Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modingo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I had an Apple TV 3 in Nov 2012 and it came loaded with ATV OS 5.0.1. The Apple TV Airplay worked flawlessly on all my iDevices, my G4 powerbook and my G4 Mac Mini. I didn't update the Apple TV at all because it was working perfectly.

Then this ATV 5.2 update was released. Apple servers pushed this update constantly to my Apple TV causing my Satellite Internet provider to throttle my connection due to overages on low bandwidth caps. If Apple TV was unplugged nothing was ever downloaded but 2 mins after powering up the Apple TV, the download graph showed the update attempting to start over on another update.

To prevent further ISP issues, I installed the update with no problems. Unfortunately, now none of my G4 PPC computers can use Airplay to the Apple TV. The icon shows in iTunes but it tries to connect to the ATV via Airplay and simply stops after 2 mins. I found out the hard way that this ATV 5.2 update is based on iOS6.1 and apparently is NOT compatible with PPC computers for Airplay use. My ipads and ipad touch devices can still use Airplay successfully. The ipads are still using iOS5.1.1 because iOS6 is incompatible with G4 PPC macs (to sync).

So any of you who have pre-Intel Macs and use Airplay with an AppleTV, do not update your ATV to 5.2 or you will lose that functionality.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I had an Apple TV 3 in Nov 2012 and it came loaded with ATV OS 5.0.1. The Apple TV Airplay worked flawlessly on all my iDevices, my G4 powerbook and my G4 Mac Mini. I didn't update the Apple TV at all because it was working perfectly.

Then this ATV 5.2 update was released. Apple servers pushed this update constantly to my Apple TV causing my Satellite Internet provider to throttle my connection due to overages on low bandwidth caps. If Apple TV was unplugged nothing was ever downloaded but 2 mins after powering up the Apple TV, the download graph showed the update attempting to start over on another update.

To prevent further ISP issues, I installed the update with no problems. Unfortunately, now none of my G4 PPC computers can use Airplay to the Apple TV. The icon shows in iTunes but it tries to connect to the ATV via Airplay and simply stops after 2 mins. I found out the hard way that this ATV 5.2 update is based on iOS6.1 and apparently is NOT compatible with PPC computers for Airplay use. My ipads and ipad touch devices can still use Airplay successfully. The ipads are still using iOS5.1.1 because iOS6 is incompatible with G4 PPC macs (to sync).

So any of you who have pre-Intel Macs and use Airplay with an AppleTV, do not update your ATV to 5.2 or you will lose that functionality.

What you are talking about sounds like Homesharing where any videos in your iTunes is readily available on your AppleTV via the computer right? Did you try unplugging, letting it sit for 30 seconds, and replugging in your AppleTV?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

I thought Airplay had always required at least an Intel processor.

You've been able to mirror your desktop from a PPC Mac to AppleTV all this time?

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
The OP never said anything about video, mirroring or otherwise. :) My guess is that modingo is talking about streaming music from iTunes.

OP, is there an update to iTunes available on your PPC Mac that has yet to be installed? The intel iTunes software was updated at the same time as the last ATV update if memory serves. Hope this helps!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

The OP never said anything about video, mirroring or otherwise. :) My guess is that modingo is talking about streaming music from iTunes.

OP, is there an update to iTunes available on your PPC Mac that has yet to be installed? The intel iTunes software was updated at the same time as the last ATV update if memory serves. Hope this helps!

From the Apple AirPlay site: "AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream what’s on your iOS device to your HDTV and speakers via Apple TV. Or mirror exactly what’s on your display to the big screen."

Streaming music is not part of Airplay, and has been around since the Airport Express was released.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Streaming music is not part of Airplay, and has been around since the Airport Express was released.

Actually it is. Before video streaming was added it was called Airtunes. Airtunes is now obsolete and is part of what is now called Airplay, refering to streaming video, music or mirroring between any compatible host and end points (including Airport Express).

The Apple page may only reference streaming from iOS devices, but you can also do it from new Macs, and even Apple TV's (audio only, with the latest version releases).

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
What all of you are referencing is airplay mirroring, which is different from airplay itself. Airplay should work on any apple device that is updated enough to support it. OP, as someone else said check for an update. Or try and restart both your Mac and Apple TV.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
as others have said, reboot your mac and the aTV.
but also reboot your router. i've had this fix my airplay a few times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.