Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:39 PM   #51
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffy Dave View Post
End of story, rMBA 11+13, iPad 5, all March!
Reason?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:16 PM   #52
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrie View Post
Point 2 is moot because the engineering has been done. Its called the IGZO display. IGZO is the new Retina display that is thinner and lighter.

It also uses less power and does not get as hot.

All those problems have been over come with the IGZO display. And yes, they can indeed make them in the mini size as well.

Cost is also a factor for Apple and for the consumer. These are no doubt very expensive. And its not about the display its about the processor power, battery and GPU which I have repeatedly been reminding people.

Last edited by jonnyb098; Jan 24, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
jonnyb098 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:54 PM   #53
ct1211
macrumors member

[QUOTE=jonnyb098;16713961]Let me preface by pointing out that personally I always felt the March rumors were ridiculous link bait. However I have laid out some points of interest/logic of why a "retina" mini won't be released until fall.

POINT 1:
Tim Cook REPEATEDLY stressed during today's quarterly conference call that iPad mini units were very constrained and still so currently. I find it extremely unlikely that we will ever see a "retina" mini before fall given they still can't keep up with current demand. If there were indeed a march release, they would need to ramp up in the coming weeks for that release. Very unlikely since they cant even keep up now!

POINT 2:
There is a SEVERE amount of engineering that will have to go into making a retina mini in such a small and light package. The full size iPad had to get thicker and heavier to accomodate this. There are massive heat and battery issues to overcome. I simply can't see that all being figured out and components ready to go in the next few weeks for a March release.

Relax until fall people[/QUOTE

I would agree with your supply / constraint argument. I submit that Apples strategy is to stay different at a profit. They are still riding a cliquey must have wave and can therefore still sell products that, apart from the app store offerings is, in many ways inferior to the competition. I currently have an iPad mini 16GB 4G ($459.00)and a Nexus 7 32GB ($249.00) The Nexus has a better screen, better voice command, better typing (voice or touch screen) built in GPS on wifi model (I bought the iPad 4G for the GPS used through 4G hotspot) all for almost half the price of the iPad mini. Anyone that thinks this compariosn is subjective - I defy you to try a JB Android tablet for a week. You'll think IOS is from 2007 when your done. Nothing has changed. There is no Magic here from either company. One is trying to make a lot of money on hardware and to make an unheard of 40% margin they have to double the price and offer less in terms of features. Apple smartly designed the better looking hardware and made people lust after said hardware, software be damned. Google sells advertising and other services. giving away feature packed products at crazy prices helps them sell more services. Apple will logically have to move on to a new gadget phase to maintain growth (perhaps a $2995.00 50" TV). People will not continue to pay a premium for increasingly inferior products will you? Also my wife stole the nexus and I am about to sell my iPad mini on ebay for a crazy price about $60.00 more than I bought it for. Isn't it great?? After all this ranting I now own an apple macbook Retina - A 15" laptop I paid - double for, to get a cool screen.
ct1211 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:38 PM   #54
ATC
macrumors 6502

Reading this thread I can't help but remember last year where so many people created very detailed and logically sound posts about how there could NOT be a second iPad refresh in 2012. Then the iPad 4 was released.

I'm not saying there will be a retina mini in March, in fact I actually agree with the OP's assertions, but I also would not bet against it either.
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:08 AM   #55
WeegieMac

I can't see yet another iPad so soon (iPad 5th Gen), I don't think customers would tolerate two rapid fire updates to the main iPad hardware line.

Come April I'm eligible for my annual deal on a new iPad via my work, we basically choose our model/spec and pay it out our salary every month whilst receiving a nice corporate discount of 10%.

If there's an iPad 5 in March, great. If not, I'll get a 32GB WiFi 4th Gen and give my 64GB WiFi + Cellular 3rd Gen to my wife. I can't get the damn thing off her these days anyway ...

Win, win.
WeegieMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:01 AM   #56
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
I can't see yet another iPad so soon (iPad 5th Gen), I don't think customers would tolerate two rapid fire updates to the main iPad hardware line.

Come April I'm eligible for my annual deal on a new iPad via my work, we basically choose our model/spec and pay it out our salary every month whilst receiving a nice corporate discount of 10%.

If there's an iPad 5 in March, great. If not, I'll get a 32GB WiFi 4th Gen and give my 64GB WiFi + Cellular 3rd Gen to my wife. I can't get the damn thing off her these days anyway ...

Win, win.
I don't think the majority of customers would care if there was another one released in March. The average consumer doesn't feel the need to upgrade every time a new product is released.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:11 AM   #57
lympero
macrumors 6502

I don't expect an ipad mini to be released so soon but I'm hoping for an ipad 5!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:43 AM   #58
frosse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I don't think the majority of customers would care if there was another one released in March. The average consumer doesn't feel the need to upgrade every time a new product is released.
Totally agree. Sure everyone would like to have the latest and greatest but I don't think, as you say, that the average consumer really cares.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad