Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eds2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Hi all,

I have seen this issue raised on a few forums but there as been no resolution so I'm looking for a different solution.

I bought a (fake) PS3 controller to use with my mac. When I try to connect the controller to my Mac, the Mac thinks the device is a keyboard and so requests a pincode to be entered on the keyboard - this is not possible on a gamepad.

Is there a bluetooth connections file on my Mac that can be edited to spoof the pin or a previous connection to the device?

Thanks.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi all,

I have seen this issue raised on a few forums but there as been no resolution so I'm looking for a different solution.

I bought a (fake) PS3 controller to use with my mac. When I try to connect the controller to my Mac, the Mac thinks the device is a keyboard and so requests a pincode to be entered on the keyboard - this is not possible on a gamepad.

Is there a bluetooth connections file on my Mac that can be edited to spoof the pin or a previous connection to the device?

Thanks.

I am pretty sure you can use it wired with a USB cable.

Although I don't think the sync issues are 100% down to the pad being a fake. I have synced fake/third party ones before.

Edwin

learningmore

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Generic PS3 Wireless Controllers do not pair

Edwin, thanks for your vote of confidence. I wish our generic controllers would work. Mine was $12 on Amazon: "HK PS3 Wireless Controller". The model # on the back is the same as Sony's controllers, only mine does not have "A1" at the end of the model number.

I posted an image here that shows what he is discussing- the device is actually recognized as a keyboard.

Here is a screenshot of the Bluetooth Advanced Pane:
2utp7hc.png

Additionally, the "Services:" area says none, where official PS3 Controllers show:
Services:
PNP Information
Wireless Controller

I even tried editing the Plist, copying plist keys from one bluetooth device unto the generic PS3 controller. As soon as the computer attempted to connect to the controller, it "corrected" my edits to the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file, changing it back to a keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.