Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Umm... a pair of these things HAS to cost in excess of $4000-5000, don't you think?

As you said, up to 6 gigs. The 6 gig version will be expensive, but they'll have cheaper options with less expensive GPU.

2. The PCIe flash drive in the Mac Pro that's "up to 2.5x faster than current SSD technology"? Again, sounds costly! The only similar drives I see for sale already in the Windows world are models like this one

Don't forget the freshly updated Macbook Air, it has a similar SSD that has reads and writes in the 800 and 700 meg per second ranges.

No way this thing starts out costing thousands more than the previous version. Probably a price increase of $500 tops, and I think there's a good chance it's even less.

muncyweb

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
Glad they're making stuff in the U.S. That's a brave move considering all the red tape, economic disaster, and government bull crap American businesses have to endure.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah... turning screws isn't all this is about ....

I think the most significant part of having a U.S. based factory assembling the new Mac Pro is the factory equipment and processes required. The aluminum extruding machinery and so forth are expensive, but also something you don't generally just invest in to make one product.

If you put together a factory and tool it up for something with a custom enclosure like the new Mac Pro has, you're probably looking at it becoming a long term facility to form a lot more aluminum for future projects, too.

This would, honestly, be a lot less of a big deal if we were talking about a factory assembling PC clones in standard mini-tower cases, where literally, you are paying workers to just turn a bunch of screws.

I'm not saying these guys should make $40 per hour screwing aluminum casing together so we pay more for it. I'm just glad to see something getting made here. We can't live off retail alone, Canada and the US need to keep making stuff.

Ezlivin

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I don't think I will

Sounds like you need to move over seas where they think like you.

As a 100% disabled American veteran married to another veteran, I think I'll stay in the country I and my wife (and our fathers) served to defend. Don't confuse criticism with hate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.