Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spoiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Is it possible to mirror video from my iMac to Apple TV, but still have the sound coming from my iMac headphone port, and not my TV?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
My rMBP 10.8.3 does this now. In fact I was trying to figure out how to get the sound to the ATV. No sound regardless of how the sound out is configured (sound only plays on the rMBP). Or are you not talking about airplay display mirroring.

So its possible as my rMBP does this by default.

Spoiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Or are you not talking about airplay display mirroring.
I'm talking about this:

mG6yc57.png

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Yes, you can

Is it possible to mirror video from my iMac to Apple TV, but still have the sound coming from my iMac headphone port, and not my TV?

Of course, you can! Just select your sound output source as "internal sparkers" in the "system preferences-sound".

Enjoy!

----------

My rMBP 10.8.3 does this now. In fact I was trying to figure out how to get the sound to the ATV. No sound regardless of how the sound out is configured (sound only plays on the rMBP). Or are you not talking about airplay display mirroring.

I had same problem before, just restart your MBP. You can always select sound output source at the system preferences.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I had same problem before, just restart your MBP. You can always select sound output source at the system preferences.

Thanks, I didn't tinker too much as I typically use an iPad for airplay. I was using system preferences to select the audio out, but it wasn't working for me... never got around to restarting the rMBP.

Last edited:

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
For some reason I can ONLY mirror video from my 2011 iMac. Was actually going to call Apple about it.

elispv

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
yeah,i think so,You can always select sound output source at the system preferences.
liyP

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011

Yeah, I have this problem too, but it's the same on the 2011 13 air and 2012 rmbp. Both do not send the sound in mirroring mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.