White People and Europeans STILL Prejudice - Page 4 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 3, 2014, 02:14 PM   #76
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinEderPlayz View Post
Just FYI, I am white and European. Thus I feel fairly insulted by the thread title which PREJUDICES all Europeans as racists. Start by making a difference on YOUR OWN and change that title.
And now I'm offended because thread necromancy can easily be construed as a slight against my peoples.

How dare you, sir. How. Dare. You.
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:01 AM   #77
yjchua95
macrumors 68020

Location: Queenstown, NZ and Melbourne, VIC, Australia (formerly KL, Malaysia)
Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
The reason why prejudice exists is due to behavior from the majority of a race.

For instance in Malaysia (I lived there for quite some time before returning to NZ), there's a lot of Chinese tourists who love to show off their wealth. So many locals here already have the assumption that mainland Chinese tourists will only want to buy the most expensive of items.

I've noticed shopkeepers showing Chinese tourists only the most expensive goods which are exorbitantly overpriced, and not showing them cheaper goods which offer better value for money. I mean, it also sickens me that they're taking advantage of the tourists' pockets.

Just my two cents here.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:49 AM   #78
Huntn
macrumors 604

Prejudice: It's a natural for human beings, who have to work hard to rise above it. Most of us don't.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:00 AM   #79
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Prejudice: It's a natural for human beings, who have to work hard to rise above it. Most of us don't.
I think prejudice is more nurture than nature. If you were to take a bunch of kids of difference races and throw them all together at a young age, black kids, white kids, Asians, middle eastern people, maybe some Eskimos, they wouldn't automatically start grouping together with other people of similar appearance, not without any outside influence. From being exposed to a multipeople environment at such a young age, they'd take it as perfectly normal, and would be mixing and matching without even thinking about it.

It's all about what you're used to or what you're taught rather than any natural human tendencies.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 02:17 PM   #80
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I think prejudice is more nurture than nature. If you were to take a bunch of kids of difference races and throw them all together at a young age, black kids, white kids, Asians, middle eastern people, maybe some Eskimos, they wouldn't automatically start grouping together with other people of similar appearance, not without any outside influence. From being exposed to a multipeople environment at such a young age, they'd take it as perfectly normal, and would be mixing and matching without even thinking about it.

It's all about what you're used to or what you're taught rather than any natural human tendencies.
While I can agree with, there is still a tendency if you see a group of people who are different, especially if you imagine as different or in some way unworthy, we might lump them all together in whatever way our prejudices lead us. Recognition of this tendency is they key.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 03:44 PM   #81
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
While I can agree with, there is still a tendency if you see a group of people who are different, especially if you imagine as different or in some way unworthy, we might lump them all together in whatever way our prejudices lead us. Recognition of this tendency is they key.
If I were to point towards any one thing we have a tendency to react to, it's more culture rather than race. Or to put it more simply, perceived differences in the way we act and think, rather than the way we look.

All the racial differences we tend to categorize ourselves into all look about the same as each other, and the differences are only superficial at most. Someone might have a slightly different shade of skin color, or a slightly higher cheekbones, but everyone is recognizably and undeniably human. Those kids I mentioned above, they'd view skin color about the same as hair or eye color.

If you want a good example of this in action, well...physical attraction is universal. It's a rare thing to find a white person who's solely attracted to white people, or a black person who's solely attracted to black people, or an Asian who only likes other Asians. Everybody pretty much wants to have sex with everybody.

...but people can act considerably different depending on where they live and what they're taught while growing up. Mindsets, beliefs, accents, languages spoken, these can separate even people who otherwise look exactly the same. If you introduce someone with an mindset different from a given group, they'll have a harder time fitting in than someone who thinks and likes the same things the group does.

All the racist statements you see these days don't center entirely upon how someone looks. It's always about how "they" live, or how "they" think. Even the most racist people in the world tend to have friends who are a different race than they are. And they always have the same excuse as to why they do: "he don't act like the other ones".

So I think it's more the way people act, dress, and think than it is about how we look that has the potential to drive a wedge of prejudice between us. The good news is that the internet and our able to travel the world much more quickly and easily has made us considerably more aware that there are people out there who look at the world differently than we do, and thus more accepting of those differences. There'll always be a divide somewhere, somehow, and people who think and act alike will always tend to group together. But the divide doesn't necessarily have to be an uncrossable gulf, nor one mired in hate and misunderstanding.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 04:13 PM   #82
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
... Even the most racist people in the world tend to have friends who are a different race than they are. ...
Well, that's what they always say....
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:38 AM   #83
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
If I were to point towards any one thing we have a tendency to react to, it's more culture rather than race. Or to put it more simply, perceived differences in the way we act and think, rather than the way we look.

All the racial differences we tend to categorize ourselves into all look about the same as each other, and the differences are only superficial at most. Someone might have a slightly different shade of skin color, or a slightly higher cheekbones, but everyone is recognizably and undeniably human. Those kids I mentioned above, they'd view skin color about the same as hair or eye color.

If you want a good example of this in action, well...physical attraction is universal. It's a rare thing to find a white person who's solely attracted to white people, or a black person who's solely attracted to black people, or an Asian who only likes other Asians. Everybody pretty much wants to have sex with everybody.

...but people can act considerably different depending on where they live and what they're taught while growing up. Mindsets, beliefs, accents, languages spoken, these can separate even people who otherwise look exactly the same. If you introduce someone with an mindset different from a given group, they'll have a harder time fitting in than someone who thinks and likes the same things the group does.

All the racist statements you see these days don't center entirely upon how someone looks. It's always about how "they" live, or how "they" think. Even the most racist people in the world tend to have friends who are a different race than they are. And they always have the same excuse as to why they do: "he don't act like the other ones".

So I think it's more the way people act, dress, and think than it is about how we look that has the potential to drive a wedge of prejudice between us. The good news is that the internet and our able to travel the world much more quickly and easily has made us considerably more aware that there are people out there who look at the world differently than we do, and thus more accepting of those differences. There'll always be a divide somewhere, somehow, and people who think and act alike will always tend to group together. But the divide doesn't necessarily have to be an uncrossable gulf, nor one mired in hate and misunderstanding.
I agree but in many cases it is after we have categorized them as a group, it could be race, class, economic standing, political views, etc.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues