Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I now have a i7 mini with a 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD and the 1TB HD in a non fusion configuration. So far I have only reinstalled the OS and programs. I want to have my iphoto libraries and itunes library on the 1TB drive, correct? If so, can you tell me how to do this so I can re-import them correctly? I don't want everything sitting on one drive like it used to be with my iMac.

Thanks!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Just place the files in folders on the HDD, and then point iTunes and iPhoto to the new location. If you start them up holding <alt>, I think that will force the apps to ask for a new library.

Alternatively, why not configure the SSD and HDD into a Fusion drive, and not have to worry about such things?

macmin

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I have a similar setup and keep photos, videos, music on the HDD. I just sym linked the itunes media folder, told itunes to keep media files organized. This way the catalog is on ssd for fast access and media files on HDD.

Like many here, still leery of fusion, particularly in such a small enclosure. With separate HDD/SSD rather than fusion, if the HDD dies, I plan to just leave it dead in the mini. I don't want to open it again as I moved it to the bottom bracket inside the mini. I will just restore my files from TimeMachine to a Thunderbolt ext. drive if that happens.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I now have a i7 mini with a 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD and the 1TB HD in a non fusion configuration. So far I have only reinstalled the OS and programs. I want to have my iphoto libraries and itunes library on the 1TB drive, correct? If so, can you tell me how to do this so I can re-import them correctly? I don't want everything sitting on one drive like it used to be with my iMac.

Thanks!

At least with iTunes, you can just go to the iTunes menu, then Preferences, then the Advanced tab, and specify a folder on your hard drive for your "media folder."

Maybe you can do something similar with iPhoto too?

You definitely want your songs on the hard drive. Being able to access them at 400 megabytes per second won't help you one bit. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.