Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:43 PM   #26
Huntn
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
The same. Gerrymandering.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...dHrK_blog.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/18/politics/gerrymandering/

From the latter:



The former link shows 10 different congressional districts that were redrawn for that election. You keep talking about "shellacking", when you completely ignore or are oblivious to what truly happened.

BL.
Why do I suspect he (SD) is ok with the practice?
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:12 PM   #27
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
First of all, the districts in 2010 were the same as the districts in 2008 and 2006. The districts do not change until the year AFTER the census is completed. So the redistricting had no effect on the 2010 election.

Second, yes, I'm fine with redistricting. That is what happens when your party controls the state government in a census year, you get to draw the lines for the next ten years. It's within our laws.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
The same. Gerrymandering.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...dHrK_blog.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/18/politics/gerrymandering/

From the latter:



The former link shows 10 different congressional districts that were redrawn for that election. You keep talking about "shellacking", when you completely ignore or are oblivious to what truly happened.

BL.
Both of your links are from 2011. One from September and one from November of 2011.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:19 PM   #28
bradl
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
First of all, the districts in 2010 were the same as the districts in 2008 and 2006. The districts do not change until the year AFTER the census is completed. So the redistricting had no effect on the 2010 election.

Second, yes, I'm fine with redistricting. That is what happens when your party controls the state government in a census year, you get to draw the lines for the next ten years. It's within our laws.

----------



Both of your links are from 2011. One from September and one from November of 2011.
Did you miss the part where it said, and I repeat again:

Quote:
In 2010, Republicans captured control of North Carolina's legislature for the first time since shortly after the Civil War. They drew district lines in a way to pack 49% of all of North Carolina's African-American voters in just three of the state's 13 congressional districts. That left the other 10 districts mostly white and predictably Republican.
The redistricting happened in 2010, despite the date of the articles posted. Otherwise, the Democrat incumbent would not have been excluded from his own district. That happened prior to the elections.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:24 PM   #29
vrDrew
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
First of all, the districts in 2010 were the same as the districts in 2008 and 2006. The districts do not change until the year AFTER the census is completed. So the redistricting had no effect on the 2010 election..
Thats not the issue. The issue is that (Gerrymandered or not) "safe" Democratic or Republican districts tend to overly polarize the political process.

A Congressman doesn't have to worry about being defeated by an opponent from the opposite party, He has to worry about being "Primaried" by someone even more extreme in his views than he is.

That, in a nutshell, is what happened to Eric Cantor.

Nobody in their right mind would accuse Cantor of being "liberal" in his viewpoints or his voting record. But his opponent could make a plausible case that he wasn't as absolutely Conservative as he possibly could be. The 38% of his electorate that was reliably "liberal" or Democratic leaning was irrelevant. He simply concentrated on the ~ 15% of the electorate that a) was reliably Republican and b) showed up to vote in Primary elections.

Maybe you think that a Congress that is incapable of doing anything is a good thing.

I don't. And I am deeply concerned about the future of our country because of it.

Forget about social programs or inequality. We can't even get a decent Transportation bill passed these days. Have you seen the state of some of our Freeways?
vrDrew is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:40 PM   #30
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Did you miss the part where it said, and I repeat again:



The redistricting happened in 2010, despite the date of the articles posted. Otherwise, the Democrat incumbent would not have been excluded from his own district. That happened prior to the elections.

BL.
You are wrong. Although I doubt that you will admit it. The redistricting takes effect the YEAR AFTER the census. So while the lines are drawn in 2010 they only take effect in 2011. I wonder if Brad is able to admit that he was wrong about something.

United States House of Representatives elections in North Carolina, 2010

Quote:
This was the last election based on apportionments of the 2000 United States Census, which gave North Carolina thirteen seats in the House. Districts for the 2012 elections will be based on the 2010 United States Census.

Last edited by Southern Dad; Jun 16, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Southern Dad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:53 AM   #31
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
What happened? I hear crickets in here. Did we figure out that Southern Dad was correct. The districts used in the 2010 election of the House of Representatives were the same as the districts used in the 2006 and 2008 elections. Why did the Democrat lose the House? Why did the President get, in his own words a "shellacking"?

The reason is because Americans were fed up with the Obama Train rolling over the minority party in the Congress. The Affordable Care Act was rushed through. A monstrously huge piece of legislation that no one read. If this Administration keeps hiding everything, denying scandal after scandal but not giving the American people what they need to satisfy their curiosity on these events, they will have further loses in 2014.

I'm not sure that the President doesn't want to lose the Senate. The War on Coal pretty much handed the GOP the West Virginia seat. After all, when was the last time that a sitting President almost lost his own parties nomination for reelection to a convicted criminal actually serving time? Keith Judd took 40% of the Democrat vote in the primary. It's a closed primary, Republicans can't vote in it!
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:04 AM   #32
bradl
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
What happened? I hear crickets in here. Did we figure out that Southern Dad was correct. The districts used in the 2010 election of the House of Representatives were the same as the districts used in the 2006 and 2008 elections. Why did the Democrat lose the House? Why did the President get, in his own words a "shellacking"?

The reason is because Americans were fed up with the Obama Train rolling over the minority party in the Congress. The Affordable Care Act was rushed through. A monstrously huge piece of legislation that no one read. If this Administration keeps hiding everything, denying scandal after scandal but not giving the American people what they need to satisfy their curiosity on these events, they will have further loses in 2014.

I'm not sure that the President doesn't want to lose the Senate. The War on Coal pretty much handed the GOP the West Virginia seat. After all, when was the last time that a sitting President almost lost his own parties nomination for reelection to a convicted criminal actually serving time? Keith Judd took 40% of the Democrat vote in the primary. It's a closed primary, Republicans can't vote in it!
No. We didn't figure out that you are correct. In fact, just the very background of who you are and where you have come from proves the point of this article.

You mentioned previously that you were either born, raised, or lived in Ohio, typically a Blue state. You didn't want to be associated with any of them there because of your political views, so you moved to the Deep South, which is a die-hard Red state. You are now living with the kind of people that share your political views.

Thank you for proving the point of this article by being exactly who you are.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:06 AM   #33
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
No. We didn't figure out that you are correct. In fact, just the very background of who you are and where you have come from proves the point of this article.

You mentioned previously that you were either born, raised, or lived in Ohio, typically a Blue state. You didn't want to be associated with any of them there because of your political views, so you moved to the Deep South, which is a die-hard Red state. You are now living with the kind of people that share your political views.

Thank you for proving the point of this article by being exactly who you are.

BL.
So you are still denying that the House Districts are what caused the loss of the House in 2010? Even though the districts don't change until the year following the census?

My choice not to return to Ohio when I retired from the military was because my retirement pay is the same in all fifty states. Why would I want to live somewhere with a higher cost of living? Besides they have snow up there.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:11 AM   #34
bradl
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
So you are still denying that the House Districts are what caused the loss of the House in 2010? Even though the districts don't change until the year following the census?
I stand by my post.

Prove to us that they change the following year.

Quote:
My choice not to return to Ohio when I retired from the military was because my retirement pay is the same in all fifty states. Why would I want to live somewhere with a higher cost of living? Besides they have snow up there.
Regardless of your 'choice', your political views are the topic here, and as they match your location and because you are staunchly against the Blues, you prove the point of the article.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:16 AM   #35
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
I stand by my post.

Prove to us that they change the following year.
You just can't argue with facts.

Quote:
Because the deadline for the House Clerk to report the results does not occur until the following January, and the states need sufficient time to perform the redistricting, the decennial census does not affect the elections that are held during that same year. For example, the electoral college apportionment during 2000 presidential election was still based on the 1990 census results. Likewise, the congressional districts and the electoral college during the 2020 general elections will still be based on the 2010 census.
United States congressional apportionment
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:19 AM   #36
bradl
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
You just can't argue with facts.



United States congressional apportionment
And where does this state that the 2010 election was based on previous lines? You have proven nothing.

In fact, don't even bother answering. This is obviously the T word in looking for an argument, and after your previous posts, I'm done. I'm going to go do something useful, like playing with my 2 year old daughter. I would suggest you do the same.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:30 AM   #37
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
You just can't argue with facts.



United States congressional apportionment
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
And where does this state that the 2010 election was based on previous lines? You have proven nothing.

In fact, don't even bother answering. This is obviously the T word in looking for an argument, and after your previous posts, I'm done. I'm going to go do something useful, like playing with my 2 year old daughter. I would suggest you do the same.

BL.
Quote:
Because the deadline for the House Clerk to report the results does not occur until the following January, and the states need sufficient time to perform the redistricting, the decennial census does not affect the elections that are held during that same year. For example, the electoral college apportionment during 2000 presidential election was still based on the 1990 census results. Likewise, the congressional districts and the electoral college during the 2020 general elections will still be based on the 2010 census.
See, I'm able to admit when I make a mistake. Because I make plenty of them. You on the other hand still argue that the Gerrymandering of the House Districts played any part in the loss of the House in 2010. It didn't.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:31 AM   #38
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
See, I'm able to admit when I make a mistake. Because I make plenty of them. You on the other hand still argue that the Gerrymandering of the House Districts played any part in the loss of the House in 2010. It didn't.
I think you are most likely correct here. I doubt the census data would have otherwise been available in time for starters.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:38 AM   #39
bradl
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
See, I'm able to admit when I make a mistake. Because I make plenty of them. You on the other hand still argue that the Gerrymandering of the House Districts played any part in the loss of the House in 2010. It didn't.
Certain female victims would disagree with you.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:44 AM   #40
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Certain female victims would disagree with you.

BL.
Good one but it doesn't change the 2010 House Districts. Now that gerrymandering is eliminated, what we need to figure out is WHY the House was lost in 2010. Personally, I think it was a shellacking for the President and the Democrats overreaching.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voting Rules and Regs Huntn Politics, Religion, Social Issues 34 Nov 4, 2013 07:40 PM
Trying to make a voting ballot histo243 Mac Basics and Help 0 Aug 24, 2013 10:45 PM
Military and voting? 63dot Politics, Religion, Social Issues 12 Mar 2, 2013 11:47 AM
Who's NOT voting and why? LIVEFRMNYC Politics, Religion, Social Issues 79 Sep 14, 2012 04:55 AM
Absentee Voting! Huntn Politics, Religion, Social Issues 2 Sep 12, 2012 01:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC