Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:38 AM   #26
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I don't get carded anywhere I buy alcohol (I'm 44). I only get carded for activities that are not age-dependent.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:49 PM   #27
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I was out last night with 2 younger friends and they were carded. Asked the waitress is she wanted my ID also? (I'm 51) She said no, I called her a bitch.
How big was the age gap?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:49 PM   #28
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I was out last night with 2 younger friends and they were carded. Asked the waitress is she wanted my ID also? (I'm 51) She said no, I called her a bitch.
A few cities around here card up to 55....

Hope you feel better.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:14 PM   #29
sviato
macrumors 68020

Rarely got carded after my last year in high school - facial hair really helped.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 02:31 PM   #30
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Rarely got carded after my last year in high school - facial hair really helped.
I think where I am in rural resort area, appearance doesn't matter. Nobody will tell on you and bar and restaurant owners are desperate for every penny not made in June-August rush seasons. I suspect this is the case almost anywhere that there isn't a sizable population, no corporate restaurants like Applebees or Olive Garden, and little police presence.

There are so many teens in high school with facial hair that can easily pass for mid-20s and I think servers who do ask such a person gets tired of being hassled and abused by those angry patrons who are actually 21 or over who find it annoying to be asked.

Now when you are 35, or over, and a server asks in the rare times that they do, it's a totally cool thing. If somebody thinks my 35 year old body passes for age 20, then it means I did something right, have great genes, or both. The oldest I ever heard of somebody getting carded for cigarettes (age 18 in California at least) is 40 and that had to be a great day for them. On the flipside what is worse is that when you are 25 and somebody thinks you are a member of generation X.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:25 PM   #31
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Toronto...
Only LCBO (Liqueur control board of ontario) and the Beer Store can sell alcohol directly. Other establishments have to be "licensed". Due to this monopoly we pay huge amounts. And if a restaurant if caught selling to underage they lose their licence and effectively go out of business.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #32
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Must show ID to purchase alcohol. Don't drink, so not an issue for me though. However, you can vote without being ID'ed. So I wonder if we are disenfranchising the poor by requiring ID for alcohol
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:49 AM   #33
MyMac1976
Banned

I got enough booze as an adolescent if I'd have been able to get more I'd have been chunky drunky <--very obscure reference if anyone gets it
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:50 AM   #34
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
Must show ID to purchase alcohol. Don't drink, so not an issue for me though. However, you can vote without being ID'ed. So I wonder if we are disenfranchising the poor by requiring ID for alcohol
1) Source that you are legally required to show id to buy beer.

2) Beer drinking isn't protected by the constitution - although maybe it should be as a pursuit of happiness issue .
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:13 AM   #35
Sydde
macrumors 68000

In this part of the country, underage persons are not allowed to enter a bar. So, I found it kind of disorienting to be at a bar in Wisconsin where one patron was sitting next to his 14-year-old daughter. Apparently, it is legal in Wisconsin to purchase alcohol in a restaurant or bar for your child as well. Here, that would not fly at all. Drinking is a sacrament in Wisconsin, the bar-and-tavern-association is a more powerful force there than the catholic church.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues