Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I was playing around with the Nexus 7 today, seemed cool albeit a little confusing since I have not owned any android devices. I never had an iPad before, only an iPod Touch and iPhone 3G, 4, and 5. In the end what is the overall satisfaction with the nexus 7? It would save me the trouble of converting all my videos but I feel like there's something about iOS that will make me wish I had an iPad instead, but then I can't do all the same cool stuff with it. Can anyone offer positive insight?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Nexus 7 is just a cheap but powerful Android tablet that everyone got excited about when it first came out.

I think iOS suits you better, from what you told us. For me, the iPad mini is much more usable than the Nexus 7, largely because of the aspect ratio. Also, there are many iPad-exclusive apps out there.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Alright so I can put apps and some movies/tv shows on here. I'll get the 16gb one since money isn't abundant right now until January. I'll just have to make do lol

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Since you are already comfortable win iOS I think you will regret getting the N7. The opposite would be true if you we're already an Android user.

I've always had iPod touches, but when it came time to get my first tablet I didn't want to spend a bunch of money, so I got a Nook Color (this was over a year ago.) I rooted the Nook so that it was a more fully functioning Android tablet and then preceded to hardly ever use the thing. It just seemed clunky and slow and since I had to zoom in on everything I read I always reached for my iPod touch instead since it was just faster. I don't like to pay for apps and the free apps I found on Android were total garbage compared to the ones I have for free from IOS. I ended up losing the Nook somewhere and barely caring.

By comparison I use this mini all day long (I used the Nook maybe once a week.) That being said, my friend is an Android fan and got a Mini for cheap for her daughter. She (the friend) totally hates the mini because she does not think it is customizable. She is going to sell it and get her daughter an Android tablet.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I had the Nexus 7 when it came out, especially due to the low price point. It was good while I had it, but small stutters and dropped framerates were there which annoyed me. Average user wouldn't notice it, but coming from an amazing user experience on an iPad 3... it was meh. At the time Apple didn't have a more portable tablet for me to bring on the subway so I went for the Android device.

When the iPad Mini was announced, I was going to get it right away, but heard of the lower resolution... so kept the Nexus 7 for a while. When I had the change to visit an Apple store and try out the iPad Mini for myself... wow, what a difference. Aluminium and glass construction feels so much more solid and 'premium' than the rubber/plastic of the Nexus 7. Wanted to get it right away, but it was sold out! Glad I made the calls every morning to grab one though... Android, while MUCH more improved than it's predecessors still didn't have the 'smoothness' that I love about iOS so much.

A few things to note that more personal reasons.
The whole 'freedom' aspect of Android where you can do anything on it. I didn't really find Android that much different than iOS. Widgets were cool and flashy at first, but as the weeks went by, I didn't use them at all. Maybe the only useful one was the weather, but I have to go in the weather app to check detailed weather anyways... I tried a bunch of ROM's and the only one I found decent was cyanogenmod, but eventually went back to vanilla jelly bean. Android had it's 'cool' factor for sure since I was with iOS for so long, but it's day-to-day usage was far less intuitive than iOS in my experience. One thing I absolutely hated about Android was it's books app. Google's book app is the only decent one for Android and it doesn't even allow you to use your own ePubs. I had to turn to a 3rd party reader - Aldiko which just sucked. Text looks great, but when I flipped more than 1 page at a time, it'd turn 3-4 pages at a time.

Oh and a thing to note about videos on the iPad. I have a server/nas that holds all my ripped videos and I use an app called 'Air Video' it trancodes the video files on the fly so every format is playable. At least all my video files haven't had a problem (MP4, MKV, AC3 audio). Anything that I don't want to convert, I use 'It's Playing' which works for everything else except AC3 audio. It used to work, but apparently they ran into some licensing problems.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I was playing around with the Nexus 7 today, seemed cool albeit a little confusing since I have not owned any android devices. I never had an iPad before, only an iPod Touch and iPhone 3G, 4, and 5. In the end what is the overall satisfaction with the nexus 7? It would save me the trouble of converting all my videos but I feel like there's something about iOS that will make me wish I had an iPad instead, but then I can't do all the same cool stuff with it. Can anyone offer positive insight?

If you have to ask the answer is no.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I asked for positive insight, not a useless opinion.

There is not much insight needed. If you dont absolutely want it, its is my opinion that you shouldnt buy it. How many times have people bought stuff this way? They end up returning it or they stop using it after the return period has ended. Now they are stuck with something they dont use.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
In your case I think you should get the Mini. It seems like the very best decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.