Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Good luck to you.

BTW this was the right answer:

Well, went to the Apple Store, talk to one of the geniuses, and he said that the sound was normal, and that it comes from one of the lenses from the camera. So I just kept my phone.

If everything else about your phone is great, I honestly wouldn't bother returning it. I've been there and had that headache. Your chances of getting one that doesn't have that noise are very slim. They will all do it, just some are louder than others.

the camera changed between the 4 and 4s so the iPhone 4 and prevous iphones don't do it as much. My old 4s (now my wifes) did it but not as loud as my 5. After a year and some change the camera is fine.

Ultimately, nobody can make up your mind for you but I highly encourage you to keep what you've got or you may be signing up for an extra headache/runaround all for nothing.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
So quick update. Went to another Apple store, made an appointment. Talked to one of the "genuises", he looked at my phone, and he told me the same thing. I asked him if I could try another phone and he took me to the iPhone display to show me that all of them had this same noise. Well, I shook some of them, and even though some did make a very small rattle sound, they were not as loud as mine. So I asked him if he could bring me another phone to test it out. So he did. Except, I don't think he brought me a brand new phone. First of all, the phone he brought me was in one of those white boxes, and I heard that those white boxes contains defective products. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways. So I took it out of the box, and shoock it, and guess what. The battery was loose inside the phone. Made a huge thumping sound when I shook it. I told him the battery was loose, and he said no, it was probably something else. And the whole time I'm thinking, this guy is obviously trying to fool me. I think I've seen enough videos on YouTube to know its the battery.

Well, I'm still not completely satisfied with my new iPhone. Besides the noise, it works great, but the rattle makes it sound like a cheap phone. At this point I don't know if I should try another store or just live with it.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
So quick update. Went to another Apple store, made an appointment. Talked to one of the "genuises", he looked at my phone, and he told me the same thing. I asked him if I could try another phone and he took me to the iPhone display to show me that all of them had this same noise. Well, I shook some of them, and even though some did make a very small rattle sound, they were not as loud as mine. So I asked him if he could bring me another phone to test it out. So he did. Except, I don't think he brought me a brand new phone. First of all, the phone he brought me was in one of those white boxes, and I heard that those white boxes contains defective products. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways. So I took it out of the box, and shoock it, and guess what. The battery was loose inside the phone. Made a huge thumping sound when I shook it. I told him the battery was loose, and he said no, it was probably something else. And the whole time I'm thinking, this guy is obviously trying to fool me. I think I've seen enough videos on YouTube to know its the battery.

Well, I'm still not completely satisfied with my new iPhone. Besides the noise, it works great, but the rattle makes it sound like a cheap phone. At this point I don't know if I should try another store or just live with it.

That's ridiculous!!!! DEMAND they exchange it and speak to a manager. A loud rattle is NOT normal. IT should only rattle when you tap on it or set it down.

My iPhone 5 was made Week 49 (Dec) and is absolutely flawless. Took many to get there though, I won't lie.

I think you should call Apple and ask to speak to a SENIOR Apple Advisor. I have dealt with many regarding defective iPhone 4S'.

Cholcobo3

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
My 64Gb Black AT&T made the rattle noise, and it was promptly replaced by one that did NOT rattle the week following release. I personally tested the display models, every single one, and found the 16Gb models rattled and the 32/64 models did NOT, except for one. My understanding that a LOUD rattle means a loose battery, which can be fixed, but a slight rattle means you just got unlucky. They don't provide replacements for slight rattles anymore. :-(

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Mine is also making a rattle noise, even when my phone is on vibrate it rattles even more, doesn't seem right to me. Week 47.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
My 64Gb Black AT&T made the rattle noise, and it was promptly replaced by one that did NOT rattle the week following release. I personally tested the display models, every single one, and found the 16Gb models rattled and the 32/64 models did NOT, except for one. My understanding that a LOUD rattle means a loose battery, which can be fixed, but a slight rattle means you just got unlucky. They don't provide replacements for slight rattles anymore. :-(

It's been gone over a million times. A slight rattle when tapped or set down is normal. It's the autofocus lens that must remain loose to function. I big thud when the phone is shaken is a loose battery and needs to be repaired. Now some phones don't rattle as much when tapped or set down, but again, it's normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.