Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi guys,

I just took my new Air Mid-2013 from the box and I was trying to do a clean install to save those 8Gb of extra stuff that I don't really need:

- printer drivers
- garage band
- iDVD
- etc etc etc

But I'm not really getting any customise option for this! What am I doing wrong?

There's a guide here on the forum but it doesn't work for me.

I formatted the SSD with Disk Utility and then I went for the Install OS X Mountain Lion but I have no place where I can select what I actually want to install or not.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
There are no options.

If you don't want that stuff you have to go in and manually delete it yourself.

IDVD and a few things have to be installed from the App store after instal so when you are done reinstalling you will find some things are no longer on your machine.

Last edited:

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
There are no options.

If you don't want that stuff you have to go in and manually delete it yourself.

IDVD and a few things have to be installed from the App store after instal so when you are done reinstalling you will find some things are no longer on your machine.

So the guide here on the forum does not apply to ML anymore?

Someone should update it then...

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I'm not sure what guide you are referring to.

EDIT: I found what you are referring to, that guide seems to be based on 10.5/6

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
Dude, just enjoy your Mac. All that trouble for 8GB is not worth it. Take the time you spend doing this and pay for your time by buying an SD memory card or something. You'll get more storage this way, I promise.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Printer drivers are downloaded automatically when needed. They haven't been included for a couple of revisions now (10.7, I think)

Garage Band is installed, by default, but not the loops. Delete garage band if you want to save the space.

IDVD, I don't think is even included anymore. On my Work 2012 MBP, I don't think it's installed by default, and I don't think the Air ships with it either.

As far as the base OS, I'm pretty sure that localization strings are not included anymore either. It also only ships with the Alex voice installed.

Disk mapping software (such as Daisy Disk) will give you a good indication of what files/directories are taking up space. There are also free alternatives too. Just verify stuff before you delete (google it if you don't know what it is). Unix-based OSes, like Mac OS X, will let you erase everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.