Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Now I know this is going to start some SH IT.... But Please hear me out...

Lets say money is not a problem...just eliminate that from the discussion...

RIght now if you go to the apple.com site.... You could buy a 5S... With T-Mobile... Since it is unlocked and NO Contract.... You dont need to pay a monthly plan.... VOILA... an IPOD TOUCH 5S....

A7 chip ---- wooooo hoooo
Finger print ID - geeesss maaa geesssee
GOLD case - yeahhhhhh bbbaaabbbbyyy!!!

And also - I use the app talk-a-tone - with google voice... Works great BTW---
SO I could also use the IPODTOUCH 5S As a .... wait a minute- PHONE...

Holy CRAP - batman - lets get to the bat cave!!!!

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Now I know this is going to start some SH IT.... But Please hear me out...

Lets say money is not a problem...just eliminate that from the discussion...

RIght now if you go to the apple.com site.... You could buy a 5S... With T-Mobile... Since it is unlocked and NO Contract.... You dont need to pay a monthly plan.... VOILA... an IPOD TOUCH 5S....

A7 chip ---- wooooo hoooo
Finger print ID - geeesss maaa geesssee
GOLD case - yeahhhhhh bbbaaabbbbyyy!!!

And also - I use the app talk-a-tone - with google voice... Works great BTW---
SO I could also use the IPODTOUCH 5S As a .... wait a minute- PHONE...

Holy CRAP - batman - lets get to the bat cave!!!!

Or just put a sim card in it and use it as an iPhone 5S.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Or just put a sim card in it and use it as an iPhone 5S.

Yes you could do that... But I also do NOT want to purchase a PLAN and pay 60-100 dollars a month....

Right now I have an iPod touch 5... works JUST LIKE an iphone at home or where I can get wifi- WITHOUT a PLAN or the cost....

PS

CAPS for emphasis... not shouting..

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I don't get it. You want to buy a $650 phone, but you don't want to pay for a phone plan... At least an iPad mini would be more practical...

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Clearly this fellow would like to pay an additional $300-400 for a faster processor, graphics chip, fingerprint reader, better cameras (front & back) and different design. This is under the assumption that it will never be used as a true SIM-powered cellphone. Probably not worth it in my opinion, but to each their own! :rolleyes:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yes you could do that... But I also do NOT want to purchase a PLAN and pay 60-100 dollars a month....

Right now I have an iPod touch 5... works JUST LIKE an iphone at home or where I can get wifi- WITHOUT a PLAN or the cost....

PS

T-Mobile has a $30/month plan with unlimited data, but few voice minutes.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I do not see any desire to get the Iphone 5S. Same screen size, its just not enough of an upgrade given its crazy crazy expensive price.

I thought i would replace my Iphone 4 with a 5C but when the price came out make me realize how did i forget that Cook is just a marketer not a visionary inventor. There should of course never be a discussion over low price Iphone.

At the moment. if you own a 4/4s. I think Ipod touch 5 is a perfect sidekick device. No need to spend stupid sum for just better camera or a "finger print scan" Nonsense. No game is running on 64bit at the moment or in near future anyway.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I do not see any desire to get the Iphone 5S. Same screen size, its just not enough of an upgrade given its crazy crazy expensive price.

Um... It's the same "crazy crazy" price the iPhone has always been... This is no more or less of an upgrade than any previous iPhone. The only "truly revolutionary" upgrade was the 3GS -> 4. Every other upgrade has been a small upgrade.

I thought i would replace my Iphone 4 with a 5C but when the price came out make me realize how did i forget that Cook is just a marketer not a visionary inventor. There should of course never be a discussion over low price Iphone.

Again, it's the same that Apple has done since the 3GS came out - take last year's model and drop it by $100. They just slapped last year's model in a cheaper-to-produce chassis at the same time, and made a bigger deal about it.

Personally, I would have preferred to see the 5C replace the 4S in the lineup - even if it meant using 4S specs (with the taller screen resolution of the 5, of course.) That would have been good to get rid of the last dock-connector phone, and had an "all 5" lineup. 5C at the cheap end, 5 in the middle, 5S at the high end. But I'm guessing that the 5's chassis still remained too expensive to reasonably drop its price.

