Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
At work i've used many internal Blackmagic cards for video output to monitor, but i have no experience with their external devices.

I have a new iMac 27" (top spec) in order and want a reliable video output for monitoring while editing and working with color corrections. Capturing is not an important feature, but i would like to have the possibility.

The Intensity Extreme seems to have good compatibility with software. Better than the Shuttle it seems. Currently i use mostly FCP7 and Apple Color, but considering newer alternatives as both of these are aging. Maybe Davinci Resolve and FCPX. Haven't decided.

Is the Intensity Extreme with thunderbolt a good choice, or is there other manufacturers in the same price range i should consider?

Any with first hand experience with the device?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I'd recommend the blackmagic products. I've used a number of them firsthand and own a Decklink Extreme 3D for my tower. Very happy with their performance and ease of use. The Intensity Extreme will only get you HDMI and consumer analog in/outs, so it depends on what you want to hook up to. The Ultrastudio Express is the next step up and adds HD-SDI and XLR connectivity for professional equipment.

MacFro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
I'd recommend the blackmagic products. I've used a number of them firsthand and own a Decklink Extreme 3D for my tower. Very happy with their performance and ease of use. The Intensity Extreme will only get you HDMI and consumer analog in/outs, so it depends on what you want to hook up to. The Ultrastudio Express is the next step up and adds HD-SDI and XLR connectivity for professional equipment.

Thanks for the reply.

I will be using it for smaller occasional projects in an home office. For monitor i was planning on using either a good 20-27" lcd tv or one of Sonys entrylevel monitors as I've had good experience with them before. They both will run over hdmi so i see no need for sdi at the moment. As for capture, the connections are mostly a bonus. The material i work with usually comes ready on an harddrive anyways. Very convenient :)

MacFro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Have you buy Intensity Extreme? What can you tell about Ultrastudio Mini Monitor?

Yes, i have bought the Intensity Extreme but have yet not testet it. It is still in the box. Maybe i will try to connect it tomorrow.

I was told by a salesman that Ultrastudio Mini Monitor has the same playback possibilities as Intensity Extreme, but with less connections for importing video etc. So it should give same quality on playback and support the same software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.