Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2014, 04:03 PM   #251
rrl
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
What someone buys, no matter the cost, isn't any of your business. No one judges what you buy with your money, you shouldn't either.
This isn't true. You should think about this some more.
rrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:05 PM   #252
UpperQuadrant
macrumors member

Quote:
What someone buys, no matter the cost, isn't any of your business. No one judges what you buy with your money, you shouldn't either.
Lots of people poke fun at me for spending more money on things they wouldn't. I don't care what others say.

Some things people buy are outrageous, even by anyone's standards.

We can joke around all day long.

Heck, there's a company that makes and sells speaker cables for a stereo at $53K a pair. Is it outrageously priced? Of course it is, would I buy them? Not right now I wouldn't because I simply don't have the budget for that high priced stereo system to warrant spending that much on cables, but if i had the money to throw around, I probably would because I'm into high end stereo equipment and know why these cables are so expensive and at least can appreciate the difference in sound quality if connected to a proper system. But to the majority of the world population, they would think I would crazy for buying them and for the company selling them. And? it's fun to joke around because it you think about it, that's almost the price of a nice car for a pair of speaker cables....

What's your problem? People like joking around at other people's purchases.

But $5 Million for a Gold toilet? And does their #$%^ come out gift wrapped too?

I think it's funny.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMac View Post
Apple is never first. Just first to get it right.
No, Apple is sometimes first, but not all of the time.

They were first to ship a consumer computer with a GUI/mouse, they weren't the first company to sell a computer with them, but it was the first personal computer with them for mass consumption.

They have had plenty of firsts in their lifespan as a company, so the statement "Apple is never first" is not true. But they are many times the first to get things right or at least commercially successful to warrant imitators.
UpperQuadrant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:39 PM   #253
robostig
macrumors member

He's probably right, but then, there's also a chance that apple will find its next visionary. I don't buy Tim cook as a tech visionary, just as a guy that only cares about the bottom line.

The apple watch was not innovative, it was incremental. Same for the iPhone 6. I will still pre order the 6+, only because I've accepted that the incremental changes are good enough for me.
robostig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:49 PM   #254
Eric E. Schmidt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGregory View Post
What's your point? If you are on this earth long enough you're going to have ups and downs too.
Quote:
long pause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertus View Post
Apparently, you don't understand humor. Too bad.
haha, monty python in practice. on a forum!
Eric E. Schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:32 PM   #255
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Ego is all it takes to turn rich people into crazy worthless people doing nutty things for fun.
Find me one billionaire who doesn't have an ego or at least some arrogance issues...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperQuadrant View Post
Until you have the kind of money these people have, you can only guess what you would do with that kind of money. You certainly wouldn't go around buying cheap crap trying to save a buck, that's for sure.
Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA begs to differ:

http://curbed.com/archives/2013/03/2...ar-kamprad.php

Quote:
Arriving at a gala to receive a Businessman Of The Year Award he was at first refused entry because he had come on the bus.
Quote:
Instead of dining at fine restaurants when he's traveling, Kamprad will drop into a nearby Ikea and enjoy a $4 plate of Swedish meatballs, lingonberry jam, and mashed potatoes. Also: he takes home the salt and pepper packets.
Quote:
Kamprad is rich enough to own an airline...but he flies economy on budget airlines.
Late 2011 13" Macbook Pro, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM  Mid 2013 13" Macbook Air, 120GB SSD, 4GB RAM  Late 2012 Mac Mini, i7, 240GB SSD, 8GB RAM  4th Gen WiFi iPad 16GB  Nexus 7 (2012) 16GB  Nexus 5 16GB
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:52 AM   #256
racer1441
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
Find me one billionaire who doesn't have an ego or at least some arrogance issues...

----------

Money has nothing to do with it. That's the personality trait that separates the hunters from the sheep. It's not about the money, it's about being able to do what you need to do to win.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperQuadrant View Post
What's your problem? People like joking around at other people's purchases.

----------

Apparently, I spend my time with a higher class of people than you do.
racer1441 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:25 AM   #257
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Money has nothing to do with it. That's the personality trait that separates the hunters from the sheep. It's not about the money, it's about being able to do what you need to do to win.
if you read what I was quoting you'll see I was saying the same thing.
Late 2011 13" Macbook Pro, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM  Mid 2013 13" Macbook Air, 120GB SSD, 4GB RAM  Late 2012 Mac Mini, i7, 240GB SSD, 8GB RAM  4th Gen WiFi iPad 16GB  Nexus 7 (2012) 16GB  Nexus 5 16GB
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:11 PM   #258
MRrainer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post

----------

Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA begs to differ:

http://curbed.com/archives/2013/03/2...ar-kamprad.php
Haha. While he was living in Switzerland (has now returned home AFAIK) he was also known to pop into the local grocery stores when they had special deals for staples like sugar or pasta and stock up on them.
He did live in a low-tax city where mostly other wealthy people live - so his house didn't stick out at all (unlike the mansions of Larry E....)
MRrainer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:22 PM   #259
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRrainer View Post
Haha. While he was living in Switzerland (has now returned home AFAIK) he was also known to pop into the local grocery stores when they had special deals for staples like sugar or pasta and stock up on them.
He did live in a low-tax city where mostly other wealthy people live - so his house didn't stick out at all (unlike the mansions of Larry E....)
Yep, pretty sure he gets the crown for worlds biggest tight arse.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:47 AM   #260
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Not so much. As with so many people who have made huge fortunes, Ellison assumes that he's right about everything and that everyone is entitled to his opinion.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion