Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:43 AM   #1
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Retina display still special?

Or have you all had time to adjust? At first I thought it was amazing, but now I'm too used to it and so don't get the same feeling of excitement when I use it anymore. (Both the iPad and iPhone) what about you guys?
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)

Last edited by shenfrey; Feb 9, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:49 AM   #2
ManicMarc
macrumors regular

Yes I guess it's a bit like colour TV in that respect. I'm too young to remember the days before it, but I can imagine it was a big deal when it first came out. High resolution is the same I guess.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Used to it but should be the standard now. When I look at an ipad 2 now, it looks like a fuzzy Atari game.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
Or have you all had time to adjust? At first I thought it was amazing, but now I'm too used to it and so don't get the same feeling of excitement when I use it anymore. (Both the iPad and iPhone) what about you guys?
Well, in 2010 the iPad was like "wow, such a big touchscreen" and now, for many people, it is "just another device". Devices can't stay special forever... at some point you'll get used to them
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
JTyler82
macrumors regular

Still special to me. Came from an ipad 2, then got a mini, decided I wanted to try retina, now I can't imagine owning an ipad without retina. Everything's just so clear
JTyler82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:07 PM   #6
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I think you are not appreciating what you have because you have not went back and used a non-retina display for an extended period of time.
brand is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
bonskovsky
Banned

The retina display heyday is over. Retina has lost market value. First and foremost because the iPhone 5 cannot even play 1080p video.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:17 PM   #8
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
The retina display heyday is over. Retina has lost market value. First and foremost because the iPhone 5 cannot even play 1080p video.
Yes, it can and so can the iPad mini. Does it play at full res? No, but both of those devices can record and playback 1080p video.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Retina is nice - im just to cheap to actually buy it. Retina iPad and rMBP dont interest me - not because of the screen. I love the screen - there are other cons that keep me from them.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Shadyriley
macrumors 6502

I had the iPad 3 and exchanged it for a mini that I used for 28 days, just exchanged the mini for an iPad 4 and I can say retina is definitely special.
Shadyriley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:37 PM   #11
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Yes, it can and so can the iPad mini. Does it play at full res? No, but both of those devices can record and playback 1080p video.
You might as well bring in your old TV from the 80s.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:52 PM   #12
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
You might as well bring in your old TV from the 80s.
Thats not even a comparison. Try again.
brand is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:22 PM   #13
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

1080p on a 4"- 5" device? Lol
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:22 PM   #14
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I think you're feelings are normal. It's like the kids who won't play with their toys after the "newness" wears off! We are all like that to some extent. You can buy a brand new car and feel thrilled when driving it - but when the new car smell wears off....well it kind of loses it luster...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMarc View Post
Yes I guess it's a bit like colour TV in that respect. I'm too young to remember the days before it, but I can imagine it was a big deal when it first came out. High resolution is the same I guess.
You got that right! My friend was the first in the neighborhood to get a color TV in 1964. Black & White was the norm as was 3 channels plus one UHF. I remember going over to his house and watching Disney in color. Good times.
baypharm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:28 PM   #15
appleguy123
macrumors 603

It's special, but I'm used to it. No way I'm ever buying another electronic device without a retina display. Apple definitely has me hooked on this technology.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:09 PM   #16
adnoh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
1. Sell you iPad
2. Buy an ipad mini
3. Use for 1 month
4. Sell your ipad mini
5. Buy retina ipad
6. BE AMAZED AT RETINA SCREEN!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:56 AM   #17
pr0230
macrumors member

Newby to retina display

I just bought an IPod Touch 5... and boy the screen is magnificent. For most video you dont get the full effect, but if you watch an HD video from youtube, geese, its like 3d. I watch it mostly in bed, dark room. If you close one eye, it seems like you can walk right into the screen. I have a video from PBS- Nova. Tales from the hive (bees). The picture is amazing.

I just purchased a new IPAD... will let you know if just as amazing.

BTW - I had a 3gen touch and the upgrade for the video is worth the purchase.
I also have a 55" TV with 240mhz refresh rate... If Im watching a youtube video , sometimes (at night) I prefer to watch it on the ipod touch...
pr0230 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:29 AM   #18
NuttBagg
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0230 View Post
I just bought an IPod Touch 5... and boy the screen is magnificent. For most video you dont get the full effect, but if you watch an HD video from youtube, geese, its like 3d. I watch it mostly in bed, dark room. If you close one eye, it seems like you can walk right into the screen. I have a video from PBS- Nova. Tales from the hive (bees). The picture is amazing.

I just purchased a new IPAD... will let you know if just as amazing.

BTW - I had a 3gen touch and the upgrade for the video is worth the purchase.
I also have a 55" TV with 240mhz refresh rate... If Im watching a youtube video , sometimes (at night) I prefer to watch it on the ipod touch...
That may be due to the fact your TV has a 240mhz refresh rate. Or it could be the screen calibration difference, because unless your sitting to close to the TV, you shouldn't be able to see the pixels. 120/240mhz make TVs look terrible IMO. The "soap opera" effect makes everything look unnatural.

In the end it's the screens calibration, I bet. Try turning that high refresh rate down to see how it looks. This isn't meant to offend, either. Just wondering why you would ever choose to watch something on theiPod touch
over the TV. #PlasmaFanboyRant

And to get back on topic, I still love looking at Retina!
NuttBagg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad