Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgieJamison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Paris, France
Hey Everyone!

So i have a question that's really been bothering me... ugh...

I know how the general way to change an icon for an application is to go to the Get Info button on the Application file itself, then copy and past the new icon onto the old icon. Been there done that.
Also i even went into the Show Package button thing, went into resources, and changed the icon to new one, ending the file name in .icns :)
However, after these two attempts i still have complications.
The application, when not in use, bears the new icon, but when opened, switches back to the old, original icon. It does this for Skype, and an app called Pinger, which is this free texting app that i have... Is there a way to correct this? Because it's really annoying that it does this. Moreover, all the other apps that i have tried this method on have changed its icon successfully, excepting those two apps. Please help!

Thanks!
-Georgie

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Are you talking about icons in the Finder window (Applications Folder) or in the Dock, or both? If the former, just don't look at the window when the application is running. :apple:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Option 1: Are you making an alias of the application and changing that icon before dragging it to the Dock?

Option 2: Or are you changing the application's icon and then dragging that to the Dock?

Option 3: Or, are you doing either of the above, except not removing the icon that was already in the Dock and replacing it?

GeorgieJamison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Paris, France
ok when i drag the app bearing the new icon to the dock, it's fine.... but when i open it in the dock, it reverts to its original icon...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Rather cryptic, but I'll assume that's Option 2. If so, I'm at a loss, because I think that would be the proper way to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.