Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
jharris206
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 Damage

Thursday night, while cleaning during a studying break, I decided it would be a good idea to clean my Otterbox case while I cleaned the bathroom. Even better, why not keep my unprotected iPhone 4 right next to the sink filled with water so I can listen to music while I clean?* Of course, my cat knocked it in the water & it was submerged for about 3 seconds. I completely panicked, immediately dried it the best I could with a towel & stupidly tried to make it work again. The flash for the camera stayed on even when I restarted it, the speakers wouldn't work, then the screen stopped working, & the camera lens was wet & foggy. I put it in a tupperware container full of rice & left it until today. Now it works perfectly!!! My friends swears that once there's water damage & the red spot appears in the dock connector area, you're screwed & there will be constant problems...even if it's currently working fine. That worries me because I use my phone for *everything*, including school. My life is on that phone & it's been hell not having it. Did I get incredibly lucky or am I screwed?

EDIT: When I say the screen stopped working, I mean the screen would turn on with no distortion, but I couldn't get it to unlock. I think the touch part wasn't working.

*In my defense, I normally take very good care of my phones. I've had a cell since I was 14 (I'm 26 now) & this is the first insurance claim I've ever had to make. Ironically enough, it appears studying the anatomy & biological functions of the brain makes my brain stupid.
jharris206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2
jamesjingyi
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to jamesjingyi
If its ok now, it should be ok. The red spot is only for the genius bar ppl so they can tell if there's been water damage.

Good luck! Hope its good forever more
jamesjingyi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:10 PM   #3
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

Pro tip: after contact with water, especially full submersion, best thing to do is keep it off as long as possible (min 48 hrs) to allow the water to dry and prevent electrical shorts from killing components.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone