Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scifigal777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Hi Everyone

I know the new Haswell rMBPs are due to come out soon, but I'm getting impatient.

I was wondering if the following is a good deal or not:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999994-REG/Apple_z0n4_md2132_13_3_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

It's currently $1799 through the Apple Insider link.

Is B&H Photo a good place to buy a Mac? Is this a good price for the configuration? From what I can tell, I think this is an October 2012 model, not a February 2013 model, but I don't care about the .1ghz speed increase.

Even when the Haswell models come out they're going to be a lot more expensive than this.

Thanks
SFG

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi Everyone

I know the new Haswell rMBPs are due to come out soon, but I'm getting impatient.

I was wondering if the following is a good deal or not:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999994-REG/Apple_z0n4_md2132_13_3_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

It's currently $1799 through the Apple Insider link.

Is B&H Photo a good place to buy a Mac? Is this a good price for the configuration? From what I can tell, I think this is an October 2012 model, not a February 2013 model, but I don't care about the .1ghz speed increase.

Even when the Haswell models come out they're going to be a lot more expensive than this.

Thanks
SFG

That is a great deal since they're basically giving you the extra 512GB drive for only an extra $300 vs the $900 it's still going for. I think it's strange to get such a discount on a major upgrade to the machine and would investigate that first.

And just to play it safe(if you can spend that kind of money) then look at Apple's refurb site. they have the Feb 2013 model with a 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM for $1,869. They also have a Feb 2013 model with a 768GB SSD and 8GB RAM(2.6GHz i5) for $2,199.

scifigal777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I don't really have another $400 to spend just to get it from Apple (although it is the Feb 2013 version not the Oct 2012). $1800 is already a stretch. I guess it depends on whether or not B&H Photo is a good place to get a Mac from. I'm still also following the rumors about Haswell and may still hold out for that.

redmarble

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
I guess it depends on whether or not B&H Photo is a good place to get a Mac from.

It's an awesome place to buy Mac gear from... and ALL other tech stuff!!

They are very pleasant to deal with and have very very competitive prices! I have purchased pro cameras (Nikons), video camera (Canon vixia HF S200), a Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, hard drives, memory, monitors, printers, software, all sorts of computer/camera accessories, and supplies. I've used them for over 10 years, now... They have never disappointed me!!

I am going to buy this tomorrow:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...tails&Q=&sku=897209&is=REG&bundleId=897209REG

Going to use it as my video editing workstation for my GoPro cameras.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
B&H is certainly a good company, but my only complaint is that they do not allow you to return opened computers, and if you have a defect, they will only replace it in most cases. Not generally an issue, but I bought a Mac Mini from them that had the white crush issue through the HDMI. It made the machine somewhat useless for me, and since it was considered defective B&H wanted to simply replace it, which I knew wouldn't solve the issue. They were kind of enough to allow me to return it for a full refund, but that is out of the norm for them.

From their website:

No Return/Exchange on the following:
TVs, combos and monitors 37" and larger once any of the packaging has been opened.

Computers and Computer Software, once any of the manufacturer's packaging has been opened.

Electronic Software Downloads are not returnable or refundable.
All consumable items (e.g., film, tapes, paper, bulbs, CD, DVDs, etc.) once unwrapped.

Any computers built or modified by B&H to customer's specifications.
Special Order merchandise or any item indicated on the website as non-returnable.

Underwater equipment that has been submerged.

Educational tapes and books once unwrapped.

B&H Gift Cards are redeemable for merchandise only and may not be redeemed for cash.

Defective items may be repaired, exchanged or refunded at our discretion for the same model or manufacturer's equivalent model

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I don't really have another $400 to spend just to get it from Apple (although it is the Feb 2013 version not the Oct 2012). $1800 is already a stretch. I guess it depends on whether or not B&H Photo is a good place to get a Mac from. I'm still also following the rumors about Haswell and may still hold out for that.

I understand that but the thing with Haswell CPUs is that they're going to be new for the Mac this year, but Intel is also working on Broadwell(which will probably be released in another year. How much the next generation will improve upon the Haswell is anyone's guess at this point depending on the other hardware involved, but I would say that if you can afford a machine now, then get one now. There is always something better and more powerful on the horizon, but that's not always necessary(in my opinion).

I sold my early 2009 iMac and would gladly have it back now even though there are more powerful machines out there. Instead though, I used the money from my iMac sale to not only pay a couple of things, but also get an iBook G4, an iMac G5, and a PowerMac G5 quad. Yes, I am in the PowerPC world and don't see myself climbing out of it for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.