Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitt321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Hello! I was recently given a PowerMac G5 under the circumstances that it was broken and needed some work.

Plugging the machine in was normal, the fans span up (not turbo jet mode like they do when it's kaput) the LED turned on and it made the start-up chime. However. No video.

I did all the standard stuff, reset the PRAM, reset the PMU. change the PRAM battery. and not much changed.

The machine did once spring into life in open firmware mode oddly, and a second time it came on with the question mark folder (as the hard drive is blank). but most of the time has no life at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve.

kitt321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Yeah I was thinking that. Unfortunately I've no other way of testing it. It seems to work sometimes by the looks of things. I wonder if a graphics card can be intermittently faulty?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Which G5 it is precisely? And graphics card? Does it boot in safe mode? If graphics card starts dying, safe mode usually works.

StUPoT

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
I have recently repaired a powermac g5 and after lots of intermittent faults like yours I discovered it was one of the cpu's giving me the trouble. If yours it a dual processor remove the cpu's and swap and change them around and see if a certain combination or even just running 1 CPU fixes your issue. May be good to track down the apple hardware test disc on google aswell as u will need to thermally calibrate the cpu's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.