Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old May 16, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

Are animated GIFs permitted in ads?

Spotted on the front page:

My question has nothing to do with the fact that this is a Samsung ad.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post

From the FAQ

What do I do about annoying ads?
MacRumors uses an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. We do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

If you find a particular ad especially annoying (e.g., an ad that is oversized, obscures the page, moves around, or has sound), let us know by posting a screenshot in our Site and Forum Feedback forum and telling us the URL it links to. Using this information we can ask to have it removed from the ad pool.

If you find all ads annoying, remember that ads support the site and allow us to provide free news, rumors, and discussion, and that ads are suppressed for paid members. See How do I contribute to MacRumors.com? above.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:28 AM   #3
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

I'd read the FAQ, thanks. It didn't answer my question. Do animated GIFs qualify as "moving"? Are all animated GIFs especially annoying, are none of them especially annoying, or does it depend on the particular GIF?
Old May 17, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
I'd read the FAQ, thanks. It didn't answer my question. Do animated GIFs qualify as "moving"? Are all animated GIFs especially annoying, are none of them especially annoying, or does it depend on the particular GIF?
It could, but we really take into consideration of whether the ad is annoying or not. Some animated gif's may not be really annoying and some might be.

I would define, and this is just me, a "moving" ad as one that flies in and across the screen obscuring the view of the page.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:52 PM   #5
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:

We allow animated ads.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #6
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply, Arn.

I enjoy the advertisements on MR. I value the on-topic advertising I find here; I learn a fair amount about the industry from the advertisements themselves.

However, I have no tolerance for infinitely-looping GIFs. If such things had existed when Niven and Pournelle made their version of Inferno, they would have created a special circle of hell for the guy who invented animated GIFs. They are oppressively obnoxious, and those damn Samsung GIFs loop forever. To add insult to distraction, such advertisements consume a non-trivial number of CPU cycles...

If those ads remain on the MR, I will start filtering all ads here. I understand that advertising revenue is important for the site; I'd rather not do that. To risk repeating myself: I actually enjoy and get value out of the normal advertising mix on the site.

Samsung AdHub GIFs may be a cause of lower revenue -- for MacRumors.

Last edited by FloatingBones; May 20, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:04 PM   #7
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

If you ever ban the animated GIFs in advertisements from MacRumors, could you please announce that change in policy here? Thank you.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback