Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
How can you tell which company manufactured the screen? Is it just judging by their traits (e.g. image retention means it's probably an LG) or is there a definitive way to find out the manufacturer?

ipad 3 display are made by samsung
ipad 4 display are made by lg

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yep I have it on my ipad 4 . Not a big issue though really. Doesn't affect my general use

shauny89

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
I can confirm I have this, too! I've tested iPads I've come across in stores, and virtually all of them have some degree of image retention.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
My ipad 4 does it but so does a family member's launch ipad 3, does that mean both are LG?

I thought at ipad 3 launch, all screens were samsung?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Hi all,

My iPad 4 seems to be having image retention issues. I'm wondering if this might be a common problem due to the LG display, so would anyone care to try this and confirm/deny? This is only for iPad 4 users.

Download the attached PNG (it's a screen from Letterpress, since that particular grey seems to highlight the problem particularly well) and load it into Photos on your iPad 4. Zoom in on it a bit to get rid of the text and make the whole screen grey.

Then, either…

1. Load the App Store and just leave it sitting on the front page for a couple of minutes without moving it at all, or...

2. Load Chrome and leave it on screen for a couple of minutes.

Then, flip back to the grey picture (get rid of Photo's top and bottom bars to make it fill the screen). Do you see retention of either the app icons from the App Store, or the URL bar and tab top from Chrome?

Post your results! :)

Cheers,

SB
How do you know you have an LG display?

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Apple typically uses multiple display suppliers (like Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc.) and they are picked and used at random depending on stock and availability. While you can try to guess which one you have by color temperature (based on previous posts and complaint patterns here), it's impossible to know for sure unless you take the iPad apart.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Tried two demo display iPad 4's at best buy. Both of them had IR

AND... The display iPad mini did as well.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Definitely nothing to sweat too much IMO.

Laptops I could see why it's more of a nuisance though

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I know you said iPad 4 only, but for what it's worth, I have the same issue on my iPad 2. I've begun noticing it more recently, typically it's the rectangle for the "self camera" in FaceTime or the Safari address/search bar.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was reading about image retention on the MacBook forum, and stumbled onto this issue happening with the iPad 4 as well. The rMBP I bought earlier this week didn't have any IM with the checkerboard test, but my ipad 4 does. I only left the checkerboard up for 5 minutes, and it was clearly visible on the less busy parts of my wallpaper. I usually have my brightness set at 50%, but turned it up all the way for the test. The IM was most noticeable at 50% brightness, and disappeared at higher levels. After 15 minutes, the IM went away. I bought this ipad less around 45 days ago, so I can still return it to Best Buy. It's never been an issue before, so...........:confused:

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Isn't image retention the reason computer screens used moving screensavers way back when? How is this any different, other than the short period of time needed to get a chessboard to briefly retain an image. My LCD TV switches to a bouncing screensaver after a few minutes, if it's set to Apple TV or DVD mode. Maybe that's just how LCD screens are. I'll have to google this when I get a chance. ;)
EDIT: a quick google search reveals that this is common among all LCD displays, and Samsung's website warns against leaving the same image on your TV screen if you use it as a monitor. Damaging the elements with image persistence (wiki's term), is possible, and that's where screen savers come into play. We need an app that has a cube bouncing around then screen after a few minutes of inactivity.....

Last edited:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
IPS displays - maybe, but not all IPS displays. I work on IPS displays since 12 years and there are very different in quality. The best example for this is Samsung screen on my retina MBP 15" (which is nearly perfect concerning retention) vs mass of LG screens having ghosting as their brand feature.

Same goes for the ipad screens. Ipad 3 (Samsung) has no retention, where ipad 4 with LG matrix does.

Please do not be blind for Apple marketing propaganda, - of course they will tell you, that that is normal and not a issue, especially, when they just lost Samsung as their supplier. What are you expect them to say? "Sorry, our every second ipad has an inferior display. so we hope, that you will get the right ones."?

It is not about praising the Samsung displays, but much more about the issues on the LG ones. IPS alone is no panacea.

Samsung is using PLS technology. While similar to IPS, it's definitely different. LG is the world's largest supplier of IPS panels...including displays from NEC and Eizo. IR is an issue with IPS technology...as it was with plasma. Using screen savers and/or changing up your screen once in a while will avoid any issues. I've seen IR on the iPad 2,3, mini and surprisingly, NOT on our 4(s). I've had one of our rMBPs replaced (LG) due to pretty significant IR...as well as the fact that we do a lot of work in after effects, photoshop and premier/FCP. Usually, these apps are used on the gray backgrounds which can make it annoying. That said....the colors and contrast on the LG panel was better than our replacement Samsung PLS display. Still rocks though

I made a thread for this almost as soon as the iPad 4 Wifi came out:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1487480/

LG displays are garbage.

LG is the largest IPS panel supplier in the world. They're definitely NOT garbage. HiDPI displays in this size are new. They're in their infancy. Gotta change a baby's diapers once in a while. IPS and other tech like Samsung's PLS will continue to evolve and get Better over time. Regardless, it's not 'burn in'. It's image retention. It goes away. Even with this drawback, IPS and PLS absolutely lay waste to TN LCD panels we've all grown up with (if you're older than 25;)). Sony and Japan pro display...as well as AU Optronics are smaller manufacturers of IPS...but I think Sharp is on to something with their IGZO build. Best of all worlds including efficiency

iPad 1, 2, 3, and 4 all use a mix of Sammy and LG displays. Apple hasn't left Samsung yet. They're still business partners, embroiled in court over intellectual property and patents. That's big business for ya...and Samsung has their own issues with AMOLED, as Sony has all but abandoned OLED manufacturing. It's, to my knowledge, impossible to tell the difference in display manufacturer in the iPads.

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.