Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I don't know just the whole process I guess but you can always revert back to iOS if need be, right? Anyway I didn't think there was a JB of the latest iOS.....

Yes it is really not that hard, the last JB for 5.1.1 was very easy, basically plug and play. Cydia acts as your App Store, just take it slow on what you add and tweak and it really is a great experience.

However you are correct there is no JB for the 5 yet, but i think once iOs 6.1 drops we will see it.

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
I just jailbroke my ATTUsa iPhone 5, FW 6.1
installed PdaNet, it did not work, I could not enable tethering either by USB, nor by hotspot.
Removed PdaNet

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
after installing PDANet, my Weather app stopped opening, touching the icon would open the app and then immediately it would quit.

Uninstalling PDANet did not solve the problem, I had to restore my iPhone 5 to remove the Jailbreak.

rebar

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
Iowa City
Boy, sure hope my new iphone5 tethers to my laptop when I travel.. salesman said he'd set it up for me.

first post.. can you tell?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Boy, sure hope my new iphone5 tethers to my laptop when I travel.. salesman said he'd set it up for me.

first post.. can you tell?

If you're paying for tethering on your plan then you're fine and have nothing to worry about. The posts in this thread are for people trying to tether without paying their carrier for it.

rebar

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
Iowa City
If you're paying for tethering on your plan then you're fine and have nothing to worry about. The posts in this thread are for people trying to tether without paying their carrier for it.

The way the salesman explained it, I could do it myself and if I had issues to come see him.. He never said it was a extra cost..

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
> salesman said he'd set it up for me.

that means he added the feature to your account. Look at your bill, you're paying 20 a month for tethering, if you're with ATT Usa.

The alternative was to Jailbreak and use a Cydia app called TetherMe, that costs $5 one time. If you want to know whether you can jailbreak your version of the iPhone software, go to iClarified.com and look at their jail breaking tutorials.

> He never said it was a extra cost..

he also never said it was free.. all features cost money. Tethering is an additional feature that salespeople can add to a customer account. It is an upsell.

rebar

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
Iowa City
Im reading "It is free if you're on a a Share Everything plan." Im with Verizon.

Which my family has.. But I cant find anything on "my verizon" saying I have tethering, or a option to buy it.

tethering verizon

rebar

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
Iowa City
Turn it on in your iphone. If it doesn't allow it, it will tell you to call verizon.

The iphone5 allows it allright.
But says "additional usage charges may apply" but I'm unclear if that means another plan cost, or just the additional data used when tethering.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The iphone5 allows it allright.
But says "additional usage charges may apply" but I'm unclear if that means another plan cost, or just the additional data used when tethering.

This means if you go over the data limit, you will be charged extra. On my phone, I have unlimited data, but am not allowed to tether unless I pay $30 more a month. When I try to activate tethering on phone, a banner tells me to add a tethering plan.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
If someone is on the tiered data plan with Verizon, is tethering included? Should they be able to turn on hotspot tethering and have no additional charge if within their data limit?

Is it something that Verizon has to approve first? Should it be included based on the FCC ruling?

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
I have tmobile and tethering just works without any restrictions on iOS 7 GM. I have unlimited plan. Yea no throttling

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.