Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.Virgin101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I have created a website through iWeb on my Mac that I would now like to publish it. I know that I need to purchase a domain name, which seems relatively easy but I have no idea how to actually find a server and publish the website.

Can anyone help??

This is a wedding website so it will only be up for about a year and it doesn't require too much space....I think....

Thanks in advance!!!

V

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
You need to pick a hosting service. There are cheap ones, like 1and1 or godaddy, and there are more expensive ones that have better service and customizability, whose names are escaping me. You'll have to go to one of those websites, sign up, and then follow their instructions on how to upload your iweb site.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I suggest you look into free hosting. You will need to send the files iweb created to your host using ftp. If the site will only be up a year, why buy a domain? You can create a tumblr, wordpress or blogspot site for free in your web browser and give the url to your guests.

Mac.Virgin101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I suggest you look into free hosting. You will need to send the files iweb created to your host using ftp. If the site will only be up a year, why buy a domain? You can create a tumblr, wordpress or blogspot site for free in your web browser and give the url to your guests.

Free hosting sounds ideal :) I know of wordpress and tumblr but I have no idea how to send the pages created on iweb to them. I realize now that I should have just started with a site like this and created my site there but I have spent quite a bit of time creating this site (several pages) in iweb and am now kind of attached to its aesthetic.

I did a quick google search about this and everything refers to a blog as if it is just a singular page that can be converted. I have several pages on the site so I'm not sure if it is still possible

Are there any tutorials on this or would you be able to post some more detailed instructions (which would be UBER appreciated)?

Thank you so much for your help already!!!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Free hosting sounds ideal :) I know of wordpress and tumblr but I have no idea how to send the pages created on iweb to them. I realize now that I should have just started with a site like this and created my site there but I have spent quite a bit of time creating this site (several pages) in iweb and am now kind of attached to its aesthetic.

I did a quick google search about this and everything refers to a blog as if it is just a singular page that can be converted. I have several pages on the site so I'm not sure if it is still possible

Are there any tutorials on this or would you be able to post some more detailed instructions (which would be UBER appreciated)?

Thank you so much for your help already!!!

First of all, I suggest you don't bother trying to send the stuff you created in iWeb unless you find a free provider that supports uploading files via ftp. This is an older method of producing web content that has largely been abandoned in favor of browser-based tools for site creation. I wondered why Apple unceremoniously dropped iWeb but once I'd tried Wordpress and Blogger, I knew browser-based tools were the future. For one thing, if your site is iweb based, where do you have to be to change it? In front of your Mac. If your site is browser created, you can make changes from (just about) any web browser.

You will be amazed how quickly you can create all those pages over again in Wordpress using nothing more than a web browser. Sign up for a free account and start tinkering. Don't pay them for any of their add-ons because you don't need any of them. You can create multiple pages and link between them right in Wordpress. If I had a site with as many as 50 pages, I would find it quicker to re-create them in wordpress than to dither around uploading and checking file permissions and configuring a web host. Also the url you get with a free wordpress account is good enough to allow you to avoid the cost of domain registration. Do you really need myamazingblog.com for over $10 a year plus administration and setup time when you could have myamazingblog.wordpress.com for free with almost no setup time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.