Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1
johnjey
macrumors regular

Mackeeper Heating my Haswell Air !!

Guys,

My 2013 Air i5/8GB RAM/512 SSD became HOT for the first time at the bottom - thanks to my installation of mackeeper and running internet security threat scan etc on it

Has anyone else experienced this disaster?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Why do you have that installed? It doesn't do much good and usually does more harm. I suggest removing it.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjey View Post
Guys,

My 2013 Air i5/8GB RAM/512 SSD became HOT for the first time at the bottom - thanks to my installation of mackeeper and running internet security threat scan etc on it

Has anyone else experienced this disaster?
I highly recommend you completely uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.
Five Mac maintenance myths
GGJstudios is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:42 PM   #4
johnjey
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I highly recommend you completely uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.
Five Mac maintenance myths
Interesting and oddly enough, i have seen your same lines repeatedly copy-pasted across multiple replies on anyone who has dared to install mackeeper on their mac's....i have uninstalled & deleted it forever from my mac though as i cannot have a heated AIR!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 09:52 AM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I personally consider MacKeeper to be malware that does nothing to your system and in fact harms it.
old-wiz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:09 AM   #6
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Interesting and oddly enough, i have seen your same lines repeatedly copy-pasted across multiple replies on anyone who has dared to install mackeeper on their mac's....i have uninstalled & deleted it forever from my mac though as i cannot have a heated AIR!
CGJstudios has been one of the most technically astute contributors to this forum (and others). You should heed his advice. And my advice is to purge your system of that malware which is obviously not doing your "Haswell" any good and sounds like harm.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
It would be daft to type the same answer every time slightly differently, possibly making mistakes, wouldn't it? And wasteful as well.

Fact is that installing this software is a bad idea, as you saw for yourself, and the answer is quite appropriate every single time.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 01:55 PM   #8
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Does the advice extend to OnyX or is that a worthy app? I have that installed on my MBA.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:41 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Does the advice extend to OnyX or is that a worthy app? I have that installed on my MBA.
OnyX has a much better reputation than the other apps usually mentioned, but it is still not needed to keep a Mac running well. It does make some functions more convenient, especially when performing specific tasks. You do not need to perform routine maintenance of any kind on OS X, and you don't need any third-party app to keep a Mac running well.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:21 AM   #10
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

Why do people install these applications in the first place?

I bought my Mac in 2011, it hasn't been rebuilt, I use it every single day and it is as fast now as it was back then - and I don't even run antivirus software, let alone MacKeeper!
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:30 AM   #11
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post

I bought my Mac in 2011, it hasn't been rebuilt, I use it every single day and it is as fast now as it was back then - and I don't even run antivirus software, let alone MacKeeper!
It's fast not despite the fact that you don't run antivirus software and MacKeeper, but because you don't.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:34 AM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
i believe part of it is a carryover from Windows mentality, where such apps were more useful and needed. One of my primary motivators to move from Windows to OS X was I was tired of spending so much time and system resources to maintain and protect the system. With OS X, I can focus on using the computer for what I need a computer for, and I don't have to run any maintenance, app removal or malware protection apps. It's a far more productive experience for me.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:27 AM   #13
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
GGJstudios has an arsenal of well researched tips saved on his computer... and yes, he posts them a lot. He does this because the same questions are asked a lot. It is a good service to the MR audience.

GGJstudios: Do you use Text Expander, Alfred, or some other snip-it program to manage your posts?

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Nameci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Nameci Send a message via Yahoo to Nameci Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
I think the built in stickies should do the job...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:08 AM   #15
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It comes up often enough that it doesn't make much sense to re-write the same information over and over.

While some problems may be unique and require an individual answer, the only answer to MacKeeper questions is don't keep it on your Mac.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:35 PM   #16
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameci View Post
I think the built in stickies should do the job...
… except for the fact that most people don't read the stickies… or the rules… or the FAQ, for that matter.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:25 PM   #17
johnjey
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
GGJstudios has an arsenal of well researched tips saved on his computer... and yes, he posts them a lot. He does this because the same questions are asked a lot. It is a good service to the MR audience.

GGJstudios: Do you use Text Expander, Alfred, or some other snip-it program to manage your posts?

/Jim
Well what i am going to write may not impress GGJStudios but here we go:

The reason for installing so many apps is : Genuine interest in productivity and making sure how i can complete tasks in the shortest, most efficient frame of time.

This list may serve as a Golden Ornaments to have for some

I have the following softwares installed on my Haswell Air: And my little 1 liner review on each

1. Onyx --> love it --> no issues
2. Xtrafinder--> may get rid of - no specific purpose so far
3. Totalfinder --> may get rid of - no specific purpose so far
4. Pathfinder --> good app
5. Little Snitch --> important and you know why
6. Hazel--> needs to configure more to use it
7. Alfred --> still trying to find if its better than quicksilver
8. Adium--> good app
9. BetterTouchTool --> have to configure
10. Adobe Suite --> lol good
11. CCleaner --> not sure if i am gonna use it
12. ClamXav--> time will tell
13. Calibre --> not sure
14. CoconutBattery --> for the heck of battery check
15. Divvy --> useless so far
16. Dragon Dictate --> very good, needs more time to be spent on it
17. Final Cut Pro --> lol
18. Flux --> nice
19. Evernote --> u know it
20. Geekbench --> occasional benchmarking
21. Launchbar --> looks good
22. MenuTabPro for Facebook --> A MUST for fb junkie
23. lock me now --> nice little app
24. Meteeorologist --> not sure
25. Permanent Eraser- --> not sure
26. MplayerX --> good one
27. Resolute Arena --> lol not sure what it does
28. Skitch --> ok ok
29. Sparrow --> NO, I am still LOOKING FOR THE BEST MAIL Software for mac
30. Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery --> not sure how it works
31. VMWare Fusion --> good for occasional win 7
32. Wunderlist --> disappointing
33. Quicksilver --> good one
34. Dropbox --> ok
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:40 PM   #18
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
I use Typinator on the Mac, but as I'm making more and more posts from my iPad Mini, I'm using the built-in functionality for custom keyboard shortcuts, which sync with my iPhone.
Quote:
The reason for installing so many apps is : Genuine interest in productivity and making sure how i can complete tasks in the shortest, most efficient frame of time.

11. CCleaner --> not sure if i am gonna use it

14. CoconutBattery --> for the heck of battery check

29. Sparrow --> NO, I am still LOOKING FOR THE BEST MAIL Software for mac

34. Dropbox --> ok
Like MacKeeper, CCleaner isn't necessary and can cause problems in the hands of some users.

Be aware that coconutBattery has had some issues with accuracy. I prefer iStat Pro or iStat Menus.

What are you looking for in a mail app that Apple Mail doesn't accomplish?

I find Dropbox to be extremely helpful. A few others you might want to look at are Copy.com and SkyDrive. I use CloudOn to edit Microsoft Office documents in Dropbox from my iOS devices.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 04:37 AM   #19
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
It's fast not despite the fact that you don't run antivirus software and MacKeeper, but because you don't.
My post was mainly aimed at the people who think that MacKeeper will speed up their Mac, but yes, a very valid point. OS X is not Windows - and people have to realise that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
i believe part of it is a carryover from Windows mentality, where such apps were more useful and needed. One of my primary motivators to move from Windows to OS X was I was tired of spending so much time and system resources to maintain and protect the system. With OS X, I can focus on using the computer for what I need a computer for, and I don't have to run any maintenance, app removal or malware protection apps. It's a far more productive experience for me.
Absolutely spot on.
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store