Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iPad 5 pick up IGZO?

• Yes, with improved battery life of about 50% (also thinner & lighter)

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Yes, but a minor battery life improvement, but focus on thinner & lighter profile

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • No, but minor improvements to battery life but focus on thinner & lighter profile

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No, same battery life but focus on thinner & lighter profile

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
There has been a lot of talk recently about the Full size ipad getting the mini treatment, smaller bezels, GF Ditto screen tech and all that. While more recently, there has been a small levels of rumour for the iPhone picking up a 4" IGZO, do you think the iPad 5 will pick up the IGZO screen tech? Thereby helping increase battery life by about 50%, while also allowing the screen to become brighter as well.

What are your takes?

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The new IGZO technology reduces energy requirements by 90% and its very thin and light

So when they switch to this new display tech it will automatically make the battery life better.

They will use some of that extra power to run the A7

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I would like to know if it does not use IGZO, can it still be made almost as thin as the Mini? The leaked iPad 5 rear part was almost as thin as the Mini. I wonder how thin it can be using the same display as iPad 4 plus the iPad Mini screen technology as seen in this weeks leaked digitizer part.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I would like to know if it does not use IGZO, can it still be made almost as thin as the Mini? The leaked iPad 5 rear part was almost as thin as the Mini. I wonder how thin it can be using the same display as iPad 4 plus the iPad Mini screen technology as seen in this weeks leaked digitizer part.

No I dont think so.

The reason they can get it so much thinner and lighter is because they are using the new IGZO technology.

Its the mini that might not get an IGZO, but we know the iPad 5th gen will.

Everyone is hoping the mini gets this new tech at the same time, or just after.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
No I dont think so.

The reason they can get it so much thinner and lighter is because they are using the new IGZO technology.

Its the mini that might not get an IGZO, but we know the iPad 5th gen will.

Everyone is hoping the mini gets this new tech at the same time, or just after.

We don't know for sure the iPad 5 will get IGZO.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012

Its the same thought that crossed my head..how are they able to get it to be thin as the MINI without using IGZO or similar. Its funny how none of the rumour mills have talked about it, despite leaks about screens, digitizer, etc. All of them keep screaming Thinner Thinnner, but nobody knows how..except that it uses GF 2

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
highly doubt it

in fact i bet money the mini doesnt get retina til gen 3

remember, apple always disappoints on product launches.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
The new IGZO technology reduces energy requirements by 90% and its very thin and light

So when they switch to this new display tech it will automatically make the battery life better.

They will use some of that extra power to run the A7

90% isn't a standard reduction, and there are many possible exclusions in the energy saving rating for IGZO. At best it can reduce upto 90% is Sharp's claim under certain conditions. I wouldn't take that claim at full value. Even so, a 50% reduction in battery consumption from the screen would be amazing. That said, the battery capacity is going to be reduced, more powerful specs are going to make its entry, so the full 50% savings won't exactly translate in real life. Realistically, you can hope for 2-3 hour jump on the current capacity if they do end up using IGZO, whch we can't even take for granted at the moment.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Actually if you follow the logical deductions the only way they can fit the new iPad into the Case we have seen leaked photo's of is with the new IGZO technology.

Not necessarily, if they are going in for GF ditto over the older tech, they shld b able to reduce the thickness by at least 0.2-0.3 inches which is around 0.6mm to 0.7mm, if not more.

Also they have unused space from moving into the lightning connector in the ipad 4 model. Also if rumours are to be believed, the GF ditto should help make the screen slightly more sensitive and transparent, adding more reason to why they may drop one LED bar from the device. The battery capacity is also likely to be reduced, taking with it a good portion of the bulk. With modifications to the internal design, and with many of chip using smaller more efficient designs (A7, Series 6 Graphics, etc.), I think the claimed thinner profile is possible without IGZO.

With IGZO it can be even more thinner, much more brighter and a vast improvement on battery consumption.

Let's see how it goes.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
That's link should tell you that IGZO is not really required to make it all that thin.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/12/wsj-says-what-we-all-knew-ipad-5-will-look-like-a-big-mini/

How can they use Mini tech for the iPad 5 ?

The mini does not have retina but the iPad will.

It does not make sense unless they plan on putting out a new cheaper version with a non retina display and stop selling the iPad 2.

Like the Non retina iPad 5 will use the GF2 touch panel technology.

And the upscale Retina iPad5 will have the new IGZO screens.

Last edited:

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
How can they use Mini tech for the iPad 5 ?

The mini does not have retina but the iPad will.

It does not make sense unless they plan on putting out a new cheaper version with a non retina display and stop selling the iPad 2.

Like the Non retina iPad 5 will use the GF2 touch panel technology.

And the upscale Retina iPad5 will have the new IGZO screens.

They are scaling the display tech for the iPad 5. Agreed Retina display would require modifications, but what they are engaging is using a film-based touch panel, which should reduce the layers of glass. The other changes similar to ipad mini can be incorporated. Using retina display, bigger battery and more advanced tech is the reason why ipad 5 will measure around 7.5-8.0mm, compared to the 7.2mm of the mini.

Adding to that, that is also the reason why there is so much back & fro rumours about the mini going retina, because Apple would have been contemplating ( if not already decided as production is looming) how to fit the retina without increasing the 7.2mm (which is alot more difficult).

The more I am reading and understanding things across forums and rumours, the more its becoming clear that we won't be seeing the same kind of IGZO screens we wanted, being introduced in the ipad 5, although Sharp will be manufacturing screens for the device.

There is no possible way they are going to introduce and ipad 5 without retina, it doesnt make business sense, and even production wise, it will be unnecessary.

Unfortunately or fortunately, ipad 5 is picking up the GF2 tech. whether screens will incorporate high-end energy saving variant of IGZO is the only doubt, which I guess is becoming clear now. No!

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Hrm i been thinking, maybe they are going to use GF2 touch panel technology for the IGZO screens ?

Its like a thin film they put over the display.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Hrm i been thinking, maybe they are going to use GF2 touch panel technology for the IGZO screens ?

Its like a thin film they put over the display.

The best clue to whether or not they will actually incorporate it, is to watch out for the iPhone launch on Sept 10. If they talk about a good amount of improvement in battery life, better colour reproduction, then u can pretty much say, it mostly might have gotten IGZO. In that case, the full-size iPad is going to get it.

As far as I know most of the tech the iphone gets, the full size ipad will pick up, except perhaps the camera. The processor will of course b the X variant of the iphone 5S.

The battery life on the ipad is going to be a good deal breaker, especially since MBA's have 11 and 13 hours of battery life. To achieve that kind of battery life, the screen's battery consumption has to come down by at least 25-30%, and with the faster and more efficient chips, you maybe able to extract another 5-10% improvment. Combined it should help make it about 30-40% more efficient, which can help achieve a battery life of around 13-14hours.

mkimid

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
USA
Igzo

They can reduce the power consumption due to
(1) higher power efficiency of screen
(2) reduce the power consumption of back light

It will
(1) reduce the battery capacity (size)

It will
(1) reduce the weight, and thickness

in the new iPad, I feel, Apple will use same IPS LCD panel, because of IGZO is only one supply yet, such as Sharp.

(1) reduce the power consumption using higher efficienty back light
(2) reduce the power consumption of AP using variable clock speed with 28nm process.
(3) increase the energy using 3.85V cell instead of 3.7V

It will
(1) reduce the battery capacity (size)

It will
(1) reduce the weight, and thickness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.