, try emptying the Trash again.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
You can't do it yourself, but you can use the report icon Image next to your post to alert a moderator. In this case I found your thread and moved it myself :)

If you can't empty the Trash after a reboot then open up Disk Utility (Finder > Go menu > Utilities > Disk Utility), select your hard drive on the left, and click Repair Disk. This will track down and fix common problems, and may take several minutes. Once it's complete, try emptying the Trash again.

Thanks!...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You can't do it yourself, but you can use the report icon Image next to your post to alert a moderator. In this case I found your thread and moved it myself :)

Thanks!...

Although Nermal's advise is in essence good advice it won't work for the following reasons.
You can NOT repair a disk if you boot from that disk, you need to run from (at least) another Volume to repair a Volume.
If the HD needs to be repaired you need to startup from another medium like an external bootable HD or a DVD with OS X and repair utilities.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Although Nermal's advise is in essence good advice it won't work for the following reasons.
You can NOT repair a disk if you boot from that disk, you need to run from (at least) another Volume to repair a Volume.

You're right; I knew this was the case with earlier OS X versions but when I tested it in 10.8 I accidentally selected the wrong volume :eek:

Anyway, Verify Disk still works and if there are any problems then they can presumably be fixed from the Recovery System.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
You're right; I knew this was the case with earlier OS X versions but when I tested it in 10.8 I accidentally selected the wrong volume :eek:

Anyway, Verify Disk still works and if there are any problems then they can presumably be fixed from the Recovery System.

I tried but the exeternal disk cannot be repaired, and pop message says that i need to reformat, Why? uhmm i noticed that when i transfered my file on my computer for backup in the middle of transfering it stop and prompt me a message that my disk was not prperly ejected which i was wondering why it happen, i didnt touch my external drive

Last edited:

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
If the HD needs to be repaired you need to startup from another medium like an external bootable HD or a DVD with OS X and repair utilities.

Hmmm...yeah the first advise didnt work uhmm i want to try this advice how to do this?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hmmm...yeah the first advise didnt work uhmm i want to try this advice how to do this?

I know also from another thread what you need but you should first by saying what hardware you actually have, and do you have another bootable external HD?

If your machine is newer or with updated firmware startup from Recovery (Command-R) and repair the disk from there with Disk Utilities.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I know also from another thread what you need but you should first by saying what hardware you actually have, and do you have another bootable external HD?

If your machine is newer or with updated firmware startup from Recovery (Command-R) and repair the disk from there with Disk Utilities.

i dont have bootable external HD yes my EX HD is new just 2weeks old

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.