Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:00 AM   #1
keogh
macrumors member

Question Mac Mini late 2012 dual screen maybe?

Hey guys,

I have a Mac Mini late 2012, that I currently have running through Thunderbolt to my 27" Apple Thunderbolt display and all is dandy there.

Well I have a high end gaming PC next to my Mac that is hooked up to a 27" Dell U2713H screen. Well I plan on taking the gaming PC downsrtairs and shoving that in my 40" Samsung TV for future gaming stuff, therefore leaving my 27" Dell free and easy.

Now this doesn't really matter if its not possible, and I certainly wouldn't want to spend much money making it work as I haven't ever used dual screens to this point, and I certainly can continue that way. But seems a bit of a waste having the Dell screen just sitting there so worth a shot.

Is there anyway I can use this Dell as a second screen for my Mac Mini? The HDMI on the Mini is free, the Thunderbolt obviously isn't (as that is running to my ATD). I hear the ATD WON'T daisy chain to a MDP screen, and the HDMI on the Mini only supports a max of 1920x1080?

I won't want to run the Dell at anything less than 2560x1440, so is that possible through the HDMI port at all? Or is there a way to run it via the Thunderbolt port on the ATD? The connections on the back of the Dell are:

- 1 Dual Link DVI-D with HDCP
- 1 DisplayPort 1.2
- 1 Mini DisplayPort 1.2
- 1 HDMI
- 1 DisplayPort out

Anyone have any suggestions on getting this screen to function at 2560x1440 alongside my ATD? As I say, really don't matter if not, just worth a try

ta
keogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
iPhil
macrumors 68030

Location: A$$hat free location,and helping Mac bring back teh sexy-ness era back
Send a message via AIM to iPhil
You can try this setup: Plug the Dell into TB port which will run @2560*1600 res. max then plug Apple display on the output port of the dell ...
iPhil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3
keogh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhil View Post
You can try this setup: Plug the Dell into TB port which will run @2560*1600 res. max then plug Apple display on the output port of the dell ...
I'll give it a go, but don't the ATD only respond to Thunderbolt ports? The Ethernet, USB etc surely wouldn't work without thunderbolt connections?
keogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
iPhil
macrumors 68030

Location: A$$hat free location,and helping Mac bring back teh sexy-ness era back
Send a message via AIM to iPhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by keogh View Post
I'll give it a go, but don't the ATD only respond to Thunderbolt ports? The Ethernet, USB etc surely wouldn't work without thunderbolt connections?
If you power the USB input via the Dell then in-theory the ATD should be able use the build-in usb ports on the ATD etc..

mdp / tb port daisying
iPhil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:17 PM   #5
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by keogh View Post
Hey guys,

I have a Mac Mini late 2012, that I currently have running through Thunderbolt to my 27" Apple Thunderbolt display and all is dandy there.

Well I have a high end gaming PC next to my Mac that is hooked up to a 27" Dell U2713H screen. Well I plan on taking the gaming PC downsrtairs and shoving that in my 40" Samsung TV for future gaming stuff, therefore leaving my 27" Dell free and easy.

Now this doesn't really matter if its not possible, and I certainly wouldn't want to spend much money making it work as I haven't ever used dual screens to this point, and I certainly can continue that way. But seems a bit of a waste having the Dell screen just sitting there so worth a shot.

Is there anyway I can use this Dell as a second screen for my Mac Mini? The HDMI on the Mini is free, the Thunderbolt obviously isn't (as that is running to my ATD). I hear the ATD WON'T daisy chain to a MDP screen, and the HDMI on the Mini only supports a max of 1920x1080?

I won't want to run the Dell at anything less than 2560x1440, so is that possible through the HDMI port at all? Or is there a way to run it via the Thunderbolt port on the ATD? The connections on the back of the Dell are:

- 1 Dual Link DVI-D with HDCP
- 1 DisplayPort 1.2
- 1 Mini DisplayPort 1.2
- 1 HDMI
- 1 DisplayPort out

Anyone have any suggestions on getting this screen to function at 2560x1440 alongside my ATD? As I say, really don't matter if not, just worth a try

ta
All you need is another TB device between the Thunderbolt Display and the dell monitor. Something as simple as the Seagate desktop thunderbolt hard drive. Then you can run any display port monitor after the apple Thunderbolt Display.
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Tags
dual displays, hdmi, mac mini, mini displayport