At the moment. if you own a 4/4s. I think Ipod touch 5 is a perfect sidekick device. No need to spend stupid sum for just better camera or a "finger print scan" Nonsense. No game is running on 64bit at the moment or in near future anyway.

iPod touch 5 is just iPhone 4S with the screen of the iPhone 5... You want "stupid sum", spending $229 (without camera) or $299 (with) for something to go with your iPhone, that if you have a 4S isn't actually an upgrade, is really silly.

If you have committed to paying a cell phone plan, and are fine with re-committing to another 2-year contract, the iPhone 5C or 5S makes much more sense. You get a better CPU and graphics, the bigger screen, and more. For either $99 or $199. Still cheaper than even the lowest-end iPod touch.

Why buy something that is only a little better (or the same,) and carry two devices, when you can spend less and carry only one, better, device? (Note: there is no reason to upgrade from a 5 to a 5C, of course.)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Um... It's the same "crazy crazy" price the iPhone has always been... This is no more or less of an upgrade than any previous iPhone. The only "truly revolutionary" upgrade was the 3GS -> 4. Every other upgrade has been a small upgrade.

Again, it's the same that Apple has done since the 3GS came out - take last year's model and drop it by $100. They just slapped last year's model in a cheaper-to-produce chassis at the same time, and made a bigger deal about it.

Personally, I would have preferred to see the 5C replace the 4S in the lineup - even if it meant using 4S specs (with the taller screen resolution of the 5, of course.) That would have been good to get rid of the last dock-connector phone, and had an "all 5" lineup. 5C at the cheap end, 5 in the middle, 5S at the high end. But I'm guessing that the 5's chassis still remained too expensive to reasonably drop its price.

iPod touch 5 is just iPhone 4S with the screen of the iPhone 5... You want "stupid sum", spending $229 (without camera) or $299 (with) for something to go with your iPhone, that if you have a 4S isn't actually an upgrade, is really silly.

If you have committed to paying a cell phone plan, and are fine with re-committing to another 2-year contract, the iPhone 5C or 5S makes much more sense. You get a better CPU and graphics, the bigger screen, and more. For either $99 or $199. Still cheaper than even the lowest-end iPod touch.

Why buy something that is only a little better (or the same,) and carry two devices, when you can spend less and carry only one, better, device? (Note: there is no reason to upgrade from a 5 to a 5C, of course.)

Agree with you regarding the Iphone 5C replacing Iphone 4s with 4s spec. 3.5 screen is getting smaller and smaller mentally. Slap 4 inch on an A5 chip would make a great device. However, you did mention Ipod touch is already an Iphone 4s with 4 inch screen and no phone capability at too expensive USD 299. Then it sound a little contradicting.

Apple still has to watch over their Ipod touch line as well so If they did put iphone 5C at that price, They can prepare to discontinue their Ipod line for good. Apple has to make you choose. Big screen, no phone or small screen, yes phone. Internal are almost identical. Its a pain.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Agree with you regarding the Iphone 5C replacing Iphone 4s with 4s spec. 3.5 screen is getting smaller and smaller mentally. Slap 4 inch on an A5 chip would make a great device. However, you did mention Ipod touch is already an Iphone 4s with 4 inch screen and no phone capability at too expensive USD 299. Then it sound a little contradicting.

Apple still has to watch over their Ipod touch line as well so If they did put iphone 5C at that price, They can prepare to discontinue their Ipod line for good. Apple has to make you choose. Big screen, no phone or small screen, yes phone. Internal are almost identical. Its a pain.

No, I was saying it would have been nice if Apple had made the 5C replace the 4S rather than the 5.

gmm421

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011

PS

Yep, you have stumbled across the secret that many people, including some popular tech gurus, seem to disregard because they can afford the cost of a data plan. I have no beef with how people choose to spend their money. I could afford it, but I choose not to. Carry a cheap flip phone with your iPod touch when you need to talk outside of wifi range.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Weird. You would buy a 5s, not put a SIM in it, just use it like an iPod, which you already have, while carrying around another separate phone ( I assume you have some kind of cell phone). Totally bizarre and costly, which contradicts your intention to save money by not having a phone plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